Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2930371)   #376
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think you would be surprised at how cost effective the V8ST package will be.

Spotted KC at the NZV8 stand on Sat, gave him a nod but he hurriedly looked the other way like he always used to
Old 24 Jul 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2930383)   #377
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The thing I don't get about V8 ST is why they didn't also source a Ford crate engine because I'm having a hard time seeing a Ford Falcon FG with a GM bred motor in it.
GM crate engine despite a Ford or Dodge body, isn't that a common thing in late model racing?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2930385)   #378
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is... Is there a Ford based engine for around he same price that has the same power and torque characteristics with the same reliablilty?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2930475)   #379
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
The thing is... Is there a Ford based engine for around he same price that has the same power and torque characteristics with the same reliablilty?
You can get a sealed new Ford Boss 351 racing engine direct from Ford Racing USA for $11,000 US$. 540HP.

I'm sure there are other options out there as well, so I just don't buy that there isn't ANY Ford options out there and it is just something totally impossible.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2930476)   #380
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
GM crate engine despite a Ford or Dodge body, isn't that a common thing in late model racing?
Have no idea as I don't follow late model racing closely at all. However I can ask a friend of mine in that runs a whole fleet of them for customers in the deep south USA.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2930528)   #381
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I've been told that the reason they went for the unit they did was because they had looked long and hard at various engine packages but in the end they went with "the very best engine they could buy on a bang for buck basis and only Chev made an off the shelf dry sumped engine."

So there's your reason
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2930540)   #382
FraserGT
Rookie

FraserGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where does this supposed reliability of the GM product come from? The engine in the ST is not the LS7.R - it is a stock standard road going LS7 with a few modifications.

Don't get me wrong, the LS7 is still a bloody nice engine - but it is not the same as what has run in the factory Corvettes at Le Mans and other endurance races.

The LS7.R runs through a pair of air restrictors which limit the engines ability to rev, hence the engine is designed to now run up to about 5800rpm (might even be lower now).
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2930546)   #383
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You can get a sealed new Ford Boss 351 racing engine direct from Ford Racing USA for $11,000 US$. 540HP.
That would have different mass and performance characteristics to the ls7.

Quote:
I'm sure there are other options out there as well, so I just don't buy that there isn't ANY Ford options out there and it is just something totally impossible.
How can you be sure?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2930553)   #384
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I just gave you the reason 3 posts ago...

Old 25 Jul 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2930677)   #385
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
That would have different mass and performance characteristics to the ls7.

How can you be sure?
Dunno, bazillions of other championships out there in the world have run GM and Ford engines going back to the stone ages with no real issues other than the standard rivalry.

The 351 might not be the same size, but my point is there are or were other options out there.

But they can do what they want.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2930681)   #386
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Dunno, bazillions of other championships out there in the world have run GM and Ford engines going back to the stone ages with no real issues other than the standard rivalry.

The 351 might not be the same size, but my point is there are or were other options out there.

Read my post from earlier today - that was the reason.

They wanted the best bang for the buck engine and GM were the only off the shelf dry sump unit. What else do you want for a reason?
Old 25 Jul 2011, 02:06 (Ref:2930684)   #387
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

agree!
Old 25 Jul 2011, 02:50 (Ref:2930688)   #388
FraserGT
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post

They wanted the best bang for the buck engine and GM were the only off the shelf dry sump unit. What else do you want for a reason?
There are dry sump systems and dry sump systems. The dry sump on the LS7 is there partly to drop the engine centre of gravity so it will fit under the bonnet line of the Corvette.

The Corvette race cars do not run the same dry sump system as the road cars.

Katech, who used to run the factory GM engine programme, have a couple of dry sump kits for the LS7 "for vehicles that exceed the cornering capability of the factory Z06 such as cars with coil-overs and slicks".

We used one of their dynos last year and the stuff they do to LS series road and race engines is impressive.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:02 (Ref:2930692)   #389
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserGT View Post
There are dry sump systems and dry sump systems. The dry sump on the LS7 is there partly to drop the engine centre of gravity so it will fit under the bonnet line of the Corvette.

The Corvette race cars do not run the same dry sump system as the road cars.

