Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 May 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3410665)   #226
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica just lost the engine, same thing as Kurt Busch. I imagine anyone running a Hendrick engine right now is feeling a bit conserned! I had hoped that she would have a better night than this.

Old 26 May 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3410669)   #227
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you are 4 laps down can you not take "a wave around" to get a lap back when the caution comes out?
Old 26 May 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3410671)   #228
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Looks like trouble for another Hendrick engined car, this time Earnhardt Jr. Down RPMS, rocker arms, valve train? Don't think it is going to last.

You get one of your laps back, but no more, I believe.
Old 26 May 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3410673)   #229
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about the wave around rules other than lucky dog.

Looks like its Jimmies to lose if he doesn't blow.

Danica has a bad habit she has got to shake, she likes to stomp on the brakes and come to a halt when someone is spinning near her. My wife
does the same thing on the highway. I thought Danica could have made it through but too much brake allowed stack up into her. I heard her spotter
telling her to "stand on it !!!" . I guess he should of specified gas not the brake.
Old 26 May 2014, 02:33 (Ref:3410681)   #230
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well done Johnson. Hard to believe it's his first win this year somehow.
Old 26 May 2014, 02:37 (Ref:3410682)   #231
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Well done Johnson. Hard to believe it's his first win this year somehow.
Well, another winner for this year. Wonder if we'll see 16 different winners. I hope we do! On to Dover. See y'all later.
Old 26 May 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3410848)   #232
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after Charlotte:

1. Jeff Gordon (Hendrick), 432
2. Matt Kenseth (Gibbs), 421 /0
3. Kyle Busch (Gibbs), 408
4. Carl Edwards (Roush), 408
5. Dale Earnhardt Jr (Hendrick), 394
6. Jimmie Johnson (Hendrick), 388
7. Joey Logano (Penske), 378
8. Brian Vickers (Waltrip), 365 /0
9. Brad Keselowski (Penske), 361
10. Ryan Newman (Childress), 361 /0
11. Greg Biffle (Roush), 351 /0
12. Kevin Harvick (Stewart-Haas), 345
13. Kyle Larson (Ganassi), 344 /0
14. Denny Hamlin (Gibbs), 340
15. Austin Dillon (Childress), 334 /0
16. Paul Menard (Childress), 328 /0
17. Kasey Kahne (Hendrick), 324 /0
18. AJ Allmendinger (JTG), 314 /0
19. Aric Almirola (Petty), 312 /0
20. Clint Bowyer (Waltrip), 309 /0
Old 26 May 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3410869)   #233
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
Kurt Busch goes BOOM! Down at least two, maybe more cylinders. Knew that engine wouldn't last! Unfortunately, it hurt Jamie McMurray!
Maybe he should have skipped that other race and consentrated on Charlotte!!! That is my opinion and I am sticking to it!
I would love to hear reasoning on how driving in the 500 earlier in the day effected the performance of his engine...

This "points/chase" setup is growing to be a nightmare, why even care about the points race?
Old 26 May 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3410892)   #234
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stupid question. The engine went out of spite because its jealous. Obvious, really.
Old 26 May 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3410925)   #235
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
I would love to hear reasoning on how driving in the 500 earlier in the day effected the performance of his engine...

