Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31 Mar 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3387228)   #6251
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by belt driven View Post
Those are 2 glib answers…

If we were to assume 2.5 hours of continuous running (no pit stops/cautions) to make up 2 laps and 2:00/lap; you would need to AVERAGE 3.2 seconds/lap faster than the class leader(s). Timing/scoring would probably notice many fastest laps. Sorry guys; “good strategy” doesn’t cover that!

I was asking of whomever attended what specific mechanical problems, bad pit stops, time penalties, “bad strategy”, etc. that cost the other guys 2 laps.
Seeing as you can't do 2.5hrs in a GT car, your math is incorrect.

They also don't do 2min/lap.

They had two very, very quick pitstops timed well and managed to work their way back. If the point you are trying to make here is that they benefitted from a wave by, then why not just say that?

What you need to understand is that the race strategy is fluid, not fixed, and it encompasses everything from traffic, to brake changes. It's not as simple as, oh, we got a wave by...now we can push...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 31 Mar 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3387239)   #6252
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The theoretical 2:00/lap is appropriate: #4 Corvette FL was 2:00.216. Class FL was the #97 AM at 1:59.780.

As the theoretical problem is stated, my math is correct.

Some other car(s) had to lose 4-odd minutes more somehow.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3387247)   #6253
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Remember that Tuesday is April 1 (april fool's day). I would be careful not to speculate anything you read or hear about tommorrow.
I'm going with what Graham says... and whatever Graham says.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 01:59 (Ref:3387255)   #6254
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The theoretical 2:00/lap is appropriate: #4 Corvette FL was 2:00.216. Class FL was the #97 AM at 1:59.780.

As the theoretical problem is stated, my math is correct.

Some other car(s) had to lose 4-odd minutes more somehow.
Yes only if you could do 2.5hrs in a stint, and it was pure green flag running. That's physically impossible so your theory is completely flawed, and your theoretical problem is wrong. When trying to do scientific things, you can't ignore the facts. There were yellows, they probably had a wave by, they probably had better pit stops...

2.5hrs is basically three stints. 50-55 minutes is maximum distance on a tank of fuel. If you pit off sequence of the lead groups, get a few yellows, double or triple stint tires and drivers...you can make that time up.

Short of watching the last few hours, I can't explain further how they made the time back....I still have no idea what point you are trying to make here...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Apr 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3387260)   #6255
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The lap-down wave-by was Not in the rules in ALMS. Not in the Rules--Not In Effect. Wasn't there.

If in some way you are trying to say otherwise ... well, speech is free.

I was at the race but I don't recall how Corvette made up that time when it did. I am sure if your point is really to understand that aspect of the race and not just debate, that you can find lap charts, maybe see if you can dig up Daily Sports Car's hourly coverage ... (I might have copies of the pdfs of the ALMS pit notes ... go to the Pit Notes site and see if they do ?) In fact, if your passion to learn is as great as it seems to be, I am sure you will google the race and read every published English-language race report to see if anyone said anything relevant.

I have done the same when I wondered "What happened to that car?" after a race, and sometimes I find a brief note in some odd article from partway through a race which sheds light.

I am eager to hear what you come up with.

here, however, people are discussing specifically the Lap-Down Wave-By, which was a rule in Rolex and is now a rule in TUSC. It was never part of ALMS and thus did not affect the 2013 Sebring 12 Hours.

On a hopefully unrelated note: There is Zero need to resurrect he ALMS/Rolex argument. If the LDWB had been used in ALMS I would have protested it then. And there were several penalty calls made in ALMS, several managerial decisions ... shoot, I spent years on the ALMSfans site tearing the series up because it wouldn't priomote, wouldn't improve its TV production ... But All That Is Over.

Regardless of what Corvette did or didn't do at Sebring in the ALMS years, I want the LDWB Not to be in the rulebook come Sebring 2015.

Anyway, eager to see what you come up with on that Corvette thing.

EDIT:: http://pitnotes.org/tusc.php I checked and they at least have headings for every ALMS year back to the start, so if you peruse the pit notes for that stretch of the 2013 12 Hours you might get some good info.

Last edited by Maelochs; 1 Apr 2014 at 02:22.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 04:34 (Ref:3387274)   #6256
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The lap-down wave-by was Not in the rules in ALMS. Not in the Rules--Not In Effect. Wasn't there.

If in some way you are trying to say otherwise ... well, speech is free.

