Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 May 2004, 20:17 (Ref:968075)   #1
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross Grand Prix 2004(confirmed)

2004 Rallycross Gp at Croft, dates 6th, 7th November. Early details confirm this could well be a very successful event. Any other details I receive I will add to this thread. GP, Division 1 cars
Inter-nations, 2wd, team of 5
Old 11 May 2004, 21:56 (Ref:968175)   #2
Dunnes
Rookie

Dunnes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Still plenty of time to get cancelled tho. I know this is very negative but why would this year be any different to last?
Would European racers be more willing to come over due to the restrictors on the supercars? If so why would modified be more interested?

I hope all works out well as i wouldnt mind seeing more of the european racers, hopefully alot more like Bergstrom.....

Feel free to mok and tear apart my comments

Mike

Roll on Knockhill
Old 12 May 2004, 07:33 (Ref:968376)   #3
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Barrie but there is only one place a Rallycross Grand Prix should be (in my personal opinion) and that is Brands Hatch. The track has a natural ampitheatre which makes it ideal for the fast action sport of rallycross.
Old 12 May 2004, 09:40 (Ref:968477)   #4
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Stevie A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Mike said, i'm still doubting whether the Europeans will want to come over. If it's pure Div 1 regs, then the only British representation will be Gollop and McCann at the moment.

If the regs allow British Supercars to race as well, we'll have the same situation as last year. The reasons Hansen & Co pulled out last year is that they thought hiking the weight of the unrestricted cars to 1220kg was not enough (ie they were scared of getting beaten). Unrestricted cars in Britain run at 1220kg at the moment.

If this year is gonna be a success, more British cars need to fit restrictors and switch from slicks to euro reg grooved tyres.

In my opinion, the GP should be how it used to be..........a bit of free for all......race what you've got, providing it fits the regs of a rallycross class in some country.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:29 (Ref:968578)   #5
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, but I think the "old GP" format is more important than the old GP venue. Not to keen on the the Brands Rallycross layout.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:59 (Ref:968609)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevie A
If this year is gonna be a success, more British cars need to fit restrictors and switch from slicks to euro reg grooved tyres.
Isn't Mcluskey supposed to be fitting the restrictor to the 306? I believe that Carnegie is also considering going with the restrictor. Dorans fiesta should also be up and running by the time of the gp - this will have the restrictor fitted from the start. Tony Bell presumably already runs with a restrictor on the Corolla. That's another 4 cars to add to the list (and it's possible that others will be running with restrictors by then too).

As for the location - Brands or Lydden. For the purely selfish reason that they're easy for me to get to, Croft is miles away!
Old 12 May 2004, 12:19 (Ref:968626)   #7
Dunnes
Rookie

Brands would be nightmare.... for me anyway two weekends in a row going to Brands Hatch, just a couple of miles to travel from Leeds.
Havent been to croft yet next month will be my first so i cant really comment on if this is a good venue but my favorite would be Lydden, ok facilities arnt great (dam cold shower for me last time) but its got to be one of the best tracks for viwing the races.

5 cars from each country....hmmm maybe we better make that county!!!!
Old 12 May 2004, 15:04 (Ref:968805)   #8
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
I've just read the full regulations and these state that the GP is open to FIA Division 1 cars with the exception that tyre choice and numbers (theres now a restriction in Europe of 2 (i think) sets per weekend) are free.
Old 12 May 2004, 15:06 (Ref:968807)   #9
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally think that the RallyX Gp should be at Brands.

Much better for the audiences and i think that it is a better track.

Thats my opinion anyway
Old 12 May 2004, 15:07 (Ref:968808)   #10
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Regarding the location of the GP, Croft's 3 year deal with the MSA ends this year so from 2005 onwards it's up for grabs for any of the circuits.