Katech, who used to run the factory GM engine programme, have a couple of dry sump kits for the LS7 "for vehicles that exceed the cornering capability of the factory Z06 such as cars with coil-overs and slicks".

We used one of their dynos last year and the stuff they do to LS series road and race engines is impressive.
I guess that cost must have been the overriding issue there.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 04:26 (Ref:2930702)   #390
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

What else do I want? I want a Ford engine.

I thought Ford V8's had been in racing since 1930, but I guess I was wrong.

Like I said they can do what they want. I'm just a driver, not a political public relations mechanical engineer series organizer.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2930708)   #391
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
What else do I want? I want a Ford engine.

I thought Ford V8's had been in racing since 1930, but I guess I was wrong.

Like I said they can do what they want. I'm just a driver, not a political public relations mechanical engineer series organizer.
Ha ha, very good

Here's another reason - you've seen the disparity between the Fords and Holdens in the NZV8's for the past 5 years - they still have not sorted that by a long way, but I guess doing it this way it's not an issue and you get super close racing right out of the box. It's just the way your team sets your car up and your abilities as a driver that make the difference.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 05:12 (Ref:2930709)   #392
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
is that the best you could come up with?

next they'll be using the same body to keep the cars even lol just paint the Holdens red, the Fords blue and the Kias green
Old 25 Jul 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2930720)   #393
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

next they'll be using the same body to keep the cars even lol just paint the Holdens red, the Fords blue and the Kias green
Isn't that what they are doing anyway? You'll probably find that apart from different wings and bumpers the cars are the same anyway.
Makes it easy for parity.

They'll still be referred to as a holden of a ford,
when in fact they are neither. Grouind built cars that are not made from a Holden Or a Ford Bodyshell, Engine from one brand, diff from another,
once they are racing on the track the only thing that matter is the sticker on the grill really to the average person.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 06:22 (Ref:2930721)   #394
FraserGT
Rookie

Quote:

If the Holdens are red, what colour would the Toyotas be?
Old 25 Jul 2011, 06:45 (Ref:2930725)   #395
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Isn't that what they are doing anyway? You'll probably find that apart from different wings and bumpers the cars are the same anyway.
Makes it easy for parity.

They'll still be referred to as a holden of a ford,
when in fact they are neither. Grouind built cars that are not made from a Holden Or a Ford Bodyshell, Engine from one brand, diff from another,
once they are racing on the track the only thing that matter is the sticker on the grill really to the average person.
Exactly!!
Old 25 Jul 2011, 07:18 (Ref:2930731)   #396
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserGT View Post
If the Holdens are red, what colour would the Toyotas be?
Toyota white
Old 25 Jul 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2930734)   #397
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Exactly!!
strange that you don't share the same view when it comes to a NZV8
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2930779)   #398
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How the worm can turn! I have been a big fan of this whole SuperTourer concept from the start, but the more I hear and see, the less I think there is to like. I have just seen photos on their Facebook page and I couldn't help feeling it just didn't sit right with me. I respect the senior drivers confirmed for the series so far on merit, but there they were lined up with some other 'drivers' signing posters for a series that has one prototype, has not run a race yet and in the minds of some perhaps, might not even pull that off. Something about all that says 'wrong'.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2930794)   #399
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
strange that you don't share the same view when it comes to a NZV8
But I do! The parity issue is the one that needed sorting big time, and this solves that. The other issue is that the NZV8's were looking decidedly geriatric, and this solves that too - so not sure what you mean?

There was some close racing in the NZV8s - if you drove a Ford...
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2930798)   #400
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
How the worm can turn! I have been a big fan of this whole SuperTourer concept from the start, but the more I hear and see, the less I think there is to like. I have just seen photos on their Facebook page and I couldn't help feeling it just didn't sit right with me. I respect the senior drivers confirmed for the series so far on merit, but there they were lined up with some other 'drivers' signing posters for a series that has one prototype, has not run a race yet and in the minds of some perhaps, might not even pull that off. Something about all that says 'wrong'.
I've stayed out of here coz I really have no desire to get involved in all this yucky arguing but OTI I really can't grasp what you're saying?? You now don't like the Tourers because they had some younger drivers signing posters alongside the 'Names' on their stand?? That's just weird dude!
Closed Thread