Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Dec 2003, 02:01 (Ref:799754)   #1
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McConville/LRT in 2004

This weekend has highlighted what a top driver McConville is. I know its his test track, but to get that sort of result considering the budget constraints they run under is trully fantastic. Well done to him and the whole LRT team. Look at the teams/budgets around him on the track...

No offence to LRT (great little team, they more than make the most of what they've got), but Cam deserves a car he can really show his talent in. I think for 2004 (if he's leaving) they should stick another good steerer in the car, like Tim Leahey. Or with the extra money Yoong would bring, a 2 car team.

McConville is apparently off to GRM next year, which if he does go, can hopefully put him consistently into the top 10.

Thoughts?
Old 1 Dec 2003, 02:11 (Ref:799756)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If LRT switches to Ford, as has been widely rumoured, McConville, being a Holden-supported driver, is apparently able to exercise an exit clause on his contract to escape the LRT operation.

LRT do a good job from what must be said is a modest resource base, however it is doubtful McConville would be able to progress with this team without a substantial funding stepchange. Which I presume is why the Ford thing becomes very attractive for them.

Having said that, I still dont know why there is a perception that Alex Yoong can bring money to teams. Alex has been up and down the pitlane with his local management at the weekend, talking to anyone and everyone about opportunities here as a paid, professional race car driver.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Dec 2003, 03:33 (Ref:799807)   #3
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
If LRT switches to Ford, as has been widely rumoured,
Gee, if that happens I hope LRT didn't buy a heap of those ultra rare Aurora cranks

Being one of the last privateer teams, it would ne nice to see this team with a few extra $$'s from either badge.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 03:47 (Ref:799816)   #4
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to one of the team owners it will be status quo next season
Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:03 (Ref:799831)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes well the captain of the Titanic kept saying there wasnt a problem too.... until the boat hit the iceberg
Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:11 (Ref:799834)   #6
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And 100 year later we will still be wondering what happened. As the captain said I am their leader which way did they go????
Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:37 (Ref:799843)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Glug glug glug to the bottom of the ocean, while they kept playing the piano.... fiddling as Rome burns....
Old 1 Dec 2003, 04:50 (Ref:799847)   #8
TheGspot
Racer

Just a thought GTR you must have been crying in your diet coke when speedy missed out by 9/100ths
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:09 (Ref:799859)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I did... was sad to see the crew pack up and drive out the gate, headed home before R1 finished on Saturday

Poor old Speedy... the 103% rule will be harder to beat next season....
Old 1 Dec 2003, 06:34 (Ref:799909)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes well the captain of the Titanic kept saying there wasnt a problem too.... until the boat hit the iceberg
I didnt think there was a problem until it did hit the iceberg???

anyway Cam is a great steerer and if he leaves Lansvale I hope he picks up a decent drive somewhere
Old 1 Dec 2003, 06:58 (Ref:799923)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The problem was the crew saw the iceberg coming, warned the captain... but the captain kept the boat ploughing along, believing the Titanic was the best ship in the world at the time and could handle anything.

When reality clashes with fantasy, its not a pretty sight...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:12 (Ref:800045)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i thought mcconville was a certainty to drive the valvoline car in 04 replacing whincup
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:16 (Ref:800055)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It was that way, but it seems Whincup's run in the Larry Bar VY at Eastern Creek may impressed the GRM boys enough to perservere with him.

I wouldnt be predicting this seat, nor Dumbrell's until the AGP
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:22 (Ref:800312)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that wherever McConville happens to be next year he's given a car to match his talent & be able to finish well up in the championship.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:46 (Ref:800783)   #15
TheGspot
Racer

And beside all the things above he is a really nice guy, I think the sadest thing I have seen in Motorsport was at Adelaide this year when he sat at a table with Skaife, kelly, and a few other high profile Holden Boys boys doing autographs and he nearly went to sleep waiting for someone to ask for his. SAD SAD SAD
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:52 (Ref:800787)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You would think the marketing/PR types at HMS who look after Cam's media would be able to lift his profile... considering he writes a magazine column, is on the teev, and the females seem to swoon over him, its odd he isnt that well known...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:56 (Ref:800792)   #17
TheGspot
Racer

My point exactly.
May be needs a new manager, You might be able to recommend a couple GTR
Old 2 Dec 2003, 00:59 (Ref:800908)   #18
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGspot
And beside all the things above he is a really nice guy, I think the sadest thing I have seen in Motorsport was at Adelaide this year when he sat at a table with Skaife, kelly, and a few other high profile Holden Boys boys doing autographs and he nearly went to sleep waiting for someone to ask for his. SAD SAD SAD
In terms of personality he is one of the more marketable Holden drivers IMHO, up there with Murph in that regard, Cam seems like a genuine nice bloke. Obviously the sheep don't realise this though...

In terms of personality stakes its a bit low on the ground for Holden, look at the Kelly's, Dumbrell, Weel etc. have about as much media savvy as a bunch of house bricks....
Old 3 Dec 2003, 05:45 (Ref:802174)   #19
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You would think the marketing/PR types at HMS who look after Cam's media would be able to lift his profile... considering he writes a magazine column, is on the teev, and the females seem to swoon over him, its odd he isnt that well known...
Yep, he's got all that going for him, but going against him has been a series of mechanical stuff-ups (Phillip Island, Sandown) and just plain bad luck (Pukekohe) as well as being based in the hardest V8 market to crack in Australia.

A change of scenery and a more competitive car would make him a much more marketable package and he could finally bury the "poor old Cam" tag he has carried for so long.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 07:43 (Ref:802274)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
"McConville to Join GRM" and the old favourite "Exclusive" across the top. Even made the cover "GRM Shock - Cam McConville Moves In"

So the geniuses at Auto Action have spun another 200 word story, complete with no attributable quotes, no factual information from official sources, no word from the man himself or his media manager.... all from what seems to be a discussion behind the sheds and the spinning of whispers.

AA is getting beyond a joke, it is worse now than ever!!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 07:49 (Ref:802282)   #21
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You didn't believe me 3 weeks ago when I told you either.
At least someone listens to me.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 07:59 (Ref:802297)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If McConville goes there, it will be because the LRT mob went in a different direction and couldnt accomodate him rather than anything else.

But I always thought a news story had to have some credibility in its words. By not naming sources, not quoting teams and/or drivers directly, not discussing how the driver extricated himself from his existing contract suggests it is merely a rumour that has been padded to fill a space.

Especially when the geniuses putting it together cant seem to decide is it Whincup or Tander for the shaft....

Lamest quote of the article... "The team's engineering strength will also be bolstered next year by a chassis engineer" which is either made up, or a quote unattributed.

Do better AA!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 13:59 (Ref:802617)   #23
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT to LPR
Old 3 Dec 2003, 14:06 (Ref:802623)   #24
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, but I think he's off to Ford. Asked him on the weekend where he was going and he pointed to my "friends" FPR shirt... although I'm sure it's not FPR since they are dropping a car.

And yes GTR, the ladies swoon over him, as we would over most blokes who run triathlons and race fast cars
Old 3 Dec 2003, 14:18 (Ref:802638)   #25
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT to CPR