Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Oct 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1443608)   #1
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McConville to PWR/Super Cheap

I notice most people have assumed that Cameron McConville is staying at GRM, but today's Motorsport News says that Holden about to announce that hes going to Super Cheap alongside Murphy. Its happening they say to keep him in a Holden team rather than let him go to FPR who were chasing him. Paul Weel is going to step aside from a permanent drive and jus do the enduros with the team. Murph - McConville is a strong double dont you think?
So whos going to be at GRM now both drivers are gone?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1443616)   #2
observer
Rookie

Australia
australia
observer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McConville is starting to show a lot of speed in these last few rounds, put him in a faster car, could be good!

If its true!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1443644)   #3
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator22
So whos going to be at GRM now both drivers are gone?
Certainly not the best drive or team to be associated with ; IMHO those vying for the seats will be those drivers whom are left over after all the prime seats are filled .
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:51 (Ref:1443647)   #4
Captain
Rookie

Captain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how he goes at PWR/Supercheap. I have long felt that he was an underestimated driver, with a very good ability to consistantly get the car to the finish line without major damage.

I expect that next year PWR should be very competitive as they now look to have come to terms with their new engine/chassis package. Hopefully Cam will have a car that will let us see what he can do at the pointy end of the field. Good luck to him.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1443650)   #5
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl
Certainly not the best drive or team to be associated with ; IMHO those vying for the seats will be those drivers whom are left over after all the prime seats are filled .
Did I hear someone mention Steve Ellery ?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1443672)   #6
scr
Rookie

Australia
Australia
scr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we have seen both paul weel's car and greg murphy's car have good pace over the year, so there is no reason not to assume both cars would be quick
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1443694)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesnt Paul Weel want a full time drive ??

it seems odd. he has been very consistant and got many points this year.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1443705)   #8
SkaifeysGal
Racer

Australia
Medowie
SkaifeysGal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't mind seeing Cam at SCAR alongside Murph, they would make a good enduro combination

Cam, Your a Legend mate!!!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1443706)   #9
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is teams want someone who is capable of scoring more than just 'points' - they want someone scoring points and on the podium.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1443713)   #10
SkaifeysGal
Racer

Australia
Medowie
SkaifeysGal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get on the podium u need a great car, and we all know GRM doesn't have a really great car, and I think if Cam gets a drive with a team that has really great cars, he can get on the podium

Cam, Your a Legend mate!!!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1443727)   #11
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There's at least one seat spare at Tasman (Whincup) & maybe two (if Jason Richards goes to FPR - who must now be getting offered the deal that McConville was being offered?).

So perhaps Weel will end up at Tasman? Beyond the Murphy connection is there much cooperation between those two teams?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1443729)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm... how interesting... a team owner bounces his #1 son to keep the SuperCheap dollars a-flowing....

It was always assumed that blood was thicker than water... but it seems money is more relevant than most things.

Whispers from places SE Qld suggest that Mr Weel may still be running a Fujitsu series program in 2006..... to keep his hand in....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1443737)   #13
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cameron to SCAR? I heard that Garry Rodgers will keep Cameron and have heard from the grapevine that Dean Canto could get a full drive in car #34 (or #35 if Garry drops the number 33). So if Cameron goes to Super Cheap Auto/PWR, Kees would have to keep old sonny boy Paul and put Murphy in the cold
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1443744)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A pity that Mr Canto will soon be announced at 888 huh... you might need a new battery for the hearing aid
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1443745)   #15
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

When does the deal for Holden to back Kees Weel run out?

Same time as the Holden deal supporting Kelly?

Is this Fujitsu deal an attempt by Kees Weel to make his team financially independent &/or viable?

Is there a message here for the Kelly (HSV dealer) team ?

Has the Holden rescue mission post TWR run its race ?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1443766)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
PWR should be heavily indebted to HMS for their generosity and support...

........however, since this team has soaked up Perkins engines, and other sources for staff (note PWR now employs their own staff, unlike 2003/4 where they were contracted HMS employees) and equipment... the reliance seems only on chassis supply.

Presumably the Fujitsu thing is to keep the otherwise jobless #1 son in a seat....
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1443767)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
A pity that Mr Canto will soon be announced at 888 huh... you might need a new battery for the hearing aid
I always thought that Canto left Triple 8 for good at the end of 04 after Bathurst
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1443780)   #18
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Weel & Ellery @ GRM? Then no-one seems to be treading on anyone elses toes....
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1443792)   #19
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl

Will BIG TOM have a say in the running of SCAR only time will tell.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1443804)   #20
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, you've got that one wrong GTR.
Dean Canto will NOT be at 888 next year.

Edit: Sorry - this was supposed to have your quote re Canto announced at 888
Old 26 Oct 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1443842)   #21
Fuji
Rookie

Fuji should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not seeing Paul Weel in the championship is really going to hurt the TV ratings and crowd attendance figures!! His unique ability to turn a top 5 car into a late 20's qualifying position is unlike no other driver in the series.

Without daddy Weel giving him a seat in his race team I imagine the highly skilled Paul will assume a management position in the race team or take up a public speaking role ("n-that").

Good to see Holden and Mr Thorn have finally been able to brake the back of the father / son combination. I could never understand why a commercial sponsor would want to contribute a large amount of money to a team that was 50% focused on winning (car 51) and 50% focused on giving junior a toy to play with.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1443868)   #22
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL...my thoughts exactly. No doubt he is a good driver, but deserving of a top drive..No.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s when provateers made up a percentage fo the grid (like the old PWR Falcon days) then it was good to see him out there to make up the numbers. But with the quantity of truly talented steerers in Australias ranks these days, ability shoudl be the main attribute of drivers, not parents owning race teams.

The same could be said for the Kelly brothers initially. But they have rised to the occassion with the added benefit of experienced team mates. Bright didnt seem to lift Wheels performance a whole lot, and he has more seasons in V8s then either if the Kelly boys
Old 26 Oct 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1443951)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji
Not seeing Paul Weel in the championship is really going to hurt the TV ratings and crowd attendance figures!! His unique ability to turn a top 5 car into a late 20's qualifying position is unlike no other driver in the series.

Without daddy Weel giving him a seat in his race team I imagine the highly skilled Paul will assume a management position in the race team or take up a public speaking role ("n-that").

Good to see Holden and Mr Thorn have finally been able to brake the back of the father / son combination. I could never understand why a commercial sponsor would want to contribute a large amount of money to a team that was 50% focused on winning (car 51) and 50% focused on giving junior a toy to play with.
You forgot the part about every time Jr puts the #50 car in the sand, the #10 mob cross to dear old dad who seems always to be in raptures of laughter.....

Why not share the joke with the paying public so we can all get a chuckle...

I cannot recall another operation where the team principal gets overjoyed that the fruit of his loins has binned a car, and created hours and hours of work for an already disheartened crew... assuming you can find someone to work on that car anyway....
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1444375)   #24
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Will BIG TOM have a say in the running of SCAR only time will tell.
I thought that they had distanced themselves far enough away from the "nasty people and the bankrupt TW" ; with SCAR now using Perkins engines it would be an ideal time to sever any links with the HMS people.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1444389)   #25
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Did I hear someone mention Steve Ellery ?
IMHO - original quote in a nut shell - Rogers would be amazed at his trashing ability.
Unfortunately Ellery's best results have come from the demise of others that were ahead of him in the pack and probably the best that Rogers could hope for - I could never see a "top line" driver breaking his neck to get the GRM seat.