I suppose it'll depend on how well this years event is organised to whether it stays or moves on.
Old 12 May 2004, 15:12 (Ref:968813)   #11
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still think that it would benafit mkore being at Brands, but as you say, we shall see next year
Old 14 May 2004, 09:29 (Ref:970701)   #12
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Why so negative guys. There's alot of good things going on behind the scene's at present, rare chance to veiw these fantastic European cars and drivers. British Supercar drivers have been told and have given a positive response to the Div 1 regs, Slick tyres etc. I have to admit Croft wouldn't be my first choice venue but give them credit there putting alot of preperation into this, there inter-nations events in the 90's were superb. Living in GB and Ireland as a rallycross fan we don't get the full picture whats going on in main land Europe. Motorsport news this week haven't mentioned the GP or that its the first round of the ERC in Portugal this weekend, thats not good enough as the ERC is looking very good at present, yes I no its because no GB participants at present, but that will change this year, Gollop hinted he will do 2 ERC rounds, McCluskey looking at a 206 to use in ERC, Evans, Bell, Cross, Carnegie can easily restrict his car and has been to Belguim in recent years. The old days of free regs are now gone sadly, safety and professionalism are the way to go now, Div 1 reg's are a fantastic way of closing the racing up, some of the footage Ive seen of last years ERC the racing was really close with plenty of overtaking, thats what rallycross is all about. The organisers of this event have rallycross interests at heart and no what is needed.
Old 18 May 2004, 17:42 (Ref:974614)   #13
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Huge entry in France this weekend. Portugal well supported as well.
Old 18 May 2004, 19:22 (Ref:974701)   #14
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Have seen the french entry list......would love to go and see that some time. The ERC normally gets 35,000+ spectators out there!!!
Old 18 May 2004, 22:43 (Ref:974936)   #15
Dunnes
Rookie

stevie you get a minibus organised an ill have a seat... would love to see some of the european races, give us something to compare the brits against.
Maybe next year would be good when either doran/carnegie/golop/mcclusky are in the ERC.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:36 (Ref:976513)   #16
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
hmmmmmmmm.......sounds like a good plan. Am actually considering taking the car over to either the Dutch or Belgian round of the ERC later in the year.
Old 20 May 2004, 20:50 (Ref:977001)   #17
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trips to the belgian And Dutch rounds are well worth it, I have been going to these for the past 5 yrs! Duivelsberg is the best circuit for veiwing as you can see all the circuit and the supernationals which are normaly there as a support race are superb! The Dutch round is a quick track with some ultra quick sections the top boys are really shifting.
It generally takes me 4and half hrs from my house to the tracks thats including the channel tunnel too! catch the early shuttle and im at the track for 9.30.I normally go just for the Sunday as i live in Margate in Kent.Oh and the weather has always been hot when ive been going wot more could you ask for.
So basicaly any chance you get you should damm well go!!!!!!! counting the rounds till im off!
Old 27 May 2004, 18:12 (Ref:985328)   #18
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Croft circuit is my local track - in its defence its is good for spectators, especially rallycross.

Last years cancellation was unfortunate fingers crossed this year should make up for it. As with other threads think the lack of promotion of events rather than location has more to do with spectator numbers.

As for drivers not coming last year think that had more to do with cost and being too close to European rallycross round/GP.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1023888)   #19
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Early entries have already been annouced. Confirms the organisers are putting alot of effort into making this event a success. With all the doom and gloom around British rallycross at the moment, the GP will be a great end to a turbulent year. www.BritishRallycrossGP.com
Old 3 Jul 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1024955)   #20
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry Barrie but there is only one place a Rallycross Grand Prix should be (in my personal opinion) and that is Brands Hatch. The track has a natural ampitheatre which makes it ideal for the fast action sport of rallycross
Couldnt agree more, i cold say without a doubt that you would get alot more people if the GP was held in brands.

Julian Is currently waiting for pistons for dermots engine (apparenlty youve to change alot to put an restrictor on) not sure about john, havnt spoke to him recently.

I know evan's car is finished *or so he says*

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 3 Jul 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1025060)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think McCluskeys engine has been converted now - I'm sure that I read somewhere that Will Gollop had done the work.

Do you Know if Chris Evans has any plans to run the car at events before the GP?
Old 3 Jul 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1025132)   #22
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BertMk2 the plan is to have the car out for the two mondello events and all events after, as far as i know it might be doing the round before that but its nothing solid.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 3 Jul 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1025209)   #23
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Hello Bert, there will be a new Chris Evans website available soon with details of his future plans www.ChristopherEvansRacing.com
Old 3 Jul 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1025229)   #24
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
lol yes run by peter Stott, it is for media purposes apparently (unless im being phased out )

Old 3 Jul 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1025240)   #25
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
site is now offline untill mentioned matters are sorted