Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 13 Jun 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1633153)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The one that got away.

Was there a time in your past when you had the oppurtunity to buy a classic car and for what ever reason passed it up, only to rue the day years later?

What was the car and why didn't you buy it?
Old 22 Jun 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1638982)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A DBS V8, the original twin headlamp version in BRG and in really good condition. My job had just been made redundant, so I had a bit of cash to burn! It was advertised in the Classic Car mags with a well-known classic car dealer (so well known that I have forgotten the name!). I hummed and hahhed over it and eventually showed the advert to my wife, and she said, rather surprisingly, 'go for it'. I immediately rang up but the dealer laughed and said, 'it's gone, I could have sold it 10 times over'. The moral is that if you see a classic for sale that you want, and have the funds, don't hesitate!
Old 28 Jun 2006, 15:36 (Ref:1643510)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slightly different league, but a 1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120, the fastback one with the Holbay engine.

An old boy down the road had cherished it and polished it, and ultimately the inevitable happened - the car outlasted him.

I mulled and urred about what time I ought to let elapse before I approached his widow about it, until the day finally came that I decided I ought to see if she would consider selling it on.

I was a day too late - someone else had knocked on the door and got it for a bargain price.... to use on a banger racing track.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1643541)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A real shame that one Tim; a pretty rare sight these days!
Old 28 Jun 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1643714)   #5
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only just slightly off topic; in the early 70's, our neighbours Dad swapped his DB2 (I think) for a three wheeler thingy, maybe a Berkeley. Oh, how we laughed....
Old 29 Jun 2006, 02:30 (Ref:1643852)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Only just slightly off topic; in the early 70's, our neighbours Dad swapped his DB2 (I think) for a three wheeler thingy, maybe a Berkeley. Oh, how we laughed....
OMG, what an idiot!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 02:31 (Ref:1643853)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Tim, my Dad had a Sunbeam Rapier in the early '70s, when we lived in singapore. I have no idea what model it was, but it looked a bit like a sleek 2 door Hillman Minx.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1650766)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
There haven't been any replies to this thread since I used "sleek" and "Hillman Minx" in the same sentence. Did i throw you all off with that one?
Old 8 Jul 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1650796)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I once saw a Ford Fairlane for £50 at the side of the road in Walworth, As I was at work (driving my truck) I couldn't take it there and then and needed to go and draw the money out of the bank. I went back that lunch time and it was sold. I don't think it was a particularly classic car then, or even now but I just fell in love with the shape and wanted it
Old 8 Jul 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1650821)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The one that got away..... My dad sold his Jensen Interceptor (Mk III, British Racing Green with white leather interior) JUST as I was starting to take driving lessons

He never confirmed if the two were related.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1650848)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Going back even further, or is it farther? I had an Austin pedal car in the late 50s/early 60s (anyone remember those) and my dad did a lovely spray job on it and then sold it, I never forgave him
Old 8 Jul 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1650861)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automobile Antics

How about the one you owned and traded away (or wrecked) never thinking how valuable or just "nice to have" the would be today.

In my case:

1. 1957 Austin-Healy 100-6
2. 1962 Austin Cooper (998cc, road & race, see avatar - photo from OCT 1962)
3. 1961 Bug(Frog)eye Sprite race car
4. 1963 Lotus 7 (BMC-A engine, road & race)
5. 1962 Sunbeam Alpine
6. 1965 MG 1100 sedan
7. 1967 Triumph Spitfire
8. 1969 FIAT 124 coupé
9. 1984 ALFA-Romeo GTV-6

Old 9 Jul 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1651291)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
The one that got away..... My dad sold his Jensen Interceptor (Mk III, British Racing Green with white leather interior) JUST as I was starting to take driving lessons
That's just too cruel!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1818150)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
My Dad had an XY Fairmont GS done up as a very good replica of an XY GT, fitted with a Phase 3 engine. I was only 19 at the time and he never let me drive it by myself. He had many cars in his lifetime and that is the one that i miss.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1818247)   #15
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auster 7 Ulster complete with boat tail back end and fish tail exhaust.

