Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Jul 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1660844)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vauxhall to ditch the BTCC hatchback?......

there is a thread on the autosport site saying something along these lines......but I aint a member so dont have access......its hardly a surprise, it has been trounced by the dynamics-honda integras - that thing is not exactly the slippriest looking of cars in terms of aerodynamics.....the old honda civics proved that was the wrong way to go - Neal said they just hit a brick wall at about 130mph and that was it......they put the same engine in the integra and look what happened.......so what will vauxhall use next year as a base car?.....I'm assuming the new toy will be built to WTCC regs????.....
Old 20 Jul 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1660854)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There's a simliar article in Motorsport news (funnily enough ), works entries next year will have to conform to the S2000 regs so Vauxhall will have to develop a new car anyway (has to be a 4/5 door so the sport hatches are out), they are currently evaluating which model to go for with the Vectra and Corsa being two options.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1660865)   #3
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the corsa you must be joking???......I thought that would have been way too small for the regs?......surely they would have a massive aero advantage if they ran a corsa?....it would have a tiny frontal area compared to say a seat-leon.......and thats a small car.......I cant help but think the vectra is too big to be competitive???......

surely its gonna be the plain old 4 door astra
Old 20 Jul 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1660892)   #4
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
erm right a vauxhall corsa in BTCC what next pigs will be flying they will probably use the 5 door astra most likely cant see them using the vectra because of its size and weight would probably put it at a disadvantage compared to the leon's and integra's and the old yet quick MG ZS
Old 20 Jul 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1660921)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Vauxhall will have to build something to S2000/WTCC regs next year so the Sports Hatch is definately out.

I doubt the Corsa would meet the minimum length requirement. The regular 5-door Astra hatchback is likely to suffer from similar aerodynamic problems to the 3-door Sports Hatch, shape wise it's not hugely different. The new Vectra is a big bus but Chevrolet have proved in WTCC that's not necessarily a problem.

The Autosport story says that they will use the Vectra.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1660930)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Vauxhall will have to build something to S2000/WTCC regs next year so the Sports Hatch is definately out.

I doubt the Corsa would meet the minimum length requirement. The regular 5-door Astra hatchback is likely to suffer from similar aerodynamic problems to the 3-door Sports Hatch, shape wise it's not hugely different. The new Vectra is a big bus but Chevrolet have proved in WTCC that's not necessarily a problem.

The Autosport story says that they will use the Vectra.
Isn't the Lacetti smaller as for example the Vectra, Accord and MG?

If I am correct 3-door hatchbacks are allowed in S2000.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1660943)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I thought the Lacetti was closer in size to the old shape Vectra, I'm not really sure.

3-door hatchbacks are only allowed via local homologation or special dispensation.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1660948)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vectra's 3cm longer apparently (road car)

Can't see a problem with the Vectra's return...at least it's not as ugly anymore.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1660952)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
...at least it's not as ugly anymore.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1660963)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the 'original' Vectra looked an ace touring car, especially in 1999 and 2000.

If Vauxhall get their sums right they should be competitive against the hatchback Seat next year.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1660967)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I thought the 'original' Vectra looked an ace touring car, especially in 1999 and 2000.
I mean the ugly Vectra which is succeeded by the new Vectra. The Vectra of the late 90s looked also great.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1660981)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah that one! The facelift aint that much different!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1660995)   #13
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
3-door hatchbacks are only allowed via local homologation or special dispensation.
3-door S2000 hatches could be raced if they apply to TOCA for local homologation then... didn't a ETCC team run a 3-door Civic a few years back?
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1661007)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
3-door S2000 hatches could be raced if they apply to TOCA for local homologation then... didn't a ETCC team run a 3-door Civic a few years back?
Peugeot ran one just last year
Old 20 Jul 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1661109)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Vectra is a welcome addition, its a "proper" touring car IMO, better than all these smaller hatches the BTCC has these days unfortunatly. IMO of course.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1661112)   #16
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
The Vectra is a welcome addition, its a "proper" touring car IMO, better than all these smaller hatches the BTCC has these days unfortunatly. IMO of course.
I agree it's the best option Vauxhall have considering how poor the new Astra is...but I think that's more a comment on the pitifulness of the current Vauxhall range than a complement on the Vectra.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1661123)   #17
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
IMO indeed... there's no proper definition of what a 'touring car' actually is. The manufacturers will race whatever sells well, and these days 4/5dr saloons have become the domain of the company car buyer. Bring on the MPV/hot hatch racing
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1685100)   #18
tonyp
Rookie

tonyp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall BTCC 2007

heard a rumour that vauxhall are scrapping astra and bringing new vxr vectra into the fold.

