Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jul 2011, 04:18 (Ref:2931613)   #426
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fan View Post
Motorsport NZ is the major shareholder in TMC, the full shareholding list from the Companies Site is below, but most of the circuits (via the clubs that own them) have a shareholding also.
THE MOTORSPORT COMPANY LIMITED

Total Number of Shares:150000 Extensive Shareholding:No
Shareholders in Allocation:

90000 shares
MOTORSPORT NEW ZEALAND INCORPORATED
11250 shares
SOUTHLAND SPORTS CAR CLUB INCORPORATED
11250 shares
SOUTH CANTERBURY CAR CLUB INCORPORATED
11250 shares
THE CANTERBURY CAR CLUB INCORPORATED
11250 shares
THE MANAWATU CAR CLUB (INCORPORATED)
7500 shares
TAUPO CAR CLUB INCORPORATED
7500 shares
NZ INTERNATIONAL GRAND PRIX (AUCK) INC

As I remember it, TMC was set up at a time when getting someone to promote the Summer Series was a problem and so I think it was setup with good intentions.

It has been suggested by others that MSNZ being the regulator and (effectively) the promoter is a conflict of interest. But it also could be argued that they will (or at least should) have the sports best interest in mind.

You do not seem to see (or at least I haven't) the same sort of conflict going on with the equivalent Rally Promotions company (Rally of New Zealand Limited) who are now running both the International Rally and the National Rally series. If this is the case can we learn something from this side of the sport.
from my recollection TMC was put together by Rob Lester and Ian Gamble of Manfeild and wellington streetrace fame when the promotors of the Peter jackson series 'Global sports and promotions' tipped over a few weeks out from season start and something needed to be done quickly to hold it all together.
was supposed to be a 'stop gap' but is still going.
I seem to remember in the early days it also looked after rallying,and if one form of the sport was struggling the other would prop it up.
back then they also anounced a 'TEMPORARY' halt to prizemoney until the books were back in order.-----still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 Jul 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2931633)   #427
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
The bit I don't get then is how one lot can contest the other lot over IP when a 3rd party built the car, and probably provided some design elements/guidance as well as part of that process.

There's a number of interesting other questions too, such as which of the parties at war left Speedshow first, and who actually owns race car car IP, along with specualtion Ford will only let a Ford run with a Ford engine? Oh boy, oh boy!!
That intrigues me too JDI - Paul Ceprnich is a smart guy who has been around long enough to know how to set up a design / manufacturing arrangement. The only way I see Cepi NOT claiming and having the right to the IP on his own design is if someone paid him suitably.

If that is what has happened, then someone is out a fair chunk of dough that they've paid to Cepi and so the likelihood is that they'll want to fight to protect their investment. If Cepi hasn't been paid, then I'd think he would have first dibs on IP for the V8ST.

Can't help feeling that unless heads are banged together, she's gonna be a big mess and all in a country with a proud racing history but a small population where you'd have to doubt the viability of two series. Had a similar thing here in Oz in the late 90's with Supertourers and V8's but of course they were very different cars - even so, in a market five times bigger than NZ, there simply wasn't the base for two such series to work. When the cars look and sound virtually identical and in such a small market as NZ, can't see it working at all for two series.

Bloody shame for all involved - plenty of pain to come most likely.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2931642)   #428
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't the V8ST a new V8 Supercar car of tomorrow(whatever they call it) with some costs cut in different areas to bring the price down? That was my understanding.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2931667)   #429
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Isn't the V8ST a new V8 Supercar car of tomorrow(whatever they call it) with some costs cut in different areas to bring the price down? That was my understanding.
It pretty much looks like that. It may even be based on the original V8Supercar plan before they got into transaxles and moving fuel tanks forward etc.

Don't know if that is the case but it certainly has that look to it.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2932077)   #430
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
That's a very good point, isn't it? I don't know if there is unhappiness with RNZ from the drivers (Smokin' Joe may know?) but I haven't heard of any.

Maybe it all comes down to personalities...

I think TEEGA became VEEGA after a sort of bust-up between the teams and TMC, but I don't know the intricacies of what went down. VEEGA are still tied contractually to TMC is my understanding, how exactly I don't know.
those competing for the NZRC title run an FIA (hic), car, so is built to an international formula with strict guidelines, so parity is created by rules and balls, cos until you get to the end of a stage, you don't know if your fast enough over the distance.

circuit racing is ruled by talent (if you good enough) budget, or cheating. you know how you rate against the opposition during testing, practice , qualifying etc so you know which direction will get you up near the front!!

unsure about happiness with RNZ, we have bigger issues with having a club that has recent NZRC an Hillclimb champions , that barely runs gravels events anymore
Old 5 Aug 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2936321)   #431
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8ST have locked in a broadcast deal with TV3, another great step forward:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/v8supe...42857032466380
Old 6 Aug 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2936386)   #432
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
V8ST have locked in a broadcast deal with TV3, another great step forward:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/v8supe...42857032466380
Excellent, I had heard this was the case so really great news!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2936681)   #433
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Excellent, I had heard this was the case so really great news!
But don't hold your breath 'cos they are broke!

