Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 21 Sep 2005, 06:26 (Ref:1412802)   #1
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sutton job

Well it has been a while and I think most of the people that were having interviews have had them know so how did it all go? Has anyone been offered a job yet?
For anyone not sure what I am talking about this was the job at sutton motorsport images.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1412824)   #2
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was the last to have the interview on Monday. 16 were interviewed for the job as junior. I was told that a decision probably would not be made until next week as Keith and co went off to Brazil yesterday.

One person will be taken on within the next month and they may be looking to take someone on again at the end of the year. But they won't advertise for that, they will pick another person from the 16.

Alex
Old 21 Sep 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1412868)   #3
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's going to be a pretty close called thing.

Mine went quite well, as I know Mikes did, and Peter May too. We all felt that they were suitably impressed with our websites, photos and motorsport knowledge.

So all we can really gather from this at the moment is that to get down to the 16 or so who got interviews from simply thousands who must have applied is really not bad going at all. Good luck to everyone who had a interview.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1413715)   #4
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this still ongoing?.
If so, then this has to be one of the longest interview/appointment processes ever!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1413724)   #5
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Well you have to consider that thanks to the ITV advertisement and to a lesser extent the little ad in AutoSport etc, they got simply thousands of applications. So obviously it would have take time to pick the serious applications from the wannabe stuff who probably don't know how to take a motorsport picture.

Then they had to shcedule all the appointments etc, and then find time to review them all. Then consider that they are also busy going to the Grandprix, which has an ever increasing rate of races.

No wonder why it's taking some time.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1419362)   #6
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Is this still ongoing?.
If so, then this has to be one of the longest interview/appointment processes ever!
I couldn't help smiling at this suggestion - I am currently working in recruitment for the NHS and it is quite simply the most bureaucratic, long winded and painful process I have ever encountered and given that, with all the checks and things that have to be done, it can easily take 6 months from applying to starting work it's a wonder anyone ever gets employed!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1419382)   #7
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
Apparently they were over subscribed with applications and it didn't help when ITV stuck there noses in and published the news on the website.

When they are being vetted by Keith Sutton & Co it was difficult for them to sit down and spend a good week going through them as they were hardly in the office.

Alex
Old 28 Sep 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1419408)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keith Sutton is a top bloke - he was Ayrton's personal photographer if you didn't know.. Known him years! Good luck everyone, the lucky 'winner' is sure to have a good time working for Keith.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1420027)   #9
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Yeah, I currently work for the NHS, and it was quite a long process even though it was practically a dead cert me getting the job. But payroll is something else, it took them a year! to pay me correctly. The amount of times I had to send them my bank account details. How hard is it to copy down a few numbers? I wouldn't mind so much, but half the time I sent them typed memos so bad handwriting simply can't be an excuse.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1423614)   #10
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I got my letter today.

Well, this time I didn't get the job. Which is a shame. But still many positives have come from it. I know now for instance that the people who matter, consider my motorsport knowledge and enthusiasm couple with my photography skills to be very promising, and they'l be keeping my deatails/portfolio on file, so I can be contacted when the next position comes up. They encourage us to keep in contact to update portfolios as well.

Good luck to the others.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1423662)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got the same letter as Jim.

It's a shame after all the buildup, but I suppose you've got to take some heart from the fact that there was a big response to the job, and we got as far as the interview stage. Plus the fact I've only really been doing the whole photography for a couple of years (only this year seriously!), and I've done quite well at it so far I think, so there's plenty of prospects for the future.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1423663)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hard luck guys - seems that you both do what you do very well, so there is reason for optimism for the future! (And it is good news for the FF1600 site )
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1423664)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah that's true, you'll have to put up with me for a while yet!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1423785)   #14
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
It isn't me either. So I would be very interested to know who got it and why they got it.

But..and its not a defence...I seriously could not have taken the job even if they offered it to me. 12,000 a year and they wanted me to move near Sutton HQ. There is no way with rent and other expenses that I could of taken the job because I worked out I would be receiving about £800 a month and spend out about £1000.

I asked about camera equipment of which they told me that in the future they will be looking for photographers to buy there own equipment. Yep...7,000 worth of equipment to be bought by yourself...but don't worry..they will lend you the money at 0% interest.

Alex
Old 4 Oct 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1423801)   #15
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread has made very interesting reading, So for a photographer working for a top agency - Forzaf1's comments lead me to believe that they pay fee (quoted £12000) - the question is
1 - Is that your wage and you can claim expenses on top - ie cost of travel too and from meetings, or do you have to take your expenses out of your wage.
2 - How many days motorsport would they expect you to attend for that sort of money.
3 - Do you get a fee in addition for any pictures published or do they (the agency) become the sole owner of the pictures you take whilst on a job for them.

Sorry if I seem ignorant of the ways the system works but I am curious.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1423805)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I assume you would be tied to Sutton and wouldn't be able to sell to teams etc on a freelance basis. Is there any bonus based on sales of photos you'd taken? £12K a year and they expect you to spend £7K on equipment to do the job? Think I'd tell them where to stick it.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1423810)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
12K seems a reasonable salary for what is in effect a trainee position.

It's clearly with a firm which gives a lot of visibility and opportunity to progress - which could ultimately lead to the big money
Old 4 Oct 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1423814)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
£12K would be fine for a trainee position but not if you're expected to buy £7K worth of kit, unless it's interest free over 5-10 years.

If you went for a trainee position in McDonalds they wouldn't expect you to supply your own deep fat frier and cash register.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1423838)   #19
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havent had my letter today guess I will get it tmrw.
Redshoes I will point out that I was told about the possibility of photographer buying there own gear. First they told me that should that happen (and it is many years away from happening yet) then the wage would go up to represent the cost of buying the latest gear. The reason for it was they have a huge insurance cost due to so much gear getting lost/pinched and broken, there view was that should the photographer own it he would take a lot better care of it, to be honest I have to agree.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1423841)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

That makes a bit more sense. The way forza described it you've effectively spent the first 9 months salary before you've even started.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1423858)   #21
Peter_May
Rookie

England
Maidstone
Peter_May should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems I received pretty much the same letter as Jim and Mike. Disappointed obviously but it's a confidence booster to know I got as far as the interview stage.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1423862)   #22
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they say to anyone else that they would be conducting 2nd interviews?
Old 4 Oct 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1423925)   #23
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
They did say that there is a possibilty of recruiting an extra member of staff in the new year. They'l invite people back (on thier files) for another interview if that proves to be the case.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1424014)   #24
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Taking pictures with my own gear and giving them to someone else to make a fortune out of-no thanks!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1424056)   #25
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Hey brickkicker you might be the lucky one!

Ah well, commiserations to those who didn't get it, we'll just have to do it the hard way...