Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Jan 2014, 03:54 (Ref:3362378)   #2526
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't Risi have at least some spare cars? I would have assumed so.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 05:28 (Ref:3362398)   #2527
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I didn't think the Risi car survived. I would hope it did because it's been hard enough on Risi. The Ferrari 458 is just such an unlucky GTE car in america. What's the deal? Why can't they put a full race together (well they won VIR) because that car is quick enough to win and has gone the distance at Le Mans.
In America?

All the biggest wrecks in the last 3 years around the world have been indirectly, or directly caused by 458's.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3362516)   #2528
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
In America?

All the biggest wrecks in the last 3 years around the world have been indirectly, or directly caused by 458's.
In all 3 of those instances it's quite unfair to blame the 458 as being at fault.

It could've been any other car in the field on the weekend that lost drive and just been in the wrong place in the wrong time for Memo Gidley to run into.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 12:24 (Ref:3362524)   #2529
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
It sounds like the initial plan was that it would be Pickett, now it's equivocal - could be them, could be someone else. That's my read anyway.
Considering that Pickett is now an official Nissan partner team, I would be extremely surprised if it was someone else.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3362622)   #2530
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
In America?

Le Mans 2011, 2012 and Memo? Don't forget Allan Simonsen's AMR thin roll cage.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3362625)   #2531
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/ht...s-sls-amg-gt3/
Looks like HTP was the mystery Mercedes-Benz GTD team and not Black Swan! Would be great to see them here with the SLS
Old 31 Jan 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3362627)   #2532
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://sportscar365.com/wec/aco-imsa...rototype-regs/

For 2017 and on, the top Prototype category in IMSA will be whatever the P2 equivalent for the ACO is, DP's as they are known now, will not be eligible.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3362657)   #2533
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I think alot of people will be happy to hear that.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3362659)   #2534
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
So with IMSA having a part in the new P2 regs and also looking at the DTM chassis regulations, will the new P2 regs be a blend of the current ones and SuperGT/DTM then?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3362672)   #2535
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
So with IMSA having a part in the new P2 regs and also looking at the DTM chassis regulations, will the new P2 regs be a blend of the current ones and SuperGT/DTM then?
If IMSA and the ACO know what is good for them (and they don't) the cars will all resemble this Mazda.

Boom perfect, there is your prototype class! Good looking, safe, and has a unique brand identity (looks different than DTM, IndyCar, or NASCAR).

Most importantly the fans like it, cars that look like this one will bring in spectators, add a few Works programs and boom, instant classic!
Old 31 Jan 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3362681)   #2536
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I suspect they'll base the whole thing on current-day P2, but they'll have to evaluate P2, SuperGT and DTM comparatively in terms of crashworthiness and take the best ideas in terms of safety from all three.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3362688)   #2537
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
If IMSA and the ACO know what is good for them (and they don't) the cars will all resemble this Mazda.

Boom perfect, there is your prototype class! Good looking, safe, and has a unique brand identity (looks different than DTM, IndyCar, or NASCAR).

Most importantly the fans like it, cars that look like this one will bring in spectators, add a few Works programs and boom, instant classic!
Think late nineties GT1, just modernized.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3362705)   #2538
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I recall that Starworks and Ganassi were considering LMP2s, but the rules were finalized too late for them to go through with the purchase. I think many of the DP teams would be willing to switch to LMP2 cars in a few years after they've gotten their money's worth from the 2014 DPs.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3362754)   #2539
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I suspect they'll base the whole thing on current-day P2, but they'll have to evaluate P2, SuperGT and DTM comparatively in terms of crashworthiness and take the best ideas in terms of safety from all three.
I think they will look much like both. Stylized much like the DPs for brand activation as well as the LMP aero nose options. The chassis along the lines of DTM/GT500 where a full CF tub is utilized with Tube sub frames front and rear. Engine cradled not stressed and mfgs crate motors in the 550hp range similar to what PC utilizes in the Chevy lump. Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Ferrari, Honda, Nissan, Audi even Judd, AER etc... could build engines within those specs and price points if they wanted. ACO was headed there already once, with the EVO P-1 concept.

L.P.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3362765)   #2540
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

That's my problem with this whole series.., NASCAR nor any other sanctioning body should designing what a car looks like it should be the engineers and the sanctioning body should just make sure it's safe.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3362766)   #2541
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the dealings with DTM and SuperGT are for a new American based series that IMSA will sanction but otherwise will not be related to TUSC.

Other than Scott mentioning he was "intrigued" by the concept of a carbon tub with a roll cage, I don't think there's going to be any direct connection with the 2 series.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 01:04 (Ref:3362775)   #2542
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know who the person is who maintains this Wikipedia site, which I think is the best that I've seen so far, but if anyone knows how to contact him/her to correct the engine currently listed as being in the GTLM SRT Viper, from a Porsche 4.0L Flat 6 to an SRT Viper 8.0L V10, that would be great! Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_U...ionship_season
Old 1 Feb 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3362778)   #2543
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
I don't know who the person is who maintains this Wikipedia site, which I think is the best that I've seen so far, but if anyone knows how to contact him/her to correct the engine currently listed as being in the GTLM SRT Viper, from a Porsche 4.0L Flat 6 to an SRT Viper 8.0L V10, that would be great! Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_U...ionship_season
I just fixed it myself. That's the beauty of Wikipedia.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3362786)   #2544
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see why there would be a common chassis ... one major idea behind having a common class across the world would be to make racing financially feasible for more constructors, thus introducing variety.

Why use an IndyCar-style "safety cell" which puts all the money into one company's coffers, or worse, is produced by each manufacturer and thus destroys any diversity, so we are left with a bunch of DP-style clone cars that pretend to be different?