I was at the race but I don't recall how Corvette made up that time when it did. I am sure if your point is really to understand that aspect of the race and not just debate, that you can find lap charts, maybe see if you can dig up Daily Sports Car's hourly coverage ... (I might have copies of the pdfs of the ALMS pit notes ... go to the Pit Notes site and see if they do ?) In fact, if your passion to learn is as great as it seems to be, I am sure you will google the race and read every published English-language race report to see if anyone said anything relevant.

I have done the same when I wondered "What happened to that car?" after a race, and sometimes I find a brief note in some odd article from partway through a race which sheds light.

I am eager to hear what you come up with.

here, however, people are discussing specifically the Lap-Down Wave-By, which was a rule in Rolex and is now a rule in TUSC. It was never part of ALMS and thus did not affect the 2013 Sebring 12 Hours.

On a hopefully unrelated note: There is Zero need to resurrect he ALMS/Rolex argument. If the LDWB had been used in ALMS I would have protested it then. And there were several penalty calls made in ALMS, several managerial decisions ... shoot, I spent years on the ALMSfans site tearing the series up because it wouldn't priomote, wouldn't improve its TV production ... But All That Is Over.

Regardless of what Corvette did or didn't do at Sebring in the ALMS years, I want the LDWB Not to be in the rulebook come Sebring 2015.

Anyway, eager to see what you come up with on that Corvette thing.

EDIT:: http://pitnotes.org/tusc.php I checked and they at least have headings for every ALMS year back to the start, so if you peruse the pit notes for that stretch of the 2013 12 Hours you might get some good info.
Hmm, as I recall in the ALMS Prototypes pitted first, then GT, if a car stayed out and did not pit, before going green the leader of the race (prototype) was picked up for the restart by the safety car, everyone in front of the race leader was let go to join the back of the pack before the green was given. Putting them up a lap from the one they were on, period. Sounds like semantics to me.

L.P.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 04:36 (Ref:3387275)   #6257
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of my press contacts told me IMSA sent a message asking to give them a break. That's right, instead of trying to fix the product let's try to censor the coverage we get.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 13:46 (Ref:3387429)   #6258
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, as I recall in the ALMS Prototypes pitted first, then GT, if a car stayed out and did not pit, before going green the leader of the race (prototype) was picked up for the restart by the safety car, everyone in front of the race leader was let go to join the back of the pack before the green was given. Putting them up a lap from the one they were on, period. Sounds like semantics to me.

L.P.
I don't want to start an argument as I have caused enough headaches for our moderating staff, but I agree.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3387440)   #6259
Frank Grimes
Rookie

Frank Grimes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't want to start an argument as I have caused enough headaches for our moderating staff, but I agree.
In this case, the GT car does get its lap back. It does not however get to pit so is taking a big chance.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3387448)   #6260
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The difference between the two types of wave-by have been explained several times in great detail. No need to continue discussing this ...for me at least. I am sure I am on everyone's last nerve on this topic.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3387550)   #6261
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny D just tweeted no bombshell announcement today. So I guess we can back off the withdraw speculation for now.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3387561)   #6262
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
In this case, the GT car does get its lap back. It does not however get to pit so is taking a big chance.
Exactly, therein lies the difference. You do not get to pit.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3387606)   #6263
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm, as I recall in the ALMS Prototypes pitted first, then GT, if a car stayed out and did not pit, before going green the leader of the race (prototype) was picked up for the restart by the safety car, everyone in front of the race leader was let go to join the back of the pack before the green was given.
Actually, the leader was not necessarily picked up after the pitstops - it was the leader of a class that was picked up and led them to the green (I think it was Boris Said in GT leading them to the green early in Sebring 2012).
Old 1 Apr 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3387626)   #6264
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
Actually, the leader was not necessarily picked up after the pitstops - it was the leader of a class that was picked up and led them to the green (I think it was Boris Said in GT leading them to the green early in Sebring 2012).
Yep, it was always interesting when a GTC car was at the head of the queue for a restart.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 01:16 (Ref:3387648)   #6265
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could somebody who went to Sebring in 2013 explain how the #4 Corvette went 2 laps down in hour 3 and had the lead again at the 6 hour mark? There was one 3 lap caution in the interval. They did not set fastest lap.
IMSA has the raw data available if you really care: http://imsatiming.com/Results/2013/A...on%20Times.csv

I don't see where they went down two laps, only 1 lap. And there were also 2 caution periods, starting at @3h45m (4laps) and @5h30m (6laps)

