Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 26 Mar 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3384720)   #6176
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"You do realize that if ALMS split their field like TUSC does for Long Beach, they'd have a whopping fourteen car field, right?"

You are aware that ALMS no longer exists, right?

Fact is, TUSC is feeling the fallout of its errors at its first two races, and the teams it is losing are good teams. not back-markers with iffy budgets.

21 cars at Long Beach isn't terrible, but it ain't a huge grid--but that is irrelevant. What is relevant--what is, in fact, the point--is that top-tier teams are saying, "Yeah, let's see if you can get it together before we waste more cash and energy in your series."

I Really hope the rumors are true, and TUSC will do a Huge upgrade by Long Beach.

I fear that what another poster said was true: TUSC management is fine with DPs being the de facto top class, and P2s withdrawing. Hopefully not, but this is the bunch that ran Rolex at a loss for 15 years.

TUSC did so badly at its first two races, it will need to be flawless at all the rest. Even if LB is okay, if something goes wrong at Laguna many (too many) fans will likely say, "See, they never really changed." Sooner or later NASCAR will have to decide if it wants another unpopular subsidized sports car series draining cash at every event.

TUSC can't focus just on getting it right at Long Beach. They need to get ti right at every race for the rest fo the season. They've used their mulligans for the next several years just at Daytona and Sebring.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 17:42 (Ref:3384723)   #6177
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You do realize that if ALMS split their field like TUSC does for Long Beach, they'd have a whopping fourteen car field, right?
Yes, but they didn't, they're dead and that has nothing to do with TUSCC except they seem determined to fail too.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3384735)   #6178
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Marshall Pruett ‏@marshallpruett 53m
Too bad to learn of Dave Hart, @IMSA's Director of Communications, resigning his post. A genuinely good, high character guy.
What do we make of that? Quitting out of frustration or 'being gone'?
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3384755)   #6179
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
So long beach is down to 21 entries and shrinking. I can remember many series being ridiculed for fields that small. If IMSA can't manage a decent race with a small, almost all pro field, even on a street circuit, they are totally unfit. They are running out of chances.
21 cars is fairly normal these days. The fact that almost all of them are all-pro makes the car count irrelevant.

But I agree that Long Beach is USCC's best opportunity to prove to people that it can properly officiate a race. I'm not expecting a yellow unless an accident occurs. But if a yellow comes out for a piece of debris that is no where near the race line or something of that sort, then I won't bother with the series for the rest of the year.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3384756)   #6180
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You do realize that if ALMS split their field like TUSC does for Long Beach, they'd have a whopping fourteen car field, right?
ALMS ceased operations in 2013, as did Grand-Am. It's TUSCC for 2014 and this series is extolled as having large fields. Obviously the TUSCC field is going to be smaller with the loss of PC and GTD, but we now have teams dropping out and openly stating their displeasure with the series as their reason for doing so. ALMS theoretically splitting their field has about as much to do with the TUSCC series as theoretically splitting the GTO/GTU field in the original IMSA series.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3384759)   #6181
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for the above post. Should have read all the way to the end of the thread before responding as other posters said the same thing.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3384764)   #6182
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone who doubts who is in control of the series take a look at the garbage they are tweeting:

TUDOR Championship ‏@UnitedSportsCar
Scott Pruett (@scottpruett01) leads with 57 wins in the modern era of endurance sports car racing. Who is second? pic.twitter.com/mFnmRlTC1L

Looks like this IS Grand Am 2.0...
Old 26 Mar 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3384770)   #6183
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Anyone who doubts who is in control of the series take a look at the garbage they are tweeting:

TUDOR Championship ‏@UnitedSportsCar
Scott Pruett (@scottpruett01) leads with 57 wins in the modern era of endurance sports car racing. Who is second? pic.twitter.com/mFnmRlTC1L

Looks like this IS Grand Am 2.0...
What's the problem? They combined the records just like Indycar and CART did.

"The combined top-5 is: Scott Pruett (57), Bill Auberlen (53), Lucas Luhr (51), Al Holbert (49), Butch Leitzinger (49). #IMSA"
Old 26 Mar 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3384773)   #6184
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
What do we make of that? Quitting out of frustration or 'being gone'?
Some of it is frustration. The ship is sinking....

Teams are bailing, now personnel.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Mar 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3384776)   #6185
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
What's the problem? They combined the records just like Indycar and CART did.

"The combined top-5 is: Scott Pruett (57), Bill Auberlen (53), Lucas Luhr (51), Al Holbert (49), Butch Leitzinger (49). #IMSA"
Just pointing out where their loyalties lie promoting the Grand Am poster boy as the greatest ever. A lot of those victories came from grids where the driving talent was a fraction of that in those victories racked up by a lot of the others. More than a little disingenuous.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3384782)   #6186
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
One-race suspension/ban for Matteo Malucelli and Gaston Kearby for their Sebring incidents.

EDIT: Oops, missed it where it was posted before. Sorry, nvm.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 26 Mar 2014 at 20:00.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3384792)   #6187
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Just pointing out where their loyalties lie promoting the Grand Am poster boy as the greatest ever. A lot of those victories came from grids where the driving talent was a fraction of that in those victories racked up by a lot of the others. More than a little disingenuous.
For all its shortcomings, a lack of talent behind the wheel was never Grand Am's biggest problem.

