Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 May 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3404889)   #176
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
She drove a very good race last night. Earned that top 10 finish, as high as 3 place, at one time. She gave Kevin Harvick credit for showing her some different thing that she had been doing wrong, where she could pick up speed on the track. She put that info to good use. Don't think she will ever win a championship, but if she starts to run like this on a consistent basis, winning a race or two will not be out of the question.
Yep , I am on that same page about Danica.
Old 11 May 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3404985)   #177
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nice to see Gordon get a win finally. I too was thoroughly impressed by Danica's performance(never thought I would say that).

Next week is the over-hyped all-star race, which they've decided to pull an NFL and stretch it out over more days than needed.
Old 12 May 2014, 01:32 (Ref:3405199)   #178
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All star race is boring - no points on offer = no interest for me...

Danica did drive well, Harvick dominated that one & would be disappointed by finishing a close 2nd. Congrats to Jeffy on the win - Ambrose, you & your team stunk for some reason
Old 12 May 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3405292)   #179
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
It's nice to see Gordon get a win finally. I too was thoroughly impressed by Danica's performance(never thought I would say that).

Next week is the over-hyped all-star race, which they've decided to pull an NFL and stretch it out over more days than needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
All star race is boring - no points on offer = no interest for me...

Danica did drive well, Harvick dominated that one & would be disappointed by finishing a close 2nd. Congrats to Jeffy on the win - Ambrose, you & your team stunk for some reason
I fully agree. I am no fan of this over-hyped, so called, all-star race, nor of the one, at Daytona, that opens the season prior to the Daytona 500. Those two races, IMO are a waste of time and equipment. NASCAR would better serve both the teams and drivers and the fan commuity, by either scheduling two additional points races, at tracks that they presently do not run on, (bring back Rockingham, or add either, a reactivated Memphis Motorsport Park or Nashville Superspeedway) during the season, or simply by giving the teams and drivers two additional weekends off.
Old 13 May 2014, 00:44 (Ref:3405670)   #180
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Kansas overnight TV Ratings down: Overnight ratings for NASCAR from Kansas were the lowest in the young history of the race. The NASCAR Sprint Cup race from Kansas earned a 3.3 overnight rating on FOX Saturday night, down 15% from last year (3.9), down 11% from 2012 (3.7), and the lowest overnight in the four year history of the race. Until this year, the race took place on Sunday afternoon. Saturday's 3.3 overnight is tied as the third-lowest ever for Sprint Cup racing on FOX, matching the 2009 Phoenix race. Eight of the nine lowest rated races on FOX in the metered markets have aired on a Saturday night, including all three of this year's Saturday night races. The Darlington race drew a 3.2 overnight on April 12, and the Richmond race hit an all-time low 3.0 on April 26. For the weekend, the race was the top non-NBA sporting event on any network, finishing comfortably ahead of the final round of The Players Championship (2.6).(Sports Business Daily / Sports Media Watch)(5-12-2014)

At this point the Friday/Saturday All Star nights on FS1 will be the lowest rated Nascar races this year. Maybe even in Fox/Speed's history of doing Nascar.

Who knows, maybe the Indy 500 will beat the Coke 600 this year.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:20 (Ref:3405683)   #181
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post

At this point the Friday/Saturday All Star nights on FS1 will be the lowest rated Nascar races this year. Maybe even in Fox/Speed's history of doing Nascar.

Who knows, maybe the Indy 500 will beat the Coke 600 this year.
The only reason that, that might happen, is because of Kurt Busch. One of the reasons that I am so against him or any other NASCAR driver driving in that race. You don't hurt your series, to help the competitor's!
Old 13 May 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3405689)   #182
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
And here I am wishing they would add some more available cars to the 500 and have Stewart, Patrick, Busch, Montoya, 'Dinger, and a few others (who are qualified) run in both races. In my opinion, doing both races is just fricken' awesome!
Old 13 May 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3405692)   #183
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Quote:
You don't hurt your series, to help the competitor's!
I don't know how it really hurts either series (Unless Kurt somehow wins the 500), in fact I only see it benefiting both series as it introduces NASCAR fans to IndyCar and shows Indy fans that NASCAR drivers aren't stereotypical rednecks like many seem to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
And here I am wishing they would add some more available cars to the 500 and have Stewart, Patrick, Busch, Montoya, 'Dinger, and a few others (who are qualified) run in both races. In my opinion, doing both races is just fricken' awesome!
I would also like to see some drivers like Castroneves, Hunter-Reay and Dixon take a shot at the Cup side
Old 13 May 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3405939)   #184
vodka
Rookie

Lithuania
Vilnius
vodka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know how it really hurts either series (Unless Kurt somehow wins the 500), in fact I only see it benefiting both series as it introduces NASCAR fans to IndyCar and shows Indy fans that NASCAR drivers aren't stereotypical rednecks like many seem to think.

