Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Apr 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3059842)   #76
ClarkyPics
Rookie

ClarkyPics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re : HVRA Snett - A few pics

Hi Al ,

Snapped the all important yellow Cam , and a few others!!
Didn't come down today... Hope you and Cliff enjoyed the day...

What a spectacle you all are coming down Revett

I imagine you will be back up for the 5th / 6th May?

All the Best

Matt
http://flickr.com/photos/clarkypics/ - Just click on HVRA - New
Old 15 Apr 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3059889)   #77
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Loved the V8s today. Don't know what struck the MG, but it made for a cracking race for a while, between the green Aston, the silver Corvette and the Orange Camaro. Unfortunately the pit stops ended that, but that's all I'm going to say about that. Well done to all for dealing with "very changable conditions ( dry, wet, hail, dry, wet.....etc). I was flagging on the Outside of Brundle, just before Nelson, formely known as The Esses.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3059901)   #78
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Lancsbreaker;3058943]Hmmmm....interesting - looking at the qualy times, one MGB GT V8 2nd, on 2.09.224, with the other MGB GT V8 in 26th on 2.30.590 (though he didn't have a working transponder)

Actually my transponder worked fine. Had a great weekend and a good bash round in the 40 minute race. Finally having to back off (a bit further) due to fuel, ie lack of. A real nice bunch of chaps, Bernie did a great job of this event. Eventually was only Rover engined car left in the 40 minute race, circulating steadily no doubt but returned home in one peice and without a big bill and therefore the wife should let me go out to play again!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3059904)   #79
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Loved the V8s today. Don't know what struck the MG, but it made for a cracking race for a while, between the green Aston, the silver Corvette and the Orange Camaro. Unfortunately the pit stops ended that, but that's all I'm going to say about that. Well done to all for dealing with "very changable conditions ( dry, wet, hail, dry, wet.....etc). I was flagging on the Outside of Brundle, just before Nelson, formely known as The Esses.
I believe a problem with the oil cooler on the red MG. A real shame as John was next to us in the paddock and he and his friends worked really hard on the car all weekend.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3060023)   #80
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
OIL COOLERS, WHO NEEDS THEM!!!! IMHO the most troublesome piece of kit on a race car, if they are not splitting and spilling their guts all over the track they are causing oil surge problems then you see people blanking them off whats that all about!!! With modern synthetics and runningt he water temps cooler I have dispensed with mine after a catalogue of expensive problems, dont see many fitted on normally aspirated road cars do you, running a turbo yes but a lazy V8 questionable.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3060056)   #81
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Cliff Ryan wrestles with the beast in adverse conditions. (Picture by Cledous with thanks).
Attached Thumbnails
cliff in camaro.jpg  
Old 16 Apr 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3060072)   #82
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Cliff Ryan wrestles with the beast in adverse conditions. (Picture by Cledous with thanks).
I enjoyed everything about the race, from the Patrol Car leading the pack off the grid to the late braking into Montreal. From a photographers point of view the large white name boards around the track are a bit of a pain, but I guess it helps the drivers with poor memories. I am putting up a report and comprehensive gallery later today. Favourite car? The Stingray.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3060094)   #83
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Pity you are not closer to me John (although at the moment I am in Spain)
however I will be at Snett on the 5th of next month and I will have a brilliant camera repairer/technician with me who would probably do it at the track for you !
Gordon, may well take you up on that.

In the meantime, a few shots from Saturday morning practice/qualifying. I think that my favourite was also the orange Stingray (111 - not shown here but got it somewhere):-
Attached Thumbnails
CSCCSnet14pril2012 020wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 026wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 038wb.jpg  

CSCCSnet14pril2012 048wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 072wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 106wb.jpg  

Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3060137)   #84
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ops lock up moment from me at Coram and yes that is tyre smoke not engine oil!!! I think I had been running the tyre ressures way too hard and also discovered my tyre guage is overeading by 4psi! I let them off after a chat with Rikki the Aston man it it seemed a lot better both under breaking and cornering, getting there slowly!

BTW the chap with the black TR7, does anyone no what happened to him on the way home as I saw him parked up with the windscreen completely caved in on the racer which was still sitting on the trailer, not sure if it had slipped forward and hit something. Mind you that was nothing compared to what happened a few further miles down the road near Royston where I witnessed a four car pile up right in front of me with cars and debris spinning all over the road, I had to pick my was through the carnage, I thought I was back on the track for a moment! Actually it wasnt that TR7 bit one that arrived there on the Sunday with big wide arches.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 16 Apr 2012 at 11:32.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3060241)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

That black TR7 pictured above, is in fact a TVR.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3060300)   #86
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A selection of my pics from Saturday on the 300 circuit, the other races too. They can be viewed by anyone with this link, Facebook password not required.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=4ce420848b
Old 16 Apr 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3060419)   #87
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
A selection of my pics from Saturday on the 300 circuit, the other races too. They can be viewed by anyone with this link, Facebook password not required.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=4ce420848b
Hi Andrew

Thanks those are terrific. My car is the white and pink MGB V8 number 82 in Bernie's V8 Challenge. You have really captured the meeting with those. Liked the "Gentlemen Start your Engines" photo! Also the Grid assembling, I missed that being sat in the MG, which looks bizarre in the middle of all that heavy metal!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3060426)   #88
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Andrew.