In fact, there were always some rather credible line-ups that gave Pruett a run for the money.

Let's take Barber 2006 as a random example: Pruett was still paired with Luiz Diaz by then and was up against among others:

Andy Wallace (GB)/Butch Leitzinger (USA)
Wayne Taylor (ZA)/Max Angelelli (I)/Jan Magnussen (DK)
Adrian Fernandez (MEX)/Mario Haberfeld (BR)
Memo Gidley (USA)/Michael McDowell (USA)
Mike Rockenfeller (D)/Patrick Long (USA)
Christian Fittipaldi (BR)/Max Papis (I)
Jörg Bergmeister (D)/Colin Braun (USA)
Alex Gurney (USA)/Jon Fogarty (USA)

Now 2006 was probably GA's high point, but Barber was not a particularly special race and no matter how you look at it, that's a stacked field right there.

Things got a little thinner around the end of the decade, but Pruett was always up against half a dozen solid all-pro lineups.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3384793)   #6188
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no denying Scott Pruett's ability in the 2000's. But I think he has slowed down some in the past year or so.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3384804)   #6189
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
MM won both CA ALMS races last year; but all they had to do to get class podiums was take the green at LB and not be the first to break at LS. I heard Pickett was OK with BOP at Sebring; at least before the car broke. Maybe their problem is not the fairness of the competition, but the quantity of it.

What did Starworks have planned when they listed as alternate for P class? Did they do any testing of their existing Ford motors at uprated power; or had they been in talks with HPD all along? If the latter, did they expect to plug in a new motor and be competetive? Didn’t work that way for Shank or Ganassi with their turbo Fords.

As for field sizes, for all the abuse hurled at PC, it would be unfair to call it a “filler” class. PCs finished 3rd, 4th, and 5th at LB last year ahead of 1st in P2.

Last years Laguna Seca race had 7 cautions for 33 laps, 6 for 30 for cars off course, 1 for 7 laps. It’s a beautiful course; but if you venture off the black stuff into the dust bowl, you’ll be stuck.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3384809)   #6190
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The TUDOR series is just so frustrating.

I just can't understand why they seem to be so hellbent on making this just SLIGHTLY better than Grand-Am, when it could be SO much better.

Sad to see this wasted potential.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3384833)   #6191
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hear ya, and I will be the first to say I dislike Pruett (No idea why... maybe the finger pistols? Pew Pew) but some of Luhr's wins came against no one. That's not his fault though and same with Pruett.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 00:56 (Ref:3384869)   #6192
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Pruett is one of America's great road racers, and it is sad that won't be totally reflected in the history books. If he hadn't had that testing accident at Sebring in an indy car so long ago, and a long recovery period, and that period of rebuilding confidence in others of his abilities, I believe he would have had a far different and more impressive record. He has had to play the 'personality' role because of what fate has dealt. I would even like his commentary of LeMans if he could overcome the problem with the word "Mulsanne," and the constant pandering to the GA series in the US. He accomplished a lot in the GA world, but also before it. He is a good guy, get him some time with an acting coach and someone to help with pronunciation of French words...
Old 27 Mar 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3384870)   #6193
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Scott Pruett's personality quirks aside, he is a very talented driver, he is a fair driver, and he came from humble beginnings.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 01:20 (Ref:3384872)   #6194
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Scott Pruett's personality quirks aside, he is a very talented driver, he is a fair driver, and he came from humble beginnings.
When he raced in CART he was one of my favourites, I think it was constantly being hailed as the greatest sportscar driver of all time on the GA broadcasts and his annoying antics that got to me. That and I think he should have known when to stop. Can't blame him for his passion though.

JHamilton - fair point about Luhr, although I still think he is a fantastic driver and one of my favourites.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 02:49 (Ref:3384883)   #6195
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well....

Americanlemansfans.com shut down again.

Thanks again fogelhund,and thank you for trying to keep it open.hopefully it will come back again some day
Old 27 Mar 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3384884)   #6196
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am beginning to wonder if the sun will ever rise again.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3384885)   #6197
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well of course it will!

It just won't feel the same......
Old 27 Mar 2014, 03:16 (Ref:3384889)   #6198
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
David Hart, director of ‪#‎IMSA‬ Communications has resigned, effectively immediately. https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/448882813261987840
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3384955)   #6199
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
One-race suspension/ban for Matteo Malucelli and Gaston Kearby for their Sebring incidents.

EDIT: Oops, missed it where it was posted before. Sorry, nvm.
Why does it take 11 days to penalise these 2 for dreadful driving yet they are happy to make erroneous calls in an instant on iffy things like the FL/L5 at Daytona & Alex Job at Sebring?

I'm on a real downer about this at the mo.

The sun will rise again, for sure. But what will be left?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3385251)   #6200
Flash02
Rookie

Flash02 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
"[COLOR=Blue]
I fear that what another poster said was true: TUSC management is fine with DPs being the de facto top class, and P2s withdrawing. Hopefully not, but this is the bunch that ran Rolex at a loss for 15 years.
This is and continues to be my biggest fear, I just feel the DP car is Not suited to this series. From what I see the P2 cars are a far superior car and should be the front runner in this series.
Closed Thread