Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Mar 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3220380)   #101
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I wonder if some people are threatening a breakaway P1 series as leverage to try and get P1 into the United series?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3220383)   #102
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't really matter if there's a breakway series if nobody signs up for it. I haven't heard any team have a burning desire to stay in LMP1 except for Muscle Milk Racing. I think USCR has enough momentum to keep most of the teams from both current series under its belt too.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3220393)   #103
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No one is going to come out and say they're for it. That's obvious. Don't want to burn your bridges.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3220418)   #104
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have put this in the 2014 Fusion Thread, but that is closed, so I think this is the next best place to ask this.

Does anybody know if Greg Pickett was one of the names rumored to try to buy the ALMS?

It would make sense since he

1. Spends at least $7.5 million a year to run the HPD
2. Has openly stated his hatred of DPs.
3. Has a ton of money from Muscle Milk
4. Could have used the ALMS to get free brand exposure for Muscle Milk. Such as: The American Le Mans Series presented by Muscle Milk. Then put up Muscle Milk signs all over the tracks.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3220438)   #105
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I wonder if some people are threatening a breakaway P1 series as leverage to try and get P1 into the United series?
Im looking in Greg Picketts direction here, hardly blame him if it were actually the case
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3220468)   #106
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post

Does anybody know if Greg Pickett was one of the names rumored to try to buy the ALMS?

No.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3220607)   #107
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Very interesting fact from Scott Atherton on the Sebring broadcast. Not sure if it's been mentioned before but when they pooled the ALMS and GA online mailing lists together there was only a 10% cross-over of fans.
When you cross over regular consumers of a mc donald's quarter pounder and regular consumers of a $50+ steakhouse piece of beef, you'll see that there is only a ~ 10% cross-over
Old 18 Mar 2013, 19:10 (Ref:3220729)   #108
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
When you cross over regular consumers of a mc donald's quarter pounder and regular consumers of a $50+ steakhouse piece of beef, you'll see that there is only a ~ 10% cross-over
I assumed it was because GA only had only 10% of the number of fans that ALMS does
Old 18 Mar 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3220759)   #109
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Adding weight to P2s would have a significant detrimental impact on reliability, at least in the endurance races, so I don't see that happening. Further modifying the cars to stand up to the increased weight would also be costly to teams, which seems antithetical to the stated aims.

The problem with having the P2s so good in the corners, and DPs so quick on the straights is quite simply; passing happens on the straights (for the mosst part). Unless you're so much better that you can go around the outside, you're not going to be sticking a pass through the middle of a corner.

In the end, it's far more sensible, and MUCH less work, to speed up one class, than to slow down and re-balance four others.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3220851)   #110
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The concept of a breakaway LMP1-based series is just laughable. I wish that USCR would have P1s next year. However, I can understand USCR's decision.

Let's be honest: privateer LMP1s are a dying breed at the moment. ELMS doesn't have LMP1s anymore. There are exactly two privateer LMP1 cars in WEC for the entire season this year — a privateer LMP1s WEC campaign is a great way to spend a lot of money that means you're effectively battling for fifth unless an Audi or Toyota breaks. There are new LMP1 regs for next year, but at this stage it's very unclear what they will bring. Porsche reentering LMP1 does not make the case for privateer WEC P1 teams any easier.

If you're going to a breakaway, if comes later, probably when the economy is stronger, after USCR and FIA/ACO have a major falling out (and thus the ACO/FIA could line up with the new organization), and when a number of GT teams (of whatever type) have grown disillusioned with USCR. (Most likely case: USCR is initially successful enough to start having to split GT and P at a lot of tracks.)

Also note that I think it possible that LMP1s could reappear in USCR at some point in the future, if it is successful and attracts addition $$$ to the series and ACO/FIA come up with regs that are more friendly to privateer P1 teams.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3220868)   #111
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's funny you say that- because there were more P1 entries signed up for the ALMS this year than P2 entries. Not until ESM decided to give up on GTE, did P2 actually spring to life.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3220884)   #112
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of posters put down the ACO and French politics, but I don't see ACO political intrigue nearly as bad as what we have today with USCR.

We'll see what this crap looks like at Daytona next year. I'm going with USCR management:

ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3220912)   #113
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nm
Old 19 Mar 2013, 01:32 (Ref:3220936)   #114
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now, if Porsche, Toyota, Audi and Oak start selling non-hybrid customer P1 chassis in 2014 ...
Old 19 Mar 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3220954)   #115
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I do not get 'we're slowing down P-2' out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_obM4VtllQk&t=34m45s

L.P.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3220962)   #116
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No one official ever said "slowing P2" and no one ever will officially, even if that is what they do. P2s will be "adjusted" and "modified" to "better balance with the Daytona Prototype class," but never "slowed."

As I have mentioned on one of these sites a couple times, in a one-on-one interview Scott A. all but admitted that for the first two years P2s would have to accept competition-castration rules like DPs, with specified HP and torque curves, and no hot-rodding allowed---but only for the first two years.

Even that might change---until I see the printed rules distriburted to competitors, I won't be sure of what the rules will really be, and even then ... waivers.

But, at There Veal, Scott A. definitely said P2s would be modified away from ACO regs, but hopefully not so far that they couldn't easily be changed back.

Some how I don't think those mods will be to make P2s faster ...
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:09 (Ref:3220971)   #117
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
No one official ever said "slowing P2" and no one ever will officially, even if that is what they do. P2s will be "adjusted" and "modified" to "better balance with the Daytona Prototype class," but never "slowed."

As I have mentioned on one of these sites a couple times, in a one-on-one interview Scott A. all but admitted that for the first two years P2s would have to accept competition-castration rules like DPs, with specified HP and torque curves, and no hot-rodding allowed---but only for the first two years.

Even that might change---until I see the printed rules distriburted to competitors, I won't be sure of what the rules will really be, and even then ... waivers.

But, at There Veal, Scott A. definitely said P2s would be modified away from ACO regs, but hopefully not so far that they couldn't easily be changed back.

Some how I don't think those mods will be to make P2s faster ...

L.P.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:19 (Ref:3220977)   #118
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching The Reveal atm, is it me or is Ed Bennet boring as muck?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3220980)   #119
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ed Bennett is no public speaker, at least not yet.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:28 (Ref:3220982)   #120
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
So true.

L.P.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 03:42 (Ref:3220988)   #121
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Yup. And that's also presumably why Scott A. is the guy that has done most of the public speaking and interviews.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3221359)   #122
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
8Star/Potolicchio bringing on a second Corvette DP and 2 PCs, which with its 2 IMSA lights will give it a complete SportsCar ladder for the USCR.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-expands-to-pc

L.P.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3221838)   #123
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
AIM Autosport looking to expand from GAGT to both GTD & GTLM in USCR.

L.P.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3221939)   #124
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
AIM Autosport looking to expand from GAGT to both GTD & GTLM in USCR.

L.P.
My guess is they will be buying a Ferrari 458 GTC for GTLM, will probably shift one of the current GAGT driving pairs to GTLM and will offer the 2 empty seats for pay drivers.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3221982)   #125
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Not the smartest thing to do. Who would they get to race, and where?
Closed Thread