Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2002, 13:47 (Ref:328161)   #1
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monty does it again.

You have to admit, he is good aint he?
All we have to do now is sit back tomorrow and watch him go out of the race.........................again

Anyone see that banner that was bein' waved at the qualifs today?

It read: "Did Mansell or Hill need help to win the championship?"

Good point i thought

Also, why is it that certain drivers, F1 experts and even quite a few F1 fans, can't pronounce the name of the track corectly?

I mean what is SilverSTUN?

It's STONE, SilverSTONE. It's really very simple to say.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 14:20 (Ref:328186)   #2
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was, without a doubt, the best qualifying lap I've ever seen.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 14:34 (Ref:328192)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It was a terrific lap from JPM. What a driver he is turning out to be!!

But... best qualifying lap you've ever seen? First year watching F1?
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:01 (Ref:328198)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"Did Mansell or Hill need help to win the championship?"
A: Schumacher doesnt either.

B: On occasion, Patrese was ordered to move over as well.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:21 (Ref:328209)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm...let's see...98, hill needed 'help' to win a race...not a championship...how about 96?

Strangely, no matter how i add, subtract, multiply, divide, i still can't explain how the "help" to win the championship actually total up to the gap Michael opened up to his rivals in his recent 2.5 (0.5 for the 2002 season ) WDC... LOL. I guess those fans in Silverstone are really great mathematicians.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:25 (Ref:328212)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh..wait...before i forget.

WELL DONE JPM. 4 in a row is good stuff. Better luck and control in tomorrow's race! That flier was great! Keep it up, o'boy!

P.S Strange how nobody bothered to praise Michelin/BMW for a job well done in qualifying, but would stone Michelin?BMW to death if JPM/Ralf did poorly in the races...
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:27 (Ref:328213)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, you know what they say: to finish first you first have to finish!
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:33 (Ref:328220)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Hmm...let's see...98, hill needed 'help' to win a race...not a championship...how about 96?
In 1996 he let a rookie came very close
Old 6 Jul 2002, 17:00 (Ref:328266)   #9
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

P.S Strange how nobody bothered to praise Michelin/BMW for a job well done in qualifying, but would stone Michelin?BMW to death if JPM/Ralf did poorly in the races...
Excelent! MR. JPM, Squirell

Gt_R, but the michellins are performing OK for quals... the BMW is working better with the improvement from the Grove guys..
Old 6 Jul 2002, 20:07 (Ref:328309)   #10
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is very fast and earns another great pole postion.

Well done .

As for Mansell needing Patrese to move over to let him past in 92 , i think it only happened once that year and that was at Magny cours on a wet track and even then Mansell was a mile quicker than Ricardo anyway . Other races that year include Mansell qualifing nearly 2 seconds quicker than Patrese at Brazil and at Silverstone in the same equipment. So i dont really think Nigel had any help from Ricardo to win his championship . Although i do remember Nigel trying to give Ricardo a win at Suzuka later in the year .
Old 6 Jul 2002, 20:23 (Ref:328315)   #11
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Way to go to The Monster. Just hope he can finish now ! BTW, what reaction did Mad Micky the Schu get in Silverstone ? Just wondering ?
Old 6 Jul 2002, 20:25 (Ref:328318)   #12
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW, one of our marshals, Paul Keating is on post at Luffield - anyone sees him tell him all the gang at home say hello and Magnet On !!
Old 6 Jul 2002, 20:31 (Ref:328321)   #13
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Shinners
BTW, what reaction did Mad Micky the Schu get in Silverstone ? Just wondering ?
i would guess it will be a bit better than expected . I thought it was a good gesture on Friday when he gave a Marshall at bridge corner a pair of his racing gloves as a thank you , after the Marshall had let him sit for half a hour under his umbrella.

