Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Jul 2000, 08:46 (Ref:26599)   #1
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does everyone think of the break away by Thruxton, Brands owned circuits and Donnington from the Powertour. I'm the first to admit it hasn't been a success, but the racing from the F3 and GT has been good, especially on channel 4, and I think it is partly the fault of Brands Hatch Leisure in charging 22 pounds for the poor attendances. I think more time is needed for the package to develop.
Old 29 Jul 2000, 16:47 (Ref:26660)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been in the sun for a week - Spain, so please tell me more, as i haven't read Autosport yet..

This sounds interesting!!
Old 30 Jul 2000, 09:34 (Ref:26777)   #3
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton, Donington, Oulton, Brands and Sneterton are all saying that they will not host a Powertour event next year due to low attendance figures this year (600 at Donington according to crash.net). Powertour are blaming the high prices (22pounds for brands owned circuits. They also think that the package needs more time to develop.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 07:08 (Ref:27175)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I've done some chatting, and apparently the deals ben done for racing at other circuits...

Castle Combe is a definite!! But there will have to be some safety improvements apparently...

But with the BTCC looking dreadful, I don't really know what the other circuits hope to achieve...
Old 31 Jul 2000, 08:54 (Ref:27187)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool. does that mean we can expect PowerTour at Mallory, Pembrey, Knockhill and Rockingham as well as Combe? I can't wait!

What's all this that the PowerTour hasn't been a success? With the obvious exception of the ALMS race at Silverstone, its been the best racing in the UK this year. OK, a bit of tweaking is required (more racing on Sunday), but most of the new stuff has been good, especially the strength of the 3 main championships. Maybe BHL don't want PowerTour to make the new BTCC look dull in comparison.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 10:14 (Ref:27198)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
Cool. does that mean we can expect PowerTour at Mallory, Pembrey, Knockhill and Rockingham as well as Combe? I can't wait!
I doubt that Mallory could cope. Its circuit entry is a limiting factor. The others can though.

Old 31 Jul 2000, 10:54 (Ref:27203)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just had the mental image of a British GT field arriving at Quarry on the first lap. Blimey I can't wait!

Seriously though, this can't happen can it? Surely BMP aren't going to cut off their nose to spite their face? Seems crazy to me.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 11:02 (Ref:27205)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
It's a definite....

Rockingham and Mondello Park were mentioned also..

But thats just word of mouth.. So don't quote me!!

Quarry corner, first lap - i'll be there!!

Rather than working together, they decided that BTCC can survive on its own seperate to Powertour. They could have had a great package, but decided on this..
Old 3 Aug 2000, 07:22 (Ref:28001)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BHL are in mega aggresive mood - and they thought Nicola Foulston was a hard faced ***.....

When the whole BHL thing came about years ago, it was mentioned at the time that one of the munis points is that one company would control so many venues and thereby have the power to control championships/series.

Now in its new guise this looks as if it is happening, but before we all get hot under the collar, if BHL hadn't been formed, snetterton would now be an industrial park, Oulton would have fallen to bits and Brands wouldn't have the facilties to hold world class events like world superbikes,etc. Cadwell I guess would have become a country park/picnic site.

This is the reality and now that Thruxton and Donington have joined forces with BHL as a Powertour lockout, I have no doubt a lot of back biting will start.

How many series do you think there is room for, have we reached championship saturation point ?
Old 3 Aug 2000, 08:54 (Ref:28008)   #10
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe Combe is going to host the Power Tour, where will they put them all?
The paddock isn't up to scratch, and the pitlane, what pitlane????????
It is good news, but they have a lot of work to do!
Will Bob Light enter the GT race do you think ??
Old 3 Aug 2000, 08:58 (Ref:28009)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Not unless he builds quite a few Stealths...

He did actually build it to be a GT1 car, but then they stopped GT1...

There is too many championships, way too many.. that needs sorting out, because you get the likes of Protons and such racing with 9 cars...
Old 3 Aug 2000, 09:10 (Ref:28012)   #12
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would guess it has a lot to do with the need for next years BTCC to get entries - they need to attract teams from the National Saloons to the BTCC - the easiest way being to freeze out the PowerTour.

What size crowd did Donington get for last Sundays BTCC? - it didn't look that great to me - couldn't have been too large as it was easy to get out...

TOCA package has been getting poorer year by year - crowds at Donington and Oulton Park seemed very much lower this year than last

I recall the early days of the BTCC - the big crowds where only there because the manufacturers where flooding the localilty with free tickets.

I think the PowerTour needs time - it appears to be getting good TV figures - which should eventually start to pull in the crowds.

Perhaps it will end up being a good thing - if PowerTour succeeds without BHL, Donington and Thruxton, it could bring on some of the other circuits.

I hope the BRDC will eventually be able to stick two fingers up to BHL when the BTCC fizzles out...