Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Jun 2015, 04:49 (Ref:3549660)   #6901
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post

Indeed, the Alpine news was the road (concept) car. And it is a pretty thing.
I really like that.

Now time for a GT3 and GTE variant!
Old 14 Jun 2015, 06:19 (Ref:3549768)   #6902
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Not going to happen. This car will probably fit within the wheelbase of the Ford GT. Could make a good GT4 though for the N24.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 06:57 (Ref:3549789)   #6903
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Not going to happen. This car will probably fit within the wheelbase of the Ford GT. Could make a good GT4 though for the N24.
I was thinking the same thing. Good GT4 size.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3551636)   #6904
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
In slightly sportscar-related news, the HPD ARX-04 will be making a return this year.

AT PIKES PEAK.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3551664)   #6905
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
In slightly sportscar-related news, the HPD ARX-04 will be making a return this year.

AT PIKES PEAK.
Not as cool as the minivan they took there!
Old 17 Jun 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3551668)   #6906
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Pity they didn't say anything about it coming back to sportscars though, I hope they haven't given up on it yet (although would understand if they had, with the ACO's stupidity).
Old 17 Jun 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3551692)   #6907
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with it, besides being a bit overweight? I thought it was pretty fast at Daytona. Weight shouldn't be a problem in TUSC since they have to add 40 kg to it anyway.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 23:57 (Ref:3551711)   #6908
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Aero doesn't work.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3551720)   #6909
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why why does Renault continue to play games with the F1 program. This is the perfect exit opportunity and straight to Le Mans.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 00:29 (Ref:3551722)   #6910
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Why why does Renault continue to play games with the F1 program. This is the perfect exit opportunity and straight to Le Mans.
Forgetting the alliance with Nissan? I don't see it happening now.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3551726)   #6911
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Renault wouldn't have to enter as Renault and throw in conflicting messages with Nissan, they could simply use Alpine. Bin the useless fake rebadging effort in LMP2 and hand Signatech (or their replacement) resources for LMP1 campaign. Even being "best of the rest" ie beating Rebellions and co would suffice for something more minor as Alpine
Old 18 Jun 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3551734)   #6912
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The Aero doesn't work.
What exactly? Not stable, too much over steer, under steer?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 12:57 (Ref:3552142)   #6913
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I wish Renault and Nissan could take a leaf out of the Audi and Porsche example. The competition between these two is what is driving this championship at the moment, and all credit to VW for seeing that and allowing it.

They've introduced an inter-brand respectful rivalry that is bringing in attention from that wider world that love a Hamilton v Rosberg-esque drama.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3552164)   #6914
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I know this is just talk - but according to Lotus an F1 car could win Le Mans:

http://www.thisisf1.com/2015/06/17/l...d-win-le-mans/
Old 19 Jun 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3552174)   #6915
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

I don't think so. F1 cars are barely faster than Le Mans prototypes. Also, the engines would need to last over 5000 km, which no F1 engine does at the moment. Even the Mercedes not. Also, I think LMP1 cars currently use less fuel than F1 cars, so if F1 would need to comply with the same fuel flow restrictions, it would slow them down even further.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 14:51 (Ref:3552177)   #6916
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

We've had DFVs and Matra V12s winning, admittedly in the dim and distant past, so engine-wise why not? I guess they might need some headlights on the chassis though. I can't help thinking it might be a bit more complicated than that though - sure there's the notional longevity in the engines and gearboxes but I suspect come nightfall the niggles would start to creep on in.

More interesting though that it's a topic for discussion at all. It's not that long ago that the attitude of Lewis Hamilton towards Le Mans was so prevalent that something like this simply wouldn't crop up.

So I'd say to 'Lotus', come and have a go. Bring your F1 engine, and your chassis expertise, and the reusable parts that will last 24 hours. Slap two seats and enclosed wheels onto it and run it as an LMP1. I think we'd probably welcome you.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 15:24 (Ref:3552184)   #6917
BTCC 318d
Rookie

BTCC 318d has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I, for one would LOVE to see an exhibition race as a warm up event.
Imagine it, a 2016 1/2 hour special - using 1 year old cars for all. Hulk and webber in this years spec 919, nakajima and buemi in the yotas, lotterer and di grassi in audis, and heidfeld in the rebellion - vs anyone who dares turn up from f1.
Only caveat is the f1 boys would have to run their tyre stops as per the lmp chaps. I think the race would be closer than you think!
Old 19 Jun 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3552185)   #6918
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even if the F1 components have to last longer nowadays, that doesn't mean they could endure the stress of constantly running for 24 hours (let alone 6 hours...) plus the lead up sessions for that. On top of enhanced engines, electronics, gearboxes, brakes, and so on, they would also require headlights and proper non-entertainment tires suited for multi stinting. Also more durable bodywork, even the slightest of contacts with traffic would break their day way more easily than of opposition.

