Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jun 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3095996)   #76
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
You can see why the Dutch series invites you to do a season . . . as opposed to a race.

I guess the underlying issue is JT could have canned the event due to lack of interest, if he'd known what the real numbers where going to be, or, as optimistic as he is, or was, thought it would break even if 20% of HRDC members showed up.

The alternative is our entries will go up to cover his potential loss in future, or it will cease to exist as we know it, we can't expect a premium series with good value to continue like that.

The Goodwood argument doesn't wash, its been the same every year for 15 years now . . .

as an Aside, Mr Freight, you've set your stall out clearly from the outset and JT knew, nothing anyone can do about that, likewise I have a potential problem with Donnington ( not least the M1!) but disaster aside neither of us have flaked at the last minute, which is whats so potentially damaging.

Last edited by zefarelly; 21 Jun 2012 at 15:06.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3096034)   #77
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone has made great comments on this issue and we've pretty much exhausted this part of the thread. Claire has set out the reality of no shows and it's a testamont to her and the 360 team's enthusiasm and commitment that they continue. I am sure JT will as well.

There's no ill will at all from me to anyone, just a disappointment that things didn't pan out as they could have. I wish all my fellow drivers well and can't wait to see everyone at Donington - I think the boss is sending the entry in today.

Has anyone else any thoughts on the race at Spa? Enjoy it? Brian, you are most quiet! I thought the CSCC SS races were great to watch.

John, forgot to say, looking forward to seeing you on Sunday too. I think our rain dance might be working again and we have even started it!
Old 21 Jun 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3096072)   #78
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Quote) I was talking Dover/Folkstone, but as others have said, whilst Hull is much better for us and a pleasant way to start a weekend with an overnight crossing, its darned expensive.....Used it last time we went to Spa - spanner-weilding for a friend running a Radical, a few years back - but that was without taking a trailer.(Quote)

I too used Hull/Rotterdam in 2005 or 2006 and the difference in the cost of this route against the cost of Dover/Dunkerque was very little when adding the extra fuel cost of York/Dover and return. And on the plus side was a cabin overnight on both journeys. However, P&O now seem to be pricing this option out of the equation.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3096110)   #79
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
Has anyone else any thoughts on the race at Spa? Enjoy it? Brian, you are most quiet! I thought the CSCC SS races were great to watch.
Yes Louise, I've been a bit busy since getting back. We now have 2 days a week looking after our baby grandson since our daughter has gone back to work. It'll be a year or so before I can get him out into the garage to help with the spannering. I did my pre-race spanner check this afternoon in readiness for the FISCAR race this coming Sunday - we have 4 Elites on the grid.

I have also been trying to resolve my charging problem on the Elite. At the end of practice, the wipers were going extremely slowly and the battery was so flat that as I got back into the paddock, there wasn't even enough power for the fuel pump.

I borrowed a spare dynamo from Ian Hullet and after we remembered to flash it from -ve to +ve earth, it seemed to be charging OK. Unfortunately in the race, the charging ceased and I finished with the battery flat again. Fault diagnosed as a degraded connection on the main feed from the dynamo, but also my original dynamo is not doing the business - even after being treated to a new set of brushes.

But back to the race. I was also disappointed in the size of the grid as this is the one circuit that can take a huge entry and not be crowded. But less than 30 cars on a 7 km circuit takes some of the enjoyment away. The other members of the HRDC missed a wonderful opportunity as it is always a privilege to race at Spa-Francorchamps - even in the wet. In fact I am trying to remember the last time I managed a dry race at Spa.....a good few years ago, but I keep coming back. I still don't like the modified Bus Stop chicane, it used to be so much fun previously - thanks Bernie!

Friday qualifying provided half an hour to refamiliarise myself with the circuit, at least they haven't changed it since last year. We had a red flag after about 20 minutes when the Lumbertubs Sprite visited the armco.

I am not a great fan of the rain, so qualifying 7th was OK - at least I was ahead of Jim Prentice in the Le Mans prototype Sprite which was my class competition.

The rolling start on Saturday morning in the rain seemed to go OK, particularly after the drivers all agreed not to overtake before the start line gantry, even though the CoC had said that we would be racing once the lights went green.

For the first 15 minutes or so, I enjoyed watching an ill handling Cortina struggle around the back part of the circuit. Sideways for a lot of the time, I think Joe should be very pleased with himself for bringing it home unscathed in the conditions. It was only a matter of waiting for an opportunity to get past and it was always going to be at Stavelot (although I think they've renamed it) as this was regularly the place where he was most out of shape.

