Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1114831)   #1
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
South African Gp in 2007

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/041004/13/6w18.html

Cape Town are aiming for a GP in 2007 according to this story. One wonders who else will have to make way.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1114846)   #2
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Italy and Germany have TWO races. Take one race away from each country and there is then two places free on the calendar. Problem solved!!
Old 4 Oct 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1114865)   #3
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Gunnell
Both Italy and Germany have TWO races. Take one race away from each country and there is then two places free on the calendar. Problem solved!!
Totally agree, the European GP should be held in a European country that does not already host its own GP and why exactly does San Marino deserve one when there is no F1 capable curcuit in San Marino?
Old 4 Oct 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1114889)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... maybe ebcause the San Marino district contains the very top of motorsport world passion?
Old 4 Oct 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1114907)   #5
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza's not far from San Marino anyway - residents don't have to travel anywhere near as far as people from Scotland, Argentina or New Zealand (to name 3 enthusiastic countries) do.

If this project comes off, it could be positive for F1 to have a race in Africa again, and Imolawould probably be my first chocie to go - Barcelonashould be fixed foraslongasAlonso is a frontrunner, while Hungary is a great one economically although it's a boring race.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1114919)   #6
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
This sounds good for South Africa but there is no track in Capetown which could host a F1 race... Another Tilke ring?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1114979)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry chaps we have had this discussion before.Its the promoter that bungs Bernie the most money that is getting the dates.Italy,Germany,& Britain have always attracted the biggest crowds which is how they got the extra races (USA had THREE in 1982)but this seems no longer to be a concideration.
Hope they do get to race in Cape Town.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1115409)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Much as I would like to see a GP back in SA they have been promised this before, only to fall through as usual. The GP should have gone back to Kyalami some years ago but was thwarted by the decline in the Rand and the worries of high levels of violence. Not many know that the large part of Rothmans is a SA company hence the F1 tests a few years ago when Williams (then sponsored by Rothmans) BAR (sponsored by BAT) and Jordan Sponsored by B+H all attended.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 23:40 (Ref:1115452)   #9
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the rand is much stonger now than it was a few years ago. I have heard that Bernie has approved a site in Cape Town near the airport and that Tilke thinks he can make a good venue from it.
I'd love to see a GP in, say, Tunisia.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 01:43 (Ref:1115494)   #10
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
better yet, take both races away from germany.....neither track deserves its name anymore.....nobunkring and crapoheim are better suited to them nowadays.....
Old 5 Oct 2004, 03:22 (Ref:1115521)   #11
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey didn't minardi do s little f1 street display with there two-seaters this year in SA . they were sponsored by some bank. if this helps ,but it would good to see an SA Grand Prix. Any chance of tomas S.{jody's kid} getting a friday test seat?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1115797)   #12
keithsekree
Rookie

keithsekree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who feels that South Africa is ready for such an event is sadly mistaken. SA has the worlds highest crime figures in many categories and if you think racing is dangerous you should give walking/driving back from a South African race circuit a go. Check out http://www.sundayindependent.co.za/i...icleId=2238856 to see whats going on. I feel someone is trying to run before they can walk. ks
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1115826)   #13
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
France also already has its own GP - Monaco - so there is no need to worry about trying to squeeze a French GP back on to the calendar.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1115841)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If they are seriously thinking of land close to the airport, then they are going to build on the largest township in Cape Town!
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1115852)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure S Africa is in any condition to host a GP anytime soon.

It seems that they've sort of fallen out of the international community as far as hosting world class events go. I remember when S Africa was a world power in sports, and hosting big events, but since Aparthied has ended, they seem to be going through some big changes, and unless I've missed something, I cannot remember the last big event that country has hosted.

I guess the question is, at this time, are they ready to host a GP?

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1115857)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well arent they hosting the next but next world cup.

Or is that Africa?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1115858)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by tyrrellf1
France also already has its own GP - Monaco - so there is no need to worry about trying to squeeze a French GP back on to the calendar.
Well, not quite. Monaco is a sovereign principality, as HSH Prince Rainier would take pains to point out, and unlike the Monte Carlo Rally, the Monaco GP is run entirely within the principality.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1115861)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Easy solution. Move the European Grand Prix to South Africa. After all, South Africa is in the Europe region as far as the company I work for is concerned...
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1115862)   #19
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Well arent they hosting the next but next world cup.

Or is that Africa?
errr, no thats germany, sa is 2010
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1115867)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Next but next = 2010, surely?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1115876)   #21
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, sorry overlooked that :/
Old 5 Oct 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1115927)   #22
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Well, not quite. Monaco is a sovereign principality, as HSH Prince Rainier would take pains to point out, and unlike the Monte Carlo Rally, the Monaco GP is run entirely within the principality.
I know, my tongue was in my cheek. On the same basis, though, I don't see the FIA agreeing to a Rally Wales and a Rally England, do you?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1116015)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Not quite the same thing.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1116171)   #24
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Britain is held in Wales!
Old 5 Oct 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1116340)   #25
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Visit Monaco please. It aint France, far from it1