Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 2013, 04:14 (Ref:3284048)   #2501
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
If Black Swan/Green Hornet can enter GTD at Daytona with the Mercedes SLS, then I think I will like their chances. I have four words that can back that up too: Dubai, Bathurst, Nurburgring, Spa
I think you are forgetting the main part of this: yes, Mercedes SLS AMG GT3s did win all of those rounds, but then again, it wasn't under the Black Swan/Green Hornet banner. If you are saying they have a good chance at winning the Daytona 24 or Sebring 12hr in class, you're crazy... unless they put in factory drivers like Wendlinger, Bleekemolen, Jans, Jager, Buhk, etc.

LeSaffre/Pappas/? doesn't sound too promising, even if the ? was one of who I mentioned above...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3284050)   #2502
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
But you have to remember that GTD is supposed to be a pro-am class, where there has to be at least one pro-am/gentleman driver per car. The all pro line ups that the Merc had in the endurance races it won will most likely be illegal unless one of the drivers mentioned is old enough to be demoted a level on the ranking system.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 05:29 (Ref:3284063)   #2503
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Green Hornet has sold their SLS...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3284069)   #2504
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's also basically already a different car they run in pwc from the fia gt3 spec, with what's been said already a gtd spec gt3 is going to get a spec wing,that alone is going to need the entire aero redone and may even cause the car to be unbalanced or uncompetitive and be reengineered.it may as well be a whole different car than what's racing in Europe. Plus bleekmolem has raced with papas before in gtc and they got it done wining the championship a few times, if an amg is going to take it I'd put them at the top of the list.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 06:02 (Ref:3284071)   #2505
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Green Hornet has sold their SLS...
They did? I just saw it a few weeks ago racing at Lime Rock.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3284072)   #2506
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Remember when I asked that horrible question about headlights?

Elkins was answering questions on Twitter so I asked and his reply was pretty much that yes, all cars would have their headlights on 100% of the time.
Same rule at Le Mans... you get black-flagged and called into the pits for repairs if your headlights are broken.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3284080)   #2507
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
RE DP-engines in P2:

The ACO's cost cap for LMP2 is rather restrictive, as far as I now, DP-engine budgets are way (way, way) higher than that.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3284150)   #2508
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yet, a DP engine is much more of a literal "stock block" deal than the Nissan VK45 is. Aside from different cylinder liners, the 5.0 Cammer is little different from the old 4.6 Ford V8, or the current 5.0 Coyote V8 from the Mustang.

The VK45 is considerably modified from the production engine, namely the use of the flatplane crank (the stock engine uses a crossplane crank) and various other modifications to suit it's use in Super GT. Only difference is that the engine was de-tuned to suit the LMP2 power regs, where it makes about 100 less BHP than it did in GT500.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3284152)   #2509
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
GA doesn't satisfy a technophile like me. Calling these near GT-bodied tube trucks they're racing "Prototypes" is an insult to me. And just because you race DPs and GAGTs on the same track as real cars, doesn't make it better. In fact BOPing these abominations close to real cars is yet another insult, just as this Camaro joke that obviously is allowed (and lobbied for) to win races. Best two things that USCR have going for them is the fraction of their entrants that formerly will have been known as ALMS, and access to classic north american tracks (although they seem to be able to even fck that resource up. Going to rovals? Lime Rock in doubt? Please).

So... I'm guessing you we're never a Trans-Am fan? Funny... I remember Trans-Am being awesome in the 80s and 90s... Guess what constitutes as awesome these days are mild Euro rulesets
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3284169)   #2510
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Please see a related post in the grand Am thread. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...135535&page=57

While Trans Am (or what you are apparently too young to remember, Camel GT) were indeed tube-framed, and tremendously exciting, they were not all that technically advanced. Live rear axles, big V8s, wide tires, huge fender flares and big wings, hurrah! But not in any way high-tech refined sports-racing prototypes.

Sorry for you, but some folks like high-tech cars. Doesn't mean they don't like sprint cars or NASCAR or didn't like trans-am--they just prefer to watch the latest, most advanced racing vehicles on the planet. Seems F1 gets a few fans that way, eh?

The idea that because Trans Am was a great series, therefore Rolex must be a great series, is based on no fact or logic. Both had some tube frames; both also were exclusively four-wheeled vehicles. Does that mean any racing series using four-wheeled vehicles is automatically great?