I would also like to see some drivers like Castroneves, Hunter-Reay and Dixon take a shot at the Cup side
Haha, I guess I'm somewhat lucky to be from europe and have no stereotypes, I love both nascar and indycar, watching both for 10 years now (yeah, I was 11 then) so no worries and no regrets if indy 500 would surpass coke 600. And indy is more familliar around the world for sure.

By the way, just wanted to express my happiness for the 24, thank god he won, a true champion. And also im very happy to see TNT broadcasts for the last time, as it really really sucked. Grande Fox!
Old 14 May 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3406069)   #185
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka View Post
Haha, I guess I'm somewhat lucky to be from europe and have no stereotypes
Says the guy named vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka View Post
By the way, just wanted to express my happiness for the 24, thank god he won, a true champion.
It was a great win for the 24. His path to #5 just got a lot clearer.
Old 15 May 2014, 02:04 (Ref:3406443)   #186
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
One thing that I look at is safety, that is a number one issue. You're talking about a driver running 1100 miles of racing, with a couple of hours on a corporate jet in between, in a single day. Though it has been done before, it is NOT safe. Just too much for one man to do in one day.

Quote:
Here, I don't understand you. You say that Busch will not hurt either series, then turn around, in the same breath and say that a Busch win would be bad. That makes no sense. Can't have it both ways, so which is it?

It hurts, because it is a battle for TV ratings. Back several years ago, when money/sponsorship was no object, mayby it wasn't but today, Ratings are all important. Look at what Edsel Ford ll said, that it would be over his dead body, he's be six feet under, before Ford Motor Company went back to racing in Indiana, on Memorial Day Weekend. Why, be said because TV ratings for that series, were non-existent.

Sorry, there is no win, anywhere, for NASCAR with Busch driving in this race. His competing there will help it, but it will do nothing to help NASCAR's ratings. indy fans HATE NASCAR with a passion. Most care nothing about NASCAR and take every oppertunity to broadcast that loud and clear. They want NASCAR drivers, like Busch, to run their race, to boost it's ratings and they all but DEMAND that NASCAR fans watch their race. Now, will they, return the favor and watch Charlotte? The answer, from most is a resounding NO, they will say that they don't give a damn about Charlotte and have no reason or desire to watch it and they won't. So again, it does not help NASCAR, only hurts their ratings!

As for them realizing that NASCAR drivers are not "stereotypical rednecks". Oh man, come on -- get a dose of reality! They believe EVERYTHING about NASCAR is redneck. It did not change their belief, when Cale Yarborough, LeeRoy Yarbrough, Donnie or Bobby Allison drove that race, back in the 69 - 70 something, so why should it be any different now? The majority of the drivers in NASCAR, today, are not from the South, (where they claim that all the rednecks come from) yet you still hear the constent, hicks. rednecks, hillbillies, etc., from those fans, when refering to NASCAR drivers and fans! Sorry, that stereotype is engrained in them! I almost believe that it is a requirement to be a fan of that series, that someone must HATE NASCAR! That preception is not and will not ever change!

Quote:
Don't hold your breath. None of those drivers have expressed even the slightest interest in running any NASCAR race!
Old 15 May 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3406654)   #187
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Kurt Busch doing both helps both, NASCAR a little bit, Indycar a little more. NASCAR, coz it gives them a talking point, Indycar because it gives them a little leg up stature wise.

There are not really competitors because, in terms of popularity, they are not in the same league with each other.
Old 15 May 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3406701)   #188
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Don't hold your breath. None of those drivers have expressed even the slightest interest in running any NASCAR race!
If you wave enough money in front of them I'm sure their interest would change.
Old 15 May 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3406746)   #189
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Kanaan, Castroneves, Franchitti, Hornish Jr, The Princess and Tracy have all expressed desires to participate in NASCAR. Franchitti even lived the nightmare, Tracy went sour on it after a few brief Nationwide roadcourse events I think. Castroneves did contemplate the switch for a few months. In lieu of F1, it's the final frontier of motorsport in terms of having a high profile, so I'd imagine they do eye it up - but its treacherous to make the switch and Indycars own low profile and the low profile of the drivers - doesn't give confidence to the big sponsors who trade in NASCAR.
Old 15 May 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3406772)   #190
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Franchitti made major improvements over his first year of stock car racing and really had potential. Probably could have won the Bristol Nationwide race if not for bad strategy.