What is it about people actually building their own cars that is so unpalatable nowadays? Back when I started, and for almost the entire time I have been a fan, the whole point was to have people building cars to formula, and seeing which cars were best, along with which drivers and teams.

Once the cars become essentially identical, the only thing left is to promote the drivers ... and how well did that work for Rolex?

If FIA/ACO and TUSC have anything approaching a clue between them, they will simply update P2 regs and carry on with what has worked.

DPs take more fuel to reach the same speed and are arguably less safe (I would like to see a couple go through FIA crash-testing.) They are unnecessarily heavy for the protection and performance they offer.

I have no problem with DPs racing for the next few years, but I cannot see any value to keeping them around for any longer than that. Considering the next P2 regs could be around for a decade (as will have the current ones) I think it is obvious the regs must be a up-to-date and forward-thinking as possible.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3362883)   #2545
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Doesn't Risi have at least some spare cars? I would have assumed so.
Judging by their missing Mosport last year because their car was still under repair from the damage it took at Lime Rock, it would seem that they don’t have a spar car.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3362903)   #2546
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I don't see why there would be a common chassis ... one major idea behind having a common class across the world would be to make racing financially feasible for more constructors, thus introducing variety.

Why use an IndyCar-style "safety cell" which puts all the money into one company's coffers, or worse, is produced by each manufacturer and thus destroys any diversity, so we are left with a bunch of DP-style clone cars that pretend to be different?

What is it about people actually building their own cars that is so unpalatable nowadays? Back when I started, and for almost the entire time I have been a fan, the whole point was to have people building cars to formula, and seeing which cars were best, along with which drivers and teams.

Once the cars become essentially identical, the only thing left is to promote the drivers ... and how well did that work for Rolex?

If FIA/ACO and TUSC have anything approaching a clue between them, they will simply update P2 regs and carry on with what has worked.

DPs take more fuel to reach the same speed and are arguably less safe (I would like to see a couple go through FIA crash-testing.) They are unnecessarily heavy for the protection and performance they offer.

I have no problem with DPs racing for the next few years, but I cannot see any value to keeping them around for any longer than that. Considering the next P2 regs could be around for a decade (as will have the current ones) I think it is obvious the regs must be a up-to-date and forward-thinking as possible.
I think the problem with people being able to build their own cars now is NASCAR has that everyone gets a trophy mentality that everything has to be equal.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3362921)   #2547
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"I think the problem with people being able to build their own cars now is NASCAR has that everyone gets a trophy mentality that everything has to be equal."

It is the Brian France "Marketing Uber Alles" mindset which says that fans need to see two cars nose-to-tail on at the finish line, which only thinks in terms of TV clips and soundbytes, which honestly ignores the fact that some people like Racing, because the Brian France mentality knows that lemmings with televisions can be convinced to watch almost anything if you pander enough.

The whole ad business is basically lying to people that one identical product is better than another and getting them to believe it by ridiculous 30- and 60-second TV clips. No surprise that NASCAR thinks racing is best handled the same way.

To market the NASCAR way, all variables must be controlled to create the desired message which is most amenable to promotion---not the best race, but the proper and most marketable outcome. (Hence GWC.)

Racing is not even part of it. All that counts is that the "product" lend itself to TV clips and soundbytes.

Sadly there aren't enough Race fans to swing the needle back. And frankly, a lot of those race fans are NASCAR fans, watching whatever racing is actually allowed to happen in NASCAR.

It is really about racing versus creating a marketable product, and not surprisingly the marketable product is easier to sell to a wider audience conditioned by a lifetime of TV marketing.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3362958)   #2548
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Judging by their missing Mosport last year because their car was still under repair from the damage it took at Lime Rock, it would seem that they don’t have a spar car.
Yep, pretty sure they don't have a spare car. The only other 458 chassis I'm aware of them having was the 2011 car (2806). That being said, I expect their ties with the factory mean they'll have access to a replacement chassis before March if they need it. The only question, I suppose, is how many $$ will need to head to Italy for that to happen.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3363057)   #2549
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking forward to Long Beach and Laguna Seca. With no LMPC and GTD being around we could get relaltivly caution free races there. Plus I don't see Daytona Prototypes being so dominant over the other categories at the tracks on the rest of the schedule.

No doubt in my mind that last yellow at the end of the Daytona 24 has got to go down as the most controversial full course yellow in sportscar racing history. I can't think of any others that affected a race in such a negative way as this one.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3363073)   #2550
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I am looking forward to Long Beach and Laguna Seca. With no LMPC and GTD being around we could get relaltivly caution free races there. Plus I don't see Daytona Prototypes being so dominant over the other categories at the tracks on the rest of the schedule.

No doubt in my mind that last yellow at the end of the Daytona 24 has got to go down as the most controversial full course yellow in sportscar racing history. I can't think of any others that affected a race in such a negative way as this one.
Delta wing at laguna seca last year stalling at the paddock entrance with 30 minutes to go.yea it was only a four hour race but it still ended with a two lap shoot out which was a mistake,with the time left on the clock it was enough for three laps.that one really angers me because I was right there yelling my lungs out to just push the delta wing down hill into the paddock,all I wanted was to see the last alms run green to the finish,plus rebellion was catching back up.....

I think long beach might give an advatage to dps also, because it's more slow 90degree corners,point then shoot.if you have high horsepower you can put down faster you will be down the straights fast.pluss most corners are slower in speed so less aero grip can be achieved and more mechanical grip will be needed.im thinkin more along the lines of gtlm vs dp there.

Last edited by Lagunaseca_4life; 2 Feb 2014 at 00:16.