I know it's only half serious what's he's suggesting anyway, and the organizers are never going to agree with anything here, but FIA should organize shared exhibition race for voluntary F1, LMP1 and GT500 cars. In December so out of harms way, and in neutral circuit without much recent telemetry. Like Estoril or something.

Btw I made this thread few years ago
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19...gp2-p1-and-p2/

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Jun 2015 at 15:34.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 16:24 (Ref:3552198)   #6919
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Even if the F1 components have to last longer nowadays, that doesn't mean they could endure the stress of constantly running for 24 hours (let alone 6 hours...) plus the lead up sessions for that. On top of enhanced engines, electronics, gearboxes, brakes, and so on, they would also require headlights and proper non-entertainment tires suited for multi stinting. Also more durable bodywork, even the slightest of contacts with traffic would break their day way more easily than of opposition.

I know it's only half serious what's he's suggesting anyway, and the organizers are never going to agree with anything here, but FIA should organize shared exhibition race for voluntary F1, LMP1 and GT500 cars. In December so out of harms way, and in neutral circuit without much recent telemetry. Like Estoril or something.

Btw I made this thread few years ago
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19...gp2-p1-and-p2/
It's a hallmark of a series on the up when people start suggesting a head to head race with it and F1, and sadly, charismatic as they sound, they almost never happen (Race of Two Worlds on the old Monza banking between F1 and really old school IndyCars is the last one I can think of), but it is a lovely idea isn't it?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 17:14 (Ref:3552209)   #6920
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The last thing I want to see at Le Mans is an F1 car......
Old 19 Jun 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3552225)   #6921
Deleted
Veteran

Don't worry it will never ever happen.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 22:20 (Ref:3552277)   #6922
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The last thing I want to see at Le Mans is an F1 car......
I know exactly what you say, but in an attempt to wean myself into the long period where realistically I'm not going to be looking at sportscar racing I've stuck Keyser's "Speed Merchants" on, where the commonality around 3 litre engines made them essentially F1 cars with two seats - albeit a lot easier in the era of spaceframe chassis - and it made for something wonderful.

Going back to my 2c on the issue, if an F1 team, let's call them Toleman, feel like they've got a package that could win Le Mans, build it so it's compliant with LMP1 rules, show up in June, and prove it, and if they can do it with F1 components then chapeau to them.

Gratifyingly I think the WEC and Le Mans are in one of those periods when they can cheerfully appropriate Audi's hashtag and say fine - bring what you think you can win with along and we'll see what happens.

Happily #welcomechallenges
Old 19 Jun 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3552292)   #6923
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
These pointless, naive and extremely hypothetical comparisons or race scenarios pop up on forums all the time, but to see an engineer talk about it... amazing, I guess.

I can only hope it was some annoying journo milking for an answer.

Last edited by deggis; 19 Jun 2015 at 23:56.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3552968)   #6924
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apologies if this has already been picked up and reported previously, but this was news to me....

According to Daily Sportscar, it seems there is a strong link between the proposed SARD 2016 LMP1 programme and Greaves Motorsport exploring the possibility of a 2016 LMP1 programme:

DSC Link
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:55 (Ref:3552969)   #6925
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Respected F1 correspondent Kevin Eason thinks that, given formula one’s current problems, Chester’s idea could be an ideal opportunity for the sport.

“Instead of a driver (Hulkenberg) getting a day off to compete at Le Mans, give a team the funds and the time to develop a formula one car to compete at Le Mans,” he wrote in the Times.

“Prove that F1 is still the greatest of them all.”
Sounds more like they're a bit upset that someone could consider Le Mans more fun than F1. This talk is more of a status thing than a technical thing. "Don't look at that fantastic shiny product! Look at ours! It's still the best! Honest! We can do that too, we just choose not to!"