So, looking at the data...I'm only focusing on the 4, 91, and 62, as they were the ones battling for lead at this point:
  1. @3h45m: Yellow flag pitstops for #4 and #91. The data doesn't show #62 does, but they most likely do.
  2. @4h21m: #4 passes the 2nd in GT #62 on track to get on same lap as all but the #91. Youtube video of the pass (can see the Viper just ahead).
  3. @4h42m: #4 passes the 1st in GT #91 on track to get on same lap Youtube vid, not of the pass, but can see the #4 got ahead of the #91. And Jeremy makes mention of #4 now being on lead lap.
  4. All 3 do green flag pit stops
  5. @5h30m: Yellow flag.
  6. @5h43m: #4 gets a wave by, along with 6 other GT cars, 12 total who were ahead of the first class leader, Treluyer. (Note: This is the waveby before pitting that was/is common to ALMS, GA, and TUSC)
  7. @5h45m: The #4 and #91 pit. The #4 had a quicker pit stop, and got around him. (Again the data is f'd and doesn't show the #62 stopped, but they most likely did.) So 1st is #62, 2nd is #4.
  8. @6h50m: GT leaders do green flag pit stops, with #62 doing a driver change. The #4 has quicker stop to both the #62 and the BMW and assumes the lead. Vid of pass of the BMW in the pits. Vid of pass of the #62

So there ya go.

Last edited by EricS; 2 Apr 2014 at 01:39.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3387679)   #6266
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
But most did/do pit after they got the wave by en route to the back of the field.

L.P.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3387796)   #6267
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But most did/do pit after they got the wave by en route to the back of the field.

L.P.
And the green flew and they had to fuel the car, THEN change tires, thereby negating most, if not all of an advantage they gained.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3387835)   #6268
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
And the green flew and they had to fuel the car, THEN change tires, thereby negating most, if not all of an advantage they gained.
That is a very important difference - engine off, separate fuel and tire change, much longer and riskier (timewise, safer otherwise) pit stop.
And the pace car didn't stay out a couple of extra laps to wait for this to happen either.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3387942)   #6269
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
One of my press contacts told me IMSA sent a message asking to give them a break. That's right, instead of trying to fix the product let's try to censor the coverage we get.
To an extent I understand where they are coming from, it is not helping when they are constantly having to deal with all directions blasting away at them or every subject---The big HOWEVER: They are having major problems in race management, which has little or nothing to do with BoP, or new events, or a mix of different cars. They should have core race management sorted before they ever have a car turning a wheel for the first time. There is no excuse at all, the cars are not totally different, as a group the race managers have dealt with all the tracks and track staffs (and should be able to from prior experience in procedures and process be able to stage an event at a totally new track to any of them).

If you volunteer to take the seat in a dunking booth, you should not be surprised to get wet.

Funny, you had to wonder how the GA and ALMS teams would get along in the paddock at first, but they seem to have united in their dislike with the front office/control tower.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3387955)   #6270
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
No suprise there. When IMSA is sending out this message to all of the press (probably with a threat to yank their press passes too), there is just no news about TUSK. If you can't report anything good, then don't report anything at all.

When PWC gets the most press and coverage at Long Beach, maybe Indycar and IMSA will notice? Doubt it but a TUSK news blackout might get their attention.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3387985)   #6271
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moved from the Schedule Thread. To make sure MoMedic is in the appropriate place to make a full comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I'm not going to bring up the late yellow....but that's the big point of contention from ESM, and then adding in unfavorable BoP that doesn't allow you to even catch the leader...
Wait a sec...if BoP is truly equal and correct they should not have been able to catch the leader. Equal means the same...if both cars turn the same laps then they just hold position. The only BoP that would have allow Ryan to catch the 01 would have been one favoring the LMP2. Are you arguing that the LMP2 should have an advantage over the DP?

Here's a plot of the Gap from P1 to P2

Looks pretty even to me. Not really a surprise Ryan lost almost 4 sec on the as he was behind to GTD and the lead GTLM car on the restart, so there was no way he was going to be able to keep up with Marino until he got clear.

Clearly there's an argument about length of caution, number of cautions, blah blah blah, but BoP...I'm sorry...that dog don't hunt.

The only good thing about Sebring was that it seems the BoP was pretty damn good. Yeah yeah, the DP makes time differently LMP2, so and LMP2 could never pass a DP. I saw P2 pass DPs so it can happen. I thought one of the things we're all suppose to like about sports cars is variety. Isn't two cars make time differently but ending up with the same lap time variety? I sure wasn't complaining about the P1/P2 battle of 2008.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3388024)   #6272
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New IMSA procedures released.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3388025)   #6273
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MWM is reporting that IMSA has released a press release about changes being made because of the blowback from the first two rounds.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3388029)   #6274
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.imsa.com/articles/imsa-in...ion-procedures
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3388030)   #6275
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Details here:

http://www.imsa.com/articles/imsa-in...ion-procedures
Closed Thread