Paul Tracy is an overrated hack so his Nationwide 'career' was no surprise. Although at least he didn't destroy any Benetton F1 cars there...
Old 16 May 2014, 03:51 (Ref:3406833)   #191
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Quote:
Here, I don't understand you. You say that Busch will not hurt either series, then turn around, in the same breath and say that a Busch win would be bad. That makes no sense. Can't have it both ways, so which is it?
Not sure what's so hard to understand about it, unless the extremely unlikely event of Busch winning happens, it will be a good thing for both series.

Quote:
It hurts, because it is a battle for TV ratings.
Sadly, it seems both series have this view which is just idiotic as it seems when one series does well it tends to bring the rest along with it (for instance, most major racing series are in a state of decline currently, most also had fairly good fanbase gains in the '00's).

Quote:
indy fans HATE NASCAR with a passion. Most care nothing about NASCAR and take every oppertunity to broadcast that loud and clear.
The only place I've seen this is on the internet, which isn't exactly what I would base my view of a fanbase on. From my experiences most seem to at least have respect for NASCAR drivers even if they don't like the sport itself(different story when it comes to those running it though, but even some NASCAR fans dislike what they have turned the sport into).

Quote:
All I said was that I'd like it to happen, not that I thought it ever would.

Last edited by Hendrix; 16 May 2014 at 03:57.
Old 17 May 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3407336)   #192
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh right, the "all-star" race. Maybe I'll grab a 12 of PBR and try to tune out Darrell Waltrip.
Old 18 May 2014, 00:40 (Ref:3407366)   #193
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprise, Danica doesn't win the fanvote

Quote:
Clint Bowyer wins the Sprint Showdown #15-Clint Bowyer won the Sprint Showdown Sprint Cup Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway and will transfer to the Sprint All-Star Race. #47-A.J. Allmendinger finished 2nd and will also transfer. #98-Josh Wise, who finished 18th, won the Sprint Fan Vote and will transfer to the All-Star race.
#13-Mears finished third followed by #9-Ambrose, #43-Almirola, #42-Larson, #15-Bowyer, #17-Stenhouse Jr., #3-Dillon, #27-Menard and #10-Patrick.
The Average Speed was 117.711mph. There were 4 lead changes among 3 drivers and 2 cautions for 3 laps.(5-16-2014)
Old 18 May 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3407375)   #194
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
This is on at a nutjob hour out in Europe, so I'll watch a little bit before I go to my little bed so I don't have a cranky face in the morning.
Old 18 May 2014, 02:11 (Ref:3407376)   #195
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kyle Busch at his finest.
Old 18 May 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3407505)   #196
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
I'm not a fan of these non-points races, at Charlotte or at Daytona. I'd rather see those two date used for two additional points races, at two tracks, that the Sprint Cup Series does not presently run at, Rockingham, N.C., Iowa, (which is rumor has being added to the schedule next season) Memphis Motorsport Park or Nashville Superspeedway. Or, for two additional weekends off, for the Sprint Cup drivers and teams. That being said, that was an excellent race, last night. Unlike most of these have been, that one was very enjoyable, exciting!

Note to NASCAR: The qualifying format for this All-Star race, was/is the best I've seen -- FAR superior to the boring, practice session on steriods, knockout CRAP, that presently serves as the qualifying format for the Sprint Cup (as well as Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series) races!!! Dump the knockout CRAP and use the All-Star Race qualifying format for all the Sprint Cup Series races!
Old 18 May 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3407523)   #197
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Josh Wise won because a fan group worked hard to get him past Danica.
Old 18 May 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3407605)   #198
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Not sure what's so hard to understand about it, unless the extremely unlikely event of Busch winning happens, it will be a good thing for both series.
Well, I'm sorry, but it makes no sense. How can it be good for both series, but if he wins, it is not good? Care to explain that one to me? The ONLY thing that I can think of that would be bad is that it would be extreamly bad for the highly over-inflated egos of many of the fans of that series! In reality, some of them might commit suicide, were it to happen, but aside from the damage it would do to the egos of those fans, I don't understand how it is bad if he wins, but good for both series if he doesn't. In fact, if it is so bad a thing, if he wins, then why is it so important for him to be in this race at all. From all that I have ever known about racing, that is the SOLE purpose of entering and competing in a race -- to win, period! IMO, if it is bad, if he wins, then there is absolutely no reason for him to run in that race!

