Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1329421)   #1
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how fast is too fast?

i'll admit my technicall knowledge of F1 is not as as thourough as i would like it to be. so let me ask what the opinion of others is on this subject.
with so many issues focusing on the need for new regs, saftey, lack of overtaking are F1 cars just too fast for the tracks they are racing on? and not just straight line speed(preventing cars from getting airborne etc.) but as it relates to cornering, tire ware, and engines being able to get enough air intake around slow corners etc.. also is this a possible reason some of the newer tracks seem to lack the same apeal as the older ones?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1329461)   #2
arthurive
Rookie

United States
Michigan, USA
arthurive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The primary problem is the incredibly short braking zones, coupled with a over
reliance on aerodynamic downforce (aero grip) rather than mechanical grip.
So rather than the cars being "too fast" I think they corner too quickly.
Another problem is that the cars are too easy to drive. That's to say, they're too
easy for a competent driver to reach the 95-97% level of total performance.
It's still very difficult to get the car at their 99-100% level, but a lot of decent
F3 guys seem to be able to drive these F1 machines pretty competently after only
a few days of testing.
This was never the case in the 80s (for example) It was much harder to keep the car
under control, keep the power applied properly. Keke Rosberg as much as said that
in his day, there was no way an F3 driver could adapt to an F1 car as quickly as we see today.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1329504)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurive
Keke Rosberg as much as said that
in his day, there was no way an F3 driver could adapt to an F1 car as quickly as we see today.

Martin Brundle and Ayrton Senna did just that
Old 15 Jun 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1329526)   #4
arthurive
Rookie

United States
Michigan, USA
arthurive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Martin Brundle and Ayrton Senna did just that
Well, blow me out of the water why don't you!
Senna was supremely gifted and Martin was intelligent and solid.
Still, I stand by my assertion that today's F1 cars are too easy for
a competent talent to get to an acceptable performance level, quickly.
It's that last bit that's still tough to come by.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1329715)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurive
Well, blow me out of the water why don't you!
Yes, KB is well known for that around here!

I happen to agree with you, because to many drivers have claimed that today's cars are to easy to drive. It seem's the real skill in driving one of these cars, is consistency. A top notch driver needs to be consistent lap after lap, race after race.

Many folks here will say that an IRL, or CC driver just can't hack it in F1. I disagree with that sentiment. Given enough proper practice time, I think almost any top open wheel driver from a major championship can make it in F1 given these aero adept cars...

Welcome to the forum arthurive!

Danica Patrick