This "points/chase" setup is growing to be a nightmare, why even care about the points race?
While an engine failure cannot ever be predicted, the fact that he missed several practice sessions, did nothing to help him with the racing set-up for the race. It is better to do your own set-up than to use the set-up of someone else, logic stands to reason that you know more about how things to feel, for/to you than someone else doing it for you. Missing the driver's meeting brings a manditory start at the rear of the field. Having to make a run up through the field is more punishing on an engine, than starting closer to the front. Though some claim that these engines are "bulletproof" today, his and a couple of others blowing up prove otherwise. Had he been there, it is highly doubtful that he would have missed the driver's meeting, thus he would not have started the race in the rear. It is possible, in his case, that he punished his engine, early in the race, that very well could have caused the damage that caused his engine to expire when it did
Old 26 May 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3410926)   #236
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
stupid question. The engine went out of spite because its jealous. Obvious, really.
Sarcasism noted.
Old 26 May 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3410928)   #237
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I find Busch an erratic and an egotistical figure. But his decision to do both was bold and impressive and he acquitted himself well.
Old 26 May 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3410952)   #238
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I find Busch an erratic and an egotistical figure. ...
Cannot disagree with this. Both he and his brother have always been like that, but both seem to have gotten better, grown up, somewhat. Perhaps both have finally figured out that they are their own worst enemies and that their words and actions if not contained, will cost them their sponsors, rides, etc. I hope this "maturity" trend continues for both. They both backslide sometime and the real "Busch" comes out of them, but they seem to be trying to control those outbursts more these days!
Old 26 May 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3410957)   #239
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sarcasism
Ehh?
Old 26 May 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3411020)   #240
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Busch Bros bring some spice to NASCAR. I like that.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3411298)   #241
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Cannot disagree with this. Both he and his brother have always been like that, but both seem to have gotten better, grown up, somewhat. Perhaps both have finally figured out that they are their own worst enemies and that their words and actions if not contained, will cost them their sponsors, rides, etc. I hope this "maturity" trend continues for both. They both backslide sometime and the real "Busch" comes out of them, but they seem to be trying to control those outbursts more these days!
Yup I agree, they've gotten a lot better at handling themselves in interviews and such the last couple of years.
Old 28 May 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3411645)   #242
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.Lee probably meant "Sarcasm is noted". Typos happen.

Still not convinced that Busch being unfaithful played a factor in his engines demise. Of course you can argue how he's not been at practice and how that affects his understanding of the car and how he taxes it and so on and so forth... I just don't think its a valid statement.

Busch will not have been the only guy in the race who guns hard. I also don't buy Busch somehow forgetting the experience he does have with the car just because he snuggled into a single seater for a bit, he still knows how to take care of the car just as much as before I do believe.

The fact that more engines expired also supports that those Hendrick Powerplants were in a way ticking timebombs. Unless Busch went out and demanded a more aggressive mapping or something (hell, does that even exist in Nascar?), which I doubt, it stands to reason his engine was a goner as soon as it was assembled.
Old 28 May 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3412052)   #243
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
R.Lee probably meant "Sarcasm is noted". Typos happen.

Still not convinced that Busch being unfaithful played a factor in his engines demise. Of course you can argue how he's not been at practice and how that affects his understanding of the car and how he taxes it and so on and so forth... I just don't think its a valid statement.

Busch will not have been the only guy in the race who guns hard. I also don't buy Busch somehow forgetting the experience he does have with the car just because he snuggled into a single seater for a bit, he still knows how to take care of the car just as much as before I do believe.

The fact that more engines expired also supports that those Hendrick Powerplants were in a way ticking timebombs. Unless Busch went out and demanded a more aggressive mapping or something (hell, does that even exist in Nascar?), which I doubt, it stands to reason his engine was a goner as soon as it was assembled.
Thank you Dimension. Yes, typos do happen and for someone with my poor typing skills, combine with my large hands and fat fingers, unfortunately, they are probably more common than with most people.

To answer your question, yes, NASCAR does use mapping. They re-introduced fuel injection, for the first time, since 1953. They had banned it, but brought it back last year. Last year, at the start of the season, there were problems with engines shutting off/not getting fuel. It was traced to a problem with mapping, I believe it had to do with computer softwear, if I remember correctly.
Old 31 May 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3412962)   #244
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The Busch Bros bring some spice to NASCAR. I like that.
Every story needs a villain right?
Old 31 May 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3413123)   #245
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Every story needs a villain right?
Maybe yes, but no one needs stupidity and sometime, both of them have pushed the envelope into stupidity territory! Just saying.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3413832)   #246
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race just turned from a snoozer (no kidding, I dozed off) to a bit more interesting. I hope they can get the #18 fixed, I'd like to see if Busch can get to Bowyer or not...
Old 1 Jun 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3413848)   #247
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WTF is going with the Monster Mile? Is it falling apart like this series? At least the stands are packed....
Old 1 Jun 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3413950)   #248
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
WTF is going with the Monster Mile? Is it falling apart like this series? At least the stands are packed....
Dover always seems to draw a good crowd. Probably why it stays on the schedule, twice, per year.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 06:16 (Ref:3414038)   #249
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sprint Cup points in there most sensible order. In regards to the chase (top 16), Biffle is out & Kurt Busch in...

