Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: How fast?
I don't see the difference between the racetrack and the streets!! (super fast) 7 24.14%
Ah.....just above the average. (fast) 18 62.07%
Average (normal) 3 10.34%
I'm not really in a hurry. (a bit slow) 1 3.45%
Those youngsters nowadays....always in a hurry!! (grandma) 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Jul 2001, 16:27 (Ref:122648)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How fast do you drive?

This is not a question about raw speed. I mean, if you go at 150kmph down the autoban you'll probably have everyone laughing at you while they pass you by and going at 60kmph trough a twisty road will probably get you killed.

It's about how fast you drive compared with the rest of the people. Do you overtake all the time? or are you overtaken all the time? Do your passangers cling into the seats and have ever been close to a heart attack?? Or perhaps they cry in desperation because at that speed they will never arrive on time??

Personally, I drive very fast when compared to the rest but I'm not a lunatic behind the wheel. I don't zig zag through traffic or drive at lighning speed trough urban streets. But I do drive considerably faster than the average driver.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 12:45 (Ref:122976)   #2
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er, Ditto.

I'm not into dangerous driving (quiet those whose know me...) but I don't appreciate people driving like a bunch of old women. Drive slow if you want, I don't care, but don't get in the way, and do use your mirrors to see the 14 mile tailback you and your caravan are causing.

*gets off soapbox*

OK, I spend a fair bit of time passing people, but I'm not one of these people you see doing 100+ mph, surgically attached to the outside lane on the M5. Discretion is the better part of stuffing the car and myself in a tree
Old 31 Jul 2001, 16:01 (Ref:124385)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go as fast as I can get away with during my driving lessons...
Old 31 Jul 2001, 20:00 (Ref:124448)   #4
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
I go as fast as I can get away with during my driving lessons...
Ha ha ha. I remember that my driving teacher was a real animal. During one of my final lessons I was driving and ariving from a town a few miles from here. As we arived at the city you were supposed to drive at no more than 80kmph (50mph) but just as I started slowing down he went "what the hell are you doing?!?!?!? keep accelerating!!". So there I was doing 135kmph (85mph) in a Suzuki Sprint (which wasn't exactly the car with such super brakes and superior handling that invited you to keep on pushing) while zig zaging through traffic like I've never been able to do ever again thanks to the assistance of my dear teacher. I recall I didn't even look at the mirrors. He just said "left now!!", I prayed a little prayer and swerved to the left and thanked god afterwards. BTW, he was fired a month later because he made the students nervous.

Well.....what the poll shows