From the Herald today - "Pay TV network Sky has emerged as a contender to buy cash-strapped rival TV3, as the Australian owners look for a way out of the channel's crippling $560 million debt."
Old 7 Aug 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2936786)   #434
Biggy G
Veteran

J Mac just appeared on Gillette Motorsport where they chatted about the TV coverage, and he also mentioned we will get to see the Ford for the first time this week.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2936818)   #435
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
But don't hold your breath 'cos they are broke!

From the Herald today - "Pay TV network Sky has emerged as a contender to buy cash-strapped rival TV3, as the Australian owners look for a way out of the channel's crippling $560 million debt."
Well don't forget that TV3 also carry the BNT V8's so if TV3 went, so would coverage for both series not to mention several others including the V8 Supercars...
Old 7 Aug 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2936975)   #436
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well don't forget that TV3 also carry the BNT V8's so if TV3 went, so would coverage for both series not to mention several others including the V8 Supercars...
This is an article about TV3 possibly being bought....not disappearing, the thing holding TV3 back and the reason the current owners would be looking at offloading it is the crippling debt that was dumped on it by those same owners as part of yet another ludicrously leveraged private equity buy out. I would say TV3 actually generates very good revenue and in the hands of another (more senisble) owner, without having to service debt way beyond its means, it could be a very profitable proposition.

Let's not also lose sight of the fact that this article was written by the Herald's GOSSIP columnist??... whilst it is logical that TV3 would be for sale to the right buyer Ms Glucina hardly plys her trade by dealing in hard facts so I would wait for comment from a more credible source

Back to racing though and I think it's great to see what looks to be an excellent TV package announced for the Supertourers
Old 7 Aug 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2936982)   #437
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
This is an article about TV3 possibly being bought....not disappearing, the thing holding TV3 back and the reason the current owners would be looking at offloading it is the crippling debt that was dumped on it by those same owners as part of yet another ludicrously leveraged private equity buy out. I would say TV3 actually generates very good revenue and in the hands of another (more senisble) owner, without having to service debt way beyond its means, it could be a very profitable proposition.

Let's not also lose sight of the fact that this article was written by the Herald's GOSSIP columnist??... whilst it is logical that TV3 would be for sale to the right buyer Ms Glucina hardly plys her trade by dealing in hard facts so I would wait for comment from a more credible source

Back to racing though and I think it's great to see what looks to be an excellent TV package announced for the Supertourers
Yes, exactly, well said. I was responding to OTI's veiled assertion that it would never go to air...
Old 9 Aug 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2937529)   #438
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Ms Glucina hardly plys her trade by dealing in hard facts so I would wait for comment from a more credible source
she's known to cut and paste comments/photos from online forums, facebook and twitter talk about a credible source!
Old 9 Aug 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2937533)   #439
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
she's known to cut and paste comments/photos from online forums, facebook and twitter talk about a credible source!
Come on, EVERYTHING written online is pure fact!.....

Maybe she went to the same journalism school as Kate Lynch
Old 9 Aug 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2937552)   #440
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

And the first Ford chassis arrives in NZ...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Aug 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2937556)   #441
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

The other side...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Aug 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2937585)   #442
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
what no engine/wheels/anything? i thought it's meant to be a race car *tongue in cheek* it doesn't even look finished!
Old 9 Aug 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2937588)   #443
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Come on, EVERYTHING written online is pure fact!.....

Maybe she went to the same journalism school as Kate Lynch
Glucina..journalism school? yeah right!
Old 9 Aug 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2937590)   #444
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Mac said on TV the other day, 8 weeks to build the Fords then 8 weeks to buld the Holdens,

So who's going to be last and get given a bare shell like that for a Xmas present just over a month out from the first race????
Old 9 Aug 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2937770)   #445
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
no doubt the people "in charge" will be looked after first
Old 9 Aug 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2937778)   #446
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
no doubt the people "in charge" will be looked after first
No doubt the people "who've paid" will be looked after, in order of who paid when
Old 9 Aug 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2937783)   #447
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
No doubt the people "who've paid" will be looked after, in order of who paid when
That would make sense but somehow I'm doubting that the first 6 or 8 paid up people all happened to order Ford bodies cars?
The bigger determining factor will be the timing of when everyone gets all the other pieces to actually build the cars - when do the engines, gearboxes, suspension, flux capacitors and double overhead titanium grease nipples arrive. One would presume this stuff is all ordered to arrive together so what's the timeline on that?

Chassis looks good though
Old 10 Aug 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2937923)   #448
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
GM makes flux capacitors?
Old 10 Aug 2011, 03:34 (Ref:2937926)   #449
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
GM makes flux capacitors?
No, New Old Stock recently uncovered at the old DeLorean factory.

Problem is, by my caluclations the Supertourer will still be 1.166 gigawatts short on grunt to power it

Anyone feel free to chime in at any time with a serious topic to change the direction of this thread................
Old 10 Aug 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2937931)   #450
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No, New Old Stock recently uncovered at the old DeLorean factory.

Problem is, by my caluclations the Supertourer will still be 1.166 gigawatts short on grunt to power it

Anyone feel free to chime in at any time with a serious topic to change the direction of this thread................
DeLorean lives on in Houston, Texas, remanufacturing cars and in some cases has a 200 year supply of parts.

Maybe they can stretch a DeLorean over one of these chassis.