Different strokes. Some people like IndyCar, some like F1, some like up-to-date sports prototypes which use the best available technology. Some people don't care about technology.

But try to realize, please---"Tube Frames" is not the issue here.

Last edited by Maelochs; 31 Jul 2013 at 11:18.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3284173)   #2511
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Is that really more outlandish than a BMW Z4 doing the same thing? At least the Camaro is available with an engine remotely in the same performance region.
And the Mazda. Its more of a cultural thing than a spec thing.
The Camaro has had a different US race heritage than say in Europe.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3284177)   #2512
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
So... I'm guessing you we're never a Trans-Am fan? Funny... I remember Trans-Am being awesome in the 80s and 90s... Guess what constitutes as awesome these days are mild Euro rulesets
Trans Am was at it's greatest in the late 60's and early 70's, when it used stock unibody chassis (obviously modified). It did have a renaissance in the 80's and early 90's as a tube frame series, but then the manufacturers dropped the concept, and wanted to race unibody chassis. Time marches on, and much like there is no reason to run drum brakes anymore, there isn't a need to use other old technologies such as tube frames. 96' was really the last big year for the concept, and then Chevrolet changed focus to the Unibody Corvette for LM rules.

Unibody isn't a Euro ruleset at all, ridiculous notion.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3284192)   #2513
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
1990s Trans Am: Tommy Kendall's Sunday drive.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:13 (Ref:3284264)   #2514
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continental rocks to be sole tire for all USCR classes but GTE:

http://www.alms.com/articles/imsa-ti...ed-2014-season

Lame, but not surprising.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3284267)   #2515
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Continental rocks to be sole tire for all USCR classes but GTE:

http://www.alms.com/articles/imsa-ti...ed-2014-season

Lame, but not surprising.
Truthfully I don't see it as a big issue really at this point. It is a positive for the Pro-AM categories, less so for the "top" P category.

I do hope they open it up for the top class, if they truly pursue having a top tier Prototype category in the future, but with the provision that any tire manufacturer providing tires to any entrant, must be willing and able to sell the same spec tires to any and all other entrants.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3284271)   #2516
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Truthfully I don't see it as a big issue really at this point. It is a positive for the Pro-AM categories, less so for the "top" P category.

I do hope they open it up for the top class, if they truly pursue having a top tier Prototype category in the future, but with the provision that any tire manufacturer providing tires to any entrant, must be willing and able to sell the same spec tires to any and all other entrants.
I just hope this doesn't deter European teams from coming over and racing.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3284272)   #2517
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the "merger" did that, unfortunately.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3284274)   #2518
BullMan
Veteran

And of course, this is going to screw any P2 team that wants to race Le Mans.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:37 (Ref:3284276)   #2519
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
While it’s certainly a complication that may reduce participation at the margin, the bigger problem is simply money. Or rather, lack of it. While many P2 teams may want to run Daytona and Sebring, whether they have the financial resources to come over and do so remains to be seen. Case in point: Exactly one European P2 car was at Sebring this year (Greaves), and they came essentially as a ride-seller.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3284277)   #2520
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I agree.

L.P.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3284279)   #2521
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

I don't think they have a top p category.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3284283)   #2522
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
I don't think they have a top p category.
Well they don't for now, just saying if they pursue one in the future....
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3284286)   #2523
BullMan
Veteran

Now Hindy is saying USCR plans to "adjust" ALL classes, even GTE, which will obviously take it away from ACO compliance. Doesn't make any sense. I hope he's wrong here. They change GTE and kill any ACO ties then the series doesn't matter and is as insular as Grand-Am. That's a recipe for failure.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3284287)   #2524
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Adjust GTE? Why?

Someone please just turn out the lights.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3284288)   #2525
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Now Hindy is saying USCR plans to "adjust" ALL classes, even GTE, which will obviously take it away from ACO compliance. Doesn't make any sense. I hope he's wrong here. They change GTE and kill any ACO ties then the series doesn't matter and is as insular as Grand-Am. That's a recipe for failure.
I hope not. If that happens I just hope nascar doesn't prop it up for too long after it fails so american sports car racing can start over.
Closed Thread