I pitted early and came out to a fairly empty track. The only interest for me was when I caught up with Andy Somerville in the TR4 who had taken over his car from Steve Monk. It took about 2 laps to get past him and then I was back to a lonely race other than lapping the Lincoln Cosmopolitan a few times.

We stayed to watch the Swinging 60s race on Sunday morning - held in brilliant sunshine. Interestingly a number of them suffered from getting close to running out of fuel at the end of the race as the consumption difference between a wet race and a dry one is considerable at this circuit.

A gentle drive back to Calais and then home by 9.00 pm was very civilised and probably better than the journey to Silverstone this coming weekend. And our ferry cost was £98 return for the Jeep and trailer.

I'll be putting my entry in for Donington shortly and will be doing the Touring Car race in the Minx. Can't decide whether to do the GT race in the WSM or the Elite, I'll decide after I see if the Elite behaves itself on Sunday. The forecast indicates that we might be in for some more Spa weather (the Saturday type).
Old 22 Jun 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3096247)   #80
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well said LAK, and Brian, no ill will, just dissapointing.

I'm not aware a Cortina should handle any better, but thats part of the fun! Interestingly, the very well policed Dutch Cortinas where the same pace in the wet.

Unscathed is important, If I don't do that, I'll have to mend it, and pay for it, and until thats done I've got nothing to play with!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3096261)   #81
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Lumbertubs did hit the armco at Campus - I got the rear wheels on the astro-turf and speared off at a fair old rate of knots! Shaun and Dan at CCK waved their magic wands (plus gaffer tape, BBQ grill wire and zip ties) to get Tubby race ready for Saturday's wet race. I had a good fun, but fairly lonely and relatively slow, 67 minute race just wanting to bring the car home after the mess I made of her on Friday! But what an experience - a majestic circuit whatever the weather!

Last edited by Burfs; 22 Jun 2012 at 07:51. Reason: spelling
Old 22 Jun 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3096296)   #82
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfs View Post
Yes, Lumbertubs did hit the armco at Campus - I got the rear wheels on the astro-turf and speared off at a fair old rate of knots! Shaun and Dan at CCK waved their magic wands (plus gaffer tape, BBQ grill wire and zip ties) to get Tubby race ready for Saturday's wet race. I had a good fun, but fairly lonely and relatively slow, 67 minute race just wanting to bring the car home after the mess I made of her on Friday! But what an experience - a majestic circuit whatever the weather!

And a special word of thanks should also go to Tim Cairnes for providing a spare lever arm shock absorber and lower wishbone. This is what makes our type of racing so good - the help from fellow competitors when things go wrong.

Tim did particularly well in his Frogeye in the CSCC Swinging Sixties race, so well done on several levels.

Old 22 Jun 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3096431)   #83
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, sorry, absolutely correct Brian, I should have thanked Tim myself. He and Simon Page were absolutley marvellous, helping out with bits and pieces needed to rebuild the nearside front suspension. Without them I would have had a very different weekend.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3096460)   #84
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'm sure that astroturf was injected with WD-40 . . . only touched it once, I thought the kerbs where slippery enough.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3096464)   #85
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seem's like those who did manage the really enjoyed themselves. The local saying that if its wet in Spa,it will be dry at Nurburgring is apparently true
Would have loved to have stretched the Capri's leg's at this one but just so busy its taken second place for the time being. Called into Spa on the way home though,pouring at the Ring but just showers at Spa,JP had his F2 circus there whilst the Porsches were splashing around,you lot certainlyleft a lot of oil behind though!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3096467)   #86
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great summary Brian. Bet you can't wait for your wee grandson to start spannering although inevitably that will men sharing a car... Good that you and Pat got home okay and that ou're resolved the charging issue. See you on Sunday.

Btw forgot to mention that our Channel Tunnel fee for big George the truck was £180 return with decent times. Ben using the Tunnel forever as I dislike ferries and the prices have mainly Ben pretty reasonable and comparable to the ferry.

A wet Spa means no touching the lines - I dindt but found the river of water at the top of Eau Rouge and that was sobering enough! Zef I watched the first lap of practice fom your incar cmara and it was great to see the Aurelia performing and looking as balanced as it felt. I was taking it easy and pulled over as I was pitting but felt the car had plenty more in him. In the race Jason and I posted near identical fastest times which always amazes me as we've got a data logger and our driving styles are quite different. It just goes to show how compliant the car is - we've just got to learn how to put all the fast sections together!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3096468)   #87
LAK
Racer

Sorry for typos and weird spelling. I blame my iPad keyboard and lack of checking from my side!
Old 22 Jun 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3096592)   #88
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
Sorry for typos and weird spelling. I blame my iPad keyboard and lack of checking from my side!
yea yeah . . . I've seen you delegate . .and Billy's just had his claws done!