Matt Kenseth - 463
Jeff Gordon - 461
Carl Edwards - 438
Jimmie Johnson - 436
Dale Earnhardt Jnr - 429
Joey Logano - 414
Kyle Busch - 411
Brad Keselowski - 404
Denny Hamlin - 379
Kyle Larson - 377
Ryan Newman - 374
Kevin Harvick - 373
Brian Vickers - 366
Paul Menard - 362
Austin Dillon - 358
Greg Biffle - 357

Clint Bowyer - 350
Kasey Kahne - 349
Aric Almirola - 344
AJ Allmendinger - 337
Tony Stewart - 336
Marcos Ambrose - 331
Jamie McMurray - 317
Casey Mears - 301
Martin Truex Jnr - 289
Ricky Stenhouse Jnr - 261
Kurt Busch - 241
Old 2 Jun 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3414503)   #250
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
More Rouche news courtesy of Jayski, Big mouth Darrell appears to let the cat out of the bag. I hope Michael Waltrip isn't telling us porkies in his role as a pundit.

Quote:
Biffle leaving Roush? UPDATE: While all eyes have been on #16-Greg Biffle's teammate, #99-Carl Edwards, to be the biggest domino to fall, could Biffle actually be the one to set everything in motion? As recently as April, the 44-year-old stated his intention was to stay at Roush Fenway Racing and that a new deal was imminent. "We've been working pretty diligently on that," he told Frontstretch back then. "It has been a pretty good negotiation so far. There are a lot of new people on both sides of the table, so everyone is kind of getting a feel for the program and learning it. We feel pretty good that we'll have something to announce before we get to summer." But as May rolled around, warm weather looming Biffle suddenly sounded colder, less confident in his status for the future. "I think there's plenty of opportunities in the industry to be in competitive cars," he said in an interview on SiriusXM Radio earlier this month. "I enjoy being at Roush Fenway. I love 3M. We have a great relationship and the program works really, really well for 3M ... Plain and simple, I've got options. I know I'm going to be racing. I know I'm going to be driving a car. So I'm not worried."
Supposedly things have deteriorated from there. Despite saying two weeks ago in Kansas Biffle was "absolutely, 100%" not looking outside his current organization, I've learned that's not the case. Sources claim the driver's plans lie elsewhere for 2015, that he is actively seeking other employment and that the feeling is mutual. One link in particular, direct to the Roush organization who wished to remain anonymous said he's been told the future for Biffle involves "anything but" RFR, the only NASCAR team he's really driven for. If the driver, a Roush Cup full-timer since 2003, does not return next year, speculation has been rampant that he will take sponsor 3M with him. A red flag went up about that possibility on Saturday, when RFR announced that they planned to return their #6 to the track next year. Owner Jack Roush said that he plans for the new team, driven by Trevor Bayne, to be a fourth car, but it's also possible he's prepping to lose financial backing for 2015.(Frontstretch)(5-27-2014)
UPDATE: Old DW may have just spilled the beans on where Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle will wind up next season. And if Darrell Waltrip's body language and hinting is any indication, neither driver will be back with Roush Fenway Racing. During Sunday's prerace show on FOX, anchor Chris Myers asked Waltrip if the two free agents are leaving RFR, and if so, where will their new home in 2015 be. The first part of Waltrip's reply wasn't totally surprising. But then Waltrip dropped an obvious bombshell. Reaching over to put his right hand on the shoulder of younger brother Michael, who just happens to own Michael Waltrip Racing, DW's body language and then verbiage said it all - and left Michael staring straight ahead almost in shock. "And Greg Biffle will go to some two-car team that maybe one time had a third car," Darrell Waltrip said. In an attempt to quickly try and cover up what his older brother just said - and obviously deflect that scenario (probably because MWR isn't ready to make a potential announcement yet) - Michael gave his take on it. "Uhhhhhh, I think Carl goes and Greg stays," Michael Waltrip said. "I think the Biff stays at Roush, he's going to be the veteran, the anchor to that rookie lineup for the young guys that are going to race at Roush. So, he goes, the other cat stays."(NBC Sports)
AND: Another week and more speculation about the future of Roush Fenway Racing. The garage was filled with talk about what current veterans Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle will do come season's end as both have RFR contracts that expire this year. Neither driver nor RFR officials had any official comment but there seems to be some momentum to the scenario both drivers will depart and Edwards to Joe Gibbs Racing and Biffle to Michael Waltrip Racing are the leading rumors.(Motor Racing Network)(6-2-2014)
http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140527d