Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:58 (Ref:691140)   #1
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out in the cold...

I gather Heinz-Harald Frentzen is retiring at the end of this season, but it looks at the moment as if Nick Heidfeld and Jacques Villeneuve are all suited up and no place to go.

What do we think they'll be up to next season?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:04 (Ref:691153)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I worry that your inclusion of Villeneuve in this thread will turn it into something it isn't meant to be! Hopefully not...

If these are lost to F1 what will happen to them. Here are my suggestions that have very little basis behind them:

Frentzen: Will he race elsewhere? What about the DTM? Or perhaps a development driver for an F1 team. I'd like to see him do some sportscar racing.

Villeneuve: Presumably CART if he leaves.

Heidfeld: I suppose he might fancy DTM too, however, as he is still young in F1 terms, his best option could be a test driver. Perhaps with McLaren if Wurz leaves?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:12 (Ref:691176)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it turns into that please feel free to put it out of it's misery, mods.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:39 (Ref:691210)   #4
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HHF - I envisage him retiring the end of this season from F1, but I don't think he'll be gone from motor sport. Perhaps DTM, perhaps sportscars, though I remember a few years ago he was forever being linked with CART teams, so I suppose that's a future. I do consider him to be someone who will continue racing.

Jacques - Maybe next year he will take a sabbatical and come back refreshed and pumped up. But I dunno, maybe he will stay put to begin with! You never really know with him do you?!

Nick - I for one would like to see him replace DC next season at McLaren, but I'm back to thinking it won't happen now. If not his best career move, as Adam says, could be to test for them, as his only real options lie with Jordan/Jaguar it seems, both being a step back in most respects. I read that McLaren/Mercedes have to find him a drive for next season by contract, so I would expect (I think) to see him in F1 next year; I don't think he's about to leave yet. Who knows? Though DTM may be suggested to him from Mercedes.
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, but I feel that life is measured in achievement, and not in years alone"
Old 18 Aug 2003, 14:05 (Ref:691241)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess we're working on the basis that Suaber will eeffectively be Ferari junior with Fisichella and MAssa next year, that Wilson will remian at Jaguar and that Jordan will have to sign 2 cheap or paying drivers (personally I can see Heidfeld there)?

If the Jordan drive doesn't get offered to Nick, McLaren testing alongside the DTM might be an option. He can stillg e tback into F1 later, perhaps in DC's place in 2005, depending on the situation there. he seems too good to be out of a drive, but hasn't really showed hismelf to be a potential champion or even race-winner. His consistancy ais impressive but he fails to really sparkle.

Frentzen, again, DTM looks likely. The CART teams seem reliant on pay-drivers and young talent these days,a dn there's no guarantee that CART will even exist in 2004.

The rumour of JV returnign still lingers, however, and I think if he is regualrly racing anything other than F1, that might be it.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:691249)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if the Mercedes thing comes through won't that make Jordan Macaroon junior? Then Merc fulfils its deal to find a seat.

HHF has never done what I'd hoped but I'd like to see him continue racing. Sportscars, a crack or two at Le Mans and then a worthy retirement.

Can't be arsed to think to much about JV. He got his money so I have no sympathy for him. He would heve done better to stay at Team Willy a bit longer but in fiarness the dosh would turn anybody's head.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 14:28 (Ref:691259)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with you Peter. Mercedes engines to Jordan and Heidfeldt there as driver. HHF to go back to sports cars (he used to be a Sauber driver in the sports prototype days with Mickey the Shoe) and JV to retire. I say retire because I don't think CART could afford him even if it secures it's financial future.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 14:59 (Ref:691285)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think Log might be going on an article in this months F1Racing which speculates who will go where for next season.

Interestingly, if they are right, the Jordan will have Merc engines for 2004, but with Alex Wurz in the car (another Merc/Mac contracted driver) as oppossed to Heidfeld.

Last edited by Mr V; 18 Aug 2003 at 14:59.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 15:18 (Ref:691310)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Whats to say it isnt Alex AND Nick?
Old 18 Aug 2003, 15:41 (Ref:691344)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Because B & H will want to retain a British driver, so Firman will proberbly keep his seat, although i'd rather see Ant in it.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 17:26 (Ref:691452)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HHF was looking for a high profile testing role next year.