Purchased for £45 sold for £50. In retrospect the worst thing, I ever did but back in the 60s they were just "old bangers".
Old 18 Jan 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1818253)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hindsight is a wonderful thing though isn't it. If only we knew then what we know now!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1834746)   #17
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was 16 I saw a pair of MGBs for sale in the local trader for $1000 (it was in Florida), but they didn't quite look right, having a bump in the bonnet... A trip up to the book store enlightened me to the MGC, at the time a rough one was worth $6,000. By the time I got back home and phoned the guy they had gone. Rats!!! I have since made it my mission to become a proper car geek so that I don't miss out on stuff like that again!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1834840)   #18
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An original Audi Quattro. When I worked in Wolfsburg in the early 80's some of the original factory cars were being sold off and I had a contact on the inside. I just couldn't quite afford it - the Taxman cometh
Old 7 Feb 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1835055)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My old man had a Ford prefect E93A (puddlejumper) reg no NKP 1 and took it to the scrap yard with a knackard diff ! He also took a Ford V8 Pilot woody (it was rare even then ) to the same yard in the mid 60s. I have had about 6 Anglia vans in my time, I saw one advertised in a classic mag for 3k , but do people actually buy them for that money ? I gave a Lotus Cortina away to George Polley so he could use the engine in a rally car. Hindsight ha !
Old 7 Feb 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1835152)   #20
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Series 1½ E-type. I was selling my second modsports Sprite in the late 1970s because I was moving home, and the chap who bought it wanted to trade his E-type against it. It had just had a bare-metal respray and had been selected for him by Basil Dagge. If I remember I could have picked it up for around £2,000, but would have had nowhere to keep it
Old 8 Feb 2007, 05:59 (Ref:1835981)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford Falcon XB GT coupe - a friend of my dad had one since new, the car was in immaculate condition, slightly modified motor, a reasonably small mileage too. It had been offered to my Dad a couple of times, now at the time values for such a car were ~$20k, then $25k, and was out of my reach although no price had been mentioned from memory. I then heard that another friend of dad's had bought it for $13k. The car now would probably be worth $30-40k.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1836221)   #22
torola
Rookie

Spain
Spain
torola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Alan, a friend of mine in the UK has an original Quattro, I saw it for the first time when I was over this xmas.
He has had it 11 years and it was an ex Keith Garages demo and then owned by the MD until my friend bought it.
Its in pearl white and in very good nick....but I think he's keeping it...unless a lot of bucks are on offer I imagine...a lot of bucks !
Old 8 Feb 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1836411)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you can can still get decent quattros for £6-8K, if you know where to look (note the small q!). The quattro owners club is a good place to start (and the "quattro workshop" near Lutterworth). They are not as expensive to run as some mags make out. I have an MB engined model, bought for £7.5K about 10 years ago when it was probably worth £10K. I have since put 70k miles on it and although its starting to look its age, it is probably still worth £6.5K. This was a car that I promised myself and I did not miss out on! (sorry to change the thread, slightly!). One of the good things about quattros is that most people below the age of about 35 would rather have an Imprezza as they never saw Mikkola and co rally the original, thus keeping prices down. Still a fantastic car, though.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1836601)   #24
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I used to have to go into R&D at VW Wolfsburg quite often (early 1980') and there would be a book in reception where staff and customers could buy company cars that the factory had finished with. This is where the Quattros were and they were pretty cheap, less than about £4000 and not very old, but mucked about with a bit. If you were quick you could pick up a bargain, but I just didn't have the cash at the time.

Mind you there ere other things that they didn't sell, twin engined Scirrocos and Golfs etc. They were wierd!
Old 10 Feb 2007, 20:23 (Ref:1838250)   #25
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one that got away.

Sold my Elva MK6 Climax 1100 in 69 with trailer and quite a few engine spares and 2nd set of wheels with rain tires for $3000.00. Value today probably $65000.00.