Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Dec 2001, 21:48 (Ref:184803)   #1
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WORST car EVER!

What car do you think deserves this award?!
Old 12 Dec 2001, 12:37 (Ref:184980)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I nominate the Vauxhall Corsa I once had as a hire car. It had absolutely no redeaming features, it was slow, handled very poorly and was painted a nasty colour (purple). Other manufacturers can make fun and interesting small cars, so why can't General Motors?
Old 12 Dec 2001, 17:01 (Ref:185048)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is a hard question, there are so many bad cars, new and old.
I cant stand Nissan Micra's though, because they are always driven at 5mph, usually by some old ***** else some dork who is twice the size of the car
Old 12 Dec 2001, 19:24 (Ref:185109)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've said before here the car I detest. The Fiat Hideously Ugly.

But I don't know if my just hating it counts. It probably doesn't qualify as the worst car ever!!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 00:21 (Ref:185260)   #5
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I hate the Multipla too, so it's now got more votes than anything else. I hate minis too, can I vote for that in runners up spot.

That just upset a lot of people here. I need to add a "Runs away and hides" smiley
Old 13 Dec 2001, 00:47 (Ref:185276)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the accolade of "worst car" should be applied when even the Owners Club takes on the mantle of a self-help group.

Step forward the Wartburg Knight.

This car stopped being imported into the UK when it was discovered that brand-new Wartburgs were going to fail any applicable emissions standards. This was in the mid 1970s.

And the poor maligned Wartburg also lacked the endearing lunacy which makes Trabants so collectible.

But the Owners Club had the final word. One of the club window stickers reads "You are following a Wartburg. Without a doubt, the worst car in the world."
Old 13 Dec 2001, 03:30 (Ref:185310)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's a path the Lightburn Zeta might have followed...
Old 13 Dec 2001, 09:29 (Ref:185369)   #8
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Check out some of the worst cars at www.uglycars.co.uk

Old 13 Dec 2001, 18:21 (Ref:185535)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF

You gotta be kidding! I like to sleep soundly at night. No nightmares for me!!
Old 16 Dec 2001, 01:44 (Ref:186382)   #10
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF

Ugh... Not only did the makers of the site had so little taste to claim DS was ugly (and Isetta, for that matter), and to recieve the nomination for my car (Fiat 127, but that's more a proud owner speaking than realindignation), but they did not even have enough common sense to make the text on the site readable (black letters on dark background)...
Old 17 Dec 2001, 09:39 (Ref:186829)   #11
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For an Australian this is easy. It has to be the Holden Camira. It was Genral Motors Holdens first attempt at a front wheel drive car. It was released in 1982 and promptly won the most prestigious Wheels Car Of The Year award amid much fan fair. It was powered by a 4 cylinder which has been found around the world in Europe in Astra's and the like and in Asia in Daewoo's. At the time this engine was seriously lacking in almost all dept's. The car was extremmly poor build quaility and drove like an absoult pig. Among it's problems where cracking fire walls, throughing cams belts and bend valves because of, broke engine mounts constantly and was just bloody awful. Suffice to see it died a sad death just when Holden got it right in 1988
Old 18 Dec 2001, 00:44 (Ref:187133)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

Yes, it's a shame GM-H didn't do the same good job on that car that they had on the original Commodore when they brought the design in from Germany. There were something like 180 extra pieces, I think, of bodywork strengthening or gussetting went into the Commodore for Australian production, with obvious results.

The engine may have had its flaws too, but as the bugs were ironed out at injection added it became a very potent and reliable unit... ask owners of 1.8-litre Pulsars what they think.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 11:20 (Ref:187233)   #13
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I owned a 1.8 lt Pulsar SSS sedan, that was a great car with a fine engine.

I have another Aussie worst car. The Ford Capri (crapi) Convertible. It put a shame to the Capri name plate. You can still see the ford dealers cringe whenever the name is mentioned.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 12:15 (Ref:187249)   #14
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama
I have another Aussie worst car. The Ford Capri (crapi) Convertible. It put a shame to the Capri name plate. You can still see the ford dealers cringe whenever the name is mentioned.
The local Ford dealer had a Crapri sitting in the showroom with one back wheel up on a ramp to tilt the car to show it off better. Guess what happened when some smart prick opened the door.......yes it took some effort to shut it again
Old 19 Dec 2001, 23:11 (Ref:187866)   #15
Ray Bell
Veteran

Yes, that Capri was a strange animal... front wheel drive, designed (I imagine) to look something like the Mazda MX5, but equipped with the Mazda 323 FWD package... still stuck in the front!

Anyone who knows me knows I don't like FWD... but then we are speaking of cars for an enthusiast, aren't we?

No? Well, I suggested the Lightburn Zeta in an earlier post... here's a bit about this little animal:

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/00FQ9044100504.html

Please note that this car - or three of them, anyway - entered as a team in the 1964 Ampol Trial, a round-Australia bash of about 7000 miles. I think they finished, too, but must have been a real trial to their drivers.