As for Heidfeld he could go to Jordon or takeup a test role at high profile team like mclaren then take a drivers place in a years time
Old 18 Aug 2003, 17:40 (Ref:691469)   #12
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Mr V regarding the Jordan thing...Firman would appear likely to keep his seat, but he doesn't deserve to....he's not fast enough and Anthony Davidson would be a far better choice. I'd love to see Wirdheim in there too though...
Old 18 Aug 2003, 20:55 (Ref:691630)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont really think anyone can afford to take a year out testing if they want to return to racing, there's just too much competition and not enough seats.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 06:55 (Ref:691871)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Much as I would like to see Anthony in a race seat, would it be a good carrear move to go to Jordan? Look what it's done to Fisi!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:05 (Ref:691875)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren testing alongside a DTM program for Nick? With a return to a race drive in 2005, possibly replacing DC (assuming JPM isn't already signed). Maybe he could get a drive with Jordan next year?

JV has said he doesn't want to join CART while it's still troubled, so perhaps he might just tackle the Le Mans 24 Hour or some other selected sportscar races.

I expect HHF will just hang up his helmet for now, if he retires.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 09:10 (Ref:692971)   #16
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because Nick's shorter than me, and Wurz is about twice my height!!!!!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 12:56 (Ref:693188)   #17
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one worrying about JV might want to take a look at this,the line-ups for 2004 it is only opinion but it is informed.

Ferrari Michael Schumacher Rubens Barrichello

Williams Ralf Schumacher Juan Pablo Montoya

McLaren Kimi Raikkonen David Coulthard

Renault Jarno Trulli Fernando Alonso

Sauber Giancarlo Fisichella Felipe Massa

Jaguar Mark Webber Justin Wilson

Jordan Nick Heidfeld Ralph Firman

BAR Jenson Button Alex Wurz

Toyota Olivier Panis Christiano da Matta

Minardi Jos Verstappen Nicolas Kiesa
Old 20 Aug 2003, 12:58 (Ref:693192)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DC has just been confirmed at Macaroon for one more year. Got this from a mate but can't find it anywhere on the web at the mo.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:17 (Ref:693227)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Nothing on Reuters yet Peter.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:19 (Ref:693229)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Much as I would like to see Anthony in a race seat, would it be a good carrear move to go to Jordan? Look what it's done to Fisi!
You have a good point Stephen, i'm not sure whats better, sitting on the sidelines without a drive or driving round in a bad car thats may not do wonders for your career?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:32 (Ref:693240)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
DC has just been confirmed at Macaroon for one more year. Got this from a mate but can't find it anywhere on the web at the mo.
Just heard that on TV, last GP weekend.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:45 (Ref:693649)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
No, you can't be serious. Is Ronnie really that stupid?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:07 (Ref:693671)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah..i've heard words going on that Mclaren is keeping DC for ANOTHER year...Ron ain't that smart a man is he?!

As for Heidfeld... interestingly, his future depends very much on the decisions beyond his control. If Mercedes provide Jordan with engines, Heidfeld may end up as in a Jordan seat, probably taking the seat vacated by Fisi. Otherwise, Heidfeld may be brought into Mclaren next year if Wurz is leaving, as a test driver, to either be a backup stop-gap plan in case DC really can't compete, or if they can't woo JPM in 2005. The third possibility is that he may end up as a Ferrari test driver, if Massa is indeed heading to Sauber for a race season... but that would be tricky considering Nick's shaky Mercedes link.

I won't forsee HHF just leave the racing scene totally... but whether he would pursue a role in F1 or back to his sportscar days would be nice.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 21:43 (Ref:693759)   #24
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think JV will go into champ cars, and nick will become a test driver for one of the teams. I'd hate to see HHF retire too!!!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 21:45 (Ref:693762)   #25
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hhf in dtm, heidfeld tests for mclaren.

jacques...how about in red prodrive ferrari at le mans?