I thought that was a nice touch from Michael .
Old 6 Jul 2002, 20:39 (Ref:328325)   #14
Shinners
Racer

Well fair is fair and gotta hand it to him but it was a nice gesture, nice one Mick
Old 6 Jul 2002, 21:21 (Ref:328344)   #15
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
But... best qualifying lap you've ever seen? First year watching F1?
I've watched since '96 actually. That was the best qualifying lap I can think of though... 'course, I have a really bad memory
Old 6 Jul 2002, 21:48 (Ref:328354)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few can doubt the guy surly!? Although GT_R is still clutching at straws Montoya is proving himself time and again that in lacking machinery he can be quickest of all over a single lap. BTW, the machineary lets him down over a race distance thats why we can praise the driver for a stunning qualifying lap and linch the team when the car fails in the race.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 21:53 (Ref:328357)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great qualifying performance from the boy Juander. But he really needs to win now. Pole positions don't give you any points. Unfortunately, I think the two Ferraris will be stronger in race trim. Even more so if it's raining - the Bridgestones will probably be much better in the wet than their competitors.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 22:08 (Ref:328359)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari's will walk it tomorrow what ever the conditions, I just like to enjoy these fleeting moments of triumph as they come up!
Old 6 Jul 2002, 23:00 (Ref:328373)   #19
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monty's ability to pull out a quick one in the last minute reminds me very much of another driver who used to do that on a regular basis.

This one could come down to the performance of the Michelins tomorrow.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 23:09 (Ref:328375)   #20
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie

A: Schumacher doesnt either.

B: On occasion, Patrese was ordered to move over as well.
Well the times Patrese let Mansell past in 1992 were at Monza and Suzuka, that was after the title was won and it was Mansell who decided to let him past to have some glory for himself, apart from Magny Cours where Mansell was clearly alot faster, and wanted to avoid an accident on Renaults home race.
But it certainly wasn't help to the degree that TGF gets is it?
TGF got help from both Irvine and Barrichello, Herbert couldn't help because TGF never shared data with Johnny because TGF knew that Herbert would have been able to seriously put him under pressure.

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 6 Jul 2002 at 23:12.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 23:32 (Ref:328386)   #21
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, this was supposed to be a "lets praise Monty" thread.

I only put that thing in about the banner cos i found it funny.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 23:34 (Ref:328387)   #22
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok then, I was so shocked, it was the last thing I was expecting, but well done to Monty and lets hope he can convert pole into a win this time.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 01:09 (Ref:328423)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Quote damon:"Although GT_R is still clutching at straws Montoya is proving himself time and again that in lacking machinery he can be quickest of all over a single lap."

No...seriously, i'm impressed with that last lap which got JPM pole. I'm always impressed when it seems like someone got the pole stiched up...only for somebody else to pull an amazing lap and snatch it in the late seconds. And i don't doubt JPM's ability (but of course, my supporting of Michael too would to u seem too much to accept this simple fact), especially when he had done it 4 in a row.

What i'm trying to point out is that whenever Williams/JPM did well, it's all down to JPM. But when they did not do so well, the blame all rest on the technical package. We had seen reports from Michelin who admitted that they had gone too far in their pursuit to have a good qualifying tires, so i don't think it is too much to accept that Michelin had a significant contribution to let JPM do so well. Fair?

And if that's the case, we have to wonder, what if Williams/Michelin decide to produce a better race package at the expense of qualifying? Would the Williams duo still manage to fight so tightly for quals?

But also, we cannot ignore and deny JPM from praise. 4 in a row is really wonderful...and that we know that the driver does make a difference because if its purely down to the package, why did Ralf not get pole? So we know JPM is great on qualifyings too.

Now Damon, you have a problem with this?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 01:21 (Ref:328426)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very impressive pole position from JPM who is making a habit of stealing pole position in the last few minutes of a session. But he has to start converting these pole positions into victories. But it shows that he knows how to hook up a car for one banzai lap.....
Old 7 Jul 2002, 01:34 (Ref:328430)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

"But it shows that he knows how to hook up a car for one banzai lap....."

I'm just being cheeky, but according to interviews on how he got that pole, JPM admitted ": "I honestly don’t know...I don’t know where it came from but never mind!"