Good lookin', eh?
Old 2 Jan 2002, 20:28 (Ref:192894)   #16
Neal.M
Rookie

Neal.M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Worst car ever for me would have to be the fiat uno a box on wheels if ever I saw one
Old 13 Jan 2002, 12:17 (Ref:197956)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I put my AU Falcon in for a service and they gave me a Ford KA for the day. Gutless, ugly, noisy. What the hell were they thinking. It would have been a ****box 20 years ago.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 13:14 (Ref:197980)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just checked out that link Ray. Unbelievable! Did they really mean to make it THAT ugly! Was it designed by blind people perhaps. Maybe a committee of them, who never met, ever.

Chain drive, you're kdding right? The engine runs backwards in reverse!
Old 14 Jan 2002, 06:48 (Ref:198390)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
almost every concept car
Old 14 Jan 2002, 11:41 (Ref:198468)   #20
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

No? Well, I suggested the Lightburn Zeta in an earlier post... here's a bit about this little animal:

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/00FQ9044100504.html

Good lookin', eh?
Ahhhh, it's giving me nightmares!!
Old 14 Jan 2002, 18:49 (Ref:198629)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Ray, that is one ugly piece of work!!!!!

As for ugly cars, I saw a Pink xe Fairlane the other day and nearly had to pull over to barf. Someone, please , tell me Ford didn't bring this out as a standard colour and I was looking at a respray..............PLEASE !!!!

The owners, if responsible , should be shot

Old 15 Jan 2002, 13:37 (Ref:198973)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know where Guy is coming from on the Corsa - we rented an early one and even my wife's size 3 1/2 feet were forced to operate two pedals at once as they were so close together

Can I add the XR3i that we once had at work - didn't like the owner much either - awful machine with unbelieveably heavy steering

But worst of all was a Porsche 924 leant whilst my 911 was in for a service - the badge was a lie obviously - the engine was in the wrong place - it had no performance either in a straight line or round corners - I doubt it would even have made a desirable Audi or VW or whatever it was supposed to have been originally
Old 16 Jan 2002, 10:58 (Ref:199424)   #23
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to nominate the Ford Fiesta Courtesy Car that I am driving at the moment.

It handles like a Blamonge, has all the chassis rigidity of spagetti and I hate it. In fact the only way that I could probably warm to it is with a Flame thrower and a can of Esso unleaded plus.

The miserable little 1.1 Litre engine chews up far more petrol than my little MG..... and that has a 1.8 injection engine!!!

Can't wait to get my car back on the road so that I can get rid of this effluent on wheels.....
Old 17 Jan 2002, 22:15 (Ref:200393)   #24
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No sorry it has to be the Nissan Micra.

You just know they will wait forever at a roundabout.
Have to engage brain, gear and release handbrake 5 sec after the green light before carefully pulling away.
Let every car out of a junction even though the road behind is clear apart from youself
Brake heavily from 15mph for that long sweeping 90 mph bend 1/2 mile ahead.

Although I did follow some Suzuki thing the other day, people carrier style but matchbox size. Body kit type sills and valance. all 750cc or something, maybe just graduated from a Micra.

Should stick a sparkler on the roof to make it look like a REAL fairground dodgem car

SL
Old 18 Jan 2002, 07:06 (Ref:200506)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Now that's a path the Lightburn Zeta might have followed...
I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT ANYONE ACTUALLY REMEMBERS THIS FUNNY CONTRAPTION, MADE BY A MANUFACTURER (sorry for caps) of lousy washing machines. I remember them competing in the '64 Ampol Trial, where they avoided as many of the special stages as possible in an effort to "finish" the event regardless of how many penalty points they scored in missed check points. Alas, they didn't finish. I also remember seeing them in a showroom in Brisbane, but I do not ever remember seeing one on the road. I don't know where they got their engine from, but I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it came from a bored out lawnmower engine.
From such humble beginnings, the idea must have spawned for the Trabant and the Wartburg.

Funny somebody else remarked on teh poor Vauxhall Corsa - I hired an Opel Corsa in Portugal, and it served us well. I was able to put two full sized Samsonite suitcases in the rear boot compartment, something that even the sales staff of these cars did not know in the showrooms. There were no opportunities to drive this car fast or hard, petrol was so expensive that I just took things gently on all roads. The car served us well, so I have no complaints on this.
However, I did hire a Vauxhall small sedan (can't remember the model) and it was so noisy that above 45 MPH, you could not hear the radio even with the windows shut. It was so bad that I took it back to Avis who lent me a VW Polo in its place.
I later complained to Avis about hte whole shemozzle, and they upgraded the Polo to a Volvo 850 Station Wagon with heated seats for the last two days hire.