anyone heard anything?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1685111)   #19
cos
Veteran

England
Well they'll need a new car built to S2000 regulations anyway, and the Vectra is looking likely at the moment. They might run this year's Astras in a satellite team as well though.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1685476)   #20
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it (when I was at RML the other week), the main problem with the Lacetti is it's width. The widest car in the WTCC is the BMW, and that is it's advantage.

The Lacetti's floorpan is the same as the Astra, as it's the Daewoo Nubira in "old money".

I now have a Lacetti in my workshop, and after close looking around it, it's Astra under the skin, though it won't be for long.

So, one would assume, that 888 will be merrily working on a Victor, errr I mean Vectra.

Hazard, you say the new Astra is poor? Do you own one, have you owned one? In my experience, they are a great improvement on the Astra E, (or was it F), but like all GM cars of late, they get heavier, the engine's are no more powerful. They could do with a couple of "big engine'd" Astra's or even Corsa's, ie: put the 2.0L in the Corset, and the 3.2 in the Astra (driven at all four corners) to rival the Golof R32. But the committee get's worried that grandma might frighten herself if she bought one. Yet they sell a 400bhp V8 powered beastie that is nothing short of an exciting animal (Monaro VXR), they brought us the fastest production five seater four door car of it's time (Lotus Carlton), yet the rest of the range is bland. I personally was gutted when the canned the "new Omega" project which would have seen Holden Commodore VZ's rebadged as Omega's.

Back to the thread.

Astra too narrow, just like the Lacetti.
Vectra probably too heavy, but it'll have to do.

I do hear on the rumour mill that there may well be a bio-ethanol powered Lacetti in the BTCC next year.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1685529)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Are you involved with that then when you have a Lacetti in your workshop ?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1685530)   #22
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
I do hear on the rumour mill that there may well be a bio-ethanol powered Lacetti in the BTCC next year.
That's the dream!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1688377)   #23
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Are you involved with that then when you have a Lacetti in your workshop ?
Nope, my Lacetti will be powered by a different variety of Chevy.

See my (needs updating) site http://www.teamdangerous.com for what I have now.

I've done some rough sketches, based on a DTM style of bodywork, and it looks pretty fair!! It was a case of do I destroy my existing Astra, or start with a clean sheet of paper. Those nice people at RML have helped me with the latter!

Could it be Bio-Ethanol powered? Now that is fairly high on the list of ideas. I'm am keen to make use of this "green" fuel. For something like my project, it means having a tank big enough!! I carry just under 20 gallons of petrol now, but would need probably 30 gallons of ethanol for the same distance. It's not 50% heavier because Ethanol is slightly lighter than petrol per litre.

It's early days in my project. I have to sort out my woes with the Astra first, so the Lacetti will probably lay dormant until early next year when I get some workshop space.

On the subject of the Bio-ethanol BTCC Lacetti - a great idea, just as long as Mr Gow gives the Lacetti the same "performance breaks" that it get's in the WTCC, and a little more for having to run the bigger tank for the increased fuel requirement.

Does anyone know if the Bio-ethanol Astra is given any weight "advantage"?
If Ricardo have done their homework right with the engine, it should produce more than the petrol engine, and you can save a little weight running a smaller radiator, less coolant, etc....

Rob.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1688560)   #24
Marc27
Rookie

Marc27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No the techspeed Bio ethanol astra is given no extra weight dispensations. neither is Jason hughes' MG which now also runs on Bio Ethanol.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1688573)   #25
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc27
No the techspeed Bio ethanol astra is given no extra weight dispensations. neither is Jason hughes' MG which now also runs on Bio Ethanol.
wrong.
they are allowed to run 10kg's lighter to allow for the extra fuel they have to carry.