Quote:
Sadly, it seems both series have this view which is just idiotic as it seems when one series does well it tends to bring the rest along with it (for instance, most major racing series are in a state of decline currently, most also had fairly good fanbase gains in the '00's).
I do not call it idiotic, in today's failed and continuing to fail economy! Back in the 90s, when the economy was booming, about the only thing at stake was "bragging rights", but today, there is allot more at stake. Your example of "a rising tide lifts all boats" is not necessarly true today, due to the economy, as it was in the past. I agree with you, that all racing is in decline in this country, but the majority of the factors for this are not a part of this discussion. Those factors are due to a change in culture and attitude, in this country, that unfortuantely no racing fan, from any series, has any control over and sadly, those factors could very well end racing in the country. But that is a topic for a different discussion.

Quote:
The only place I've seen this is on the internet, which isn't exactly what I would base my view of a fanbase on. From my experiences most seem to at least have respect for NASCAR drivers even if they don't like the sport itself(different story when it comes to those running it though, but even some NASCAR fans dislike what they have turned the sport into).
I cannot say that. I've been following stock car racing, as everything from a participant to a fan, for over 50 years and with very rare exception, I have encountered exactly the opposite, from indy fans, both in person and on the internet. Throughout that time, I have heard NASCAR drivers being refered to, by those fans, by very disparaging, derogatory names/terms, just a few examples, taxi drivers, cab drivers, necks, hillbillies, rednecks. They scoff, when anyone says that any NASCAR driver has even the slightest amount of talent. They call NASCAR drivers cowards, chickens, etc. They say, about NASCAR drivers, that they are not "real" race car drivers, they the races that they run are not "real" races and that NASCAR/stock car racing is not a "real" racing series! Most show absolutely no respect. With a history/track record like that, I see no change, what so ever, from them!

I have encountered this same beahvior/attitude toward myself and my fellow NASCAR fans as well. Both in person and on the internet, I and my fellow NASCAR fans have been called, stupid, illiterate, lowest common denominator, ignorant, dumb , inbred, hicks, rednecks and quite a few other derogatory names! We have been constantly told that we are not "real" race fans! On two occasions, I have been involved in physical altercations, fist fights, literally, with fans of that series! Why? Because I did not agree their their opinions that NASCAR was an inferior form of racing and because I did not bow and worship what they considered to be superior! I did not throw the first punch, in either incident, but I ended the fight on each occasion!

Long story short, their form of racing has not ever appealed to me, different people have different likes and dislikes, that is just the way that life is and because I do not happen to like something that someone else likes is not a crime. Nor is it any kind of a sign of inferiority on my part! In the beginning, though I did not care for their series, their form of racing or their May race, I was tolerant of it and of them. As I was exposed to them more and had more dealing with them, that changed. Now, largely because of them, I have become what they call a "hater". Well, so be it. They made me and many NASCAR fans their enemies! Now do not take it that I am saying ALL of the fans of that series are that way, because they are not, I know a few that are good guys and we get along just fine. We disagree on and we rarely discuss racing. They understand the position that their fellow fans have put myself and many NASCAR fans and how their fellow fans have made many of us the enemy of their series! They regret what has happened, because that know that it has damaged their sport, by assuring that many of us will have absolutely nothing to do with their sport. Will not attend their races, will not watch them on TV, will not support their series, in any way. I don't spealk for all NASCAR fans, by any means, but I do speak for quite a few, that I know and we will have nothing at all to do with anything indy or anything associated with it! I laugh at many of those fans. The want, actually demand that NASCAR fans respect them, their May race and their racing series and they want us to watch it. What they obviously do not know or understand about respect, is that it is not something that you demand from from anybody. Respect can only be EARNED and in order to earn respect from someone, you first have to SHOW RESPECT toward those you wish to have it from! They have done any and everything other than to show respect toward us, so they have no respect from us!

Quote:
All I said was that I'd like it to happen, not that I thought it ever would.
Okay sorry -- I misunderstood you on that.
Old 18 May 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3407620)   #199
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Kurt Busch winning the 500 would be good for both series.

It'd put Indycar splat back on the map with a sensational headline and the NASCAR people can be smug that one of their people trumped the cream of the Indycar elite first time around.

And strong Indycar snapping at the heals of NASCAR, would be good for NASCAR. Not that eventuality is likely.
Old 20 May 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3408160)   #200
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Californian drivers like Gordon, Johnson, Harvick. The Vegas Busch brothers, a Tasmanian - surely that "redneck culture" is slowly changing.
I love both series, completely different, one is open wheel & the other a tin top. Hope they are both successful & around for years to come & I hope Kurt Busch finishes 2nd to Will Power in the Indy 500