A really great effort from all involved. The Snetterton season is only a month old, yet one of the best events from the season has already happened! I have a couple of other shots of your car, if you'd like a higher res one, drop me an email: info@andrewkitson.com
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3060433)   #89
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a fantastic weekend and pretty pleased with the results considering the grid.
I was lucky I was in the first pack for the 20min opener on Saturday but was surprised the quicker cars took as long to catch up (until I was told after the race how far behind they were!). Had a great dice with a Falcon which despite being in AppK trim easily had the legs of me everywhere!!! He finally reeled me in and got by so I tried an 'adventurous' move on the outside of Coram into the Esses. Alas the marbles got me and I speared across the grass cutting the corner. Not wanting to gain advantage I had a quick spin and entertained the spectators with a smoky donut - sorry Mr Scannell Couldn't catch the Falcon again so finished 8th o/a.

I was near the back of the grid for race 2 after a lax qually attempt but made up places straight away with a few moves and cars dropping out. Another good battle with the Falcon (he was in front off the start), managed to out fox him past the pits and pulled the move off into the first corner. Then the rain and hail came!! Despite slithering about all over the place I pulled a decent gap on the Falcon until the wet stopped and the track started drying. We both pitted at the same time but we fumbled the belts and the Falcon gained a few seconds on exit. Chasing hard for a few laps on the unpredictable surface I eventually went way off at the first corner (Riches?) once I saw the signs welcoming me to Suffolk I decided to regain the track much to the amusement of the marshals Plodded on and somehow finished 6th o/a and 2nd in class.

Great weekend, many thanks to the CSCC, all the organisers, marshals, the other V8 guys and of course Bernie
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3060441)   #90
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Good selection as usual Andrew. Thanks for posting them up.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3060442)   #91
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Al,

That black TR7 pictured above, is in fact a TVR.
Your right Pete, however the TR7 was so modded I had to take a double take to even recognise what it was! It may have even been a TVR as well lol!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3060453)   #92
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by modes View Post
I believe a problem with the oil cooler on the red MG. A real shame as John was next to us in the paddock and he and his friends worked really hard on the car all weekend.

A few images from the race and there is a report at www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Snetterton Spring Meeting 291.jpg   Snetterton Spring Meeting 286.jpg   Snetterton Spring Meeting 250.jpg  

The Good Old Boys wait for the green light.jpg  

Last edited by retrognome; 16 Apr 2012 at 19:57.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3060459)   #93
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
jamesjtucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I have uploaded my onboard video of race 1 (complete) from Mike Haig's Marcos GT, with me driving it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqqEg7owKs
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3060465)   #94
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjtucker View Post
Hi
I have uploaded my onboard video of race 1 (complete) from Mike Haig's Marcos GT, with me driving it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqqEg7owKs
Fantastic and well done.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3060467)   #95
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James, welcome to Tenths

Shame you didn't make the Sunday race, what happened?

Will watch your vid later, just sorting mine.

Wayne
(from just down the road )
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3060471)   #96
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
Car developed a small oil leak in qualifying and when we tried to fix it we managed to make it into a big oil leak. We had problems with it on the test but had patched it up as best as we could, but unfortunately it couldn't hold out an extra 40 mins or so.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3060477)   #97
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from the weekend from me as well...
The 'modes' MGB, James Tucker's Marcos, The orange Corvette as mentioned by John Turner, The MGB GT lifts a wheel exiting Murray's, Moosehead's donut and the TR7 V8 mentioned by Al (with evidence of tyre smoke from a yellow Camaro in the background!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	36660 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	36661Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	36662 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	36663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	36664 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	36665
Old 16 Apr 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3060515)   #98
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
James, if you look near the end of my facebook album, link above, there is a pic of Jacobs merc at oggies. In the background you can just see the start of your spin at agostini after passing gregs falcon.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3060534)   #99
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
Eagle eyes there Andrew
Smoking the tyres like I'm on the short ovals!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3060736)   #100
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
First 10 minutes (Part 1) of the 40 minute race from Ol' Bumble with Cliff Ryan at the helm. Other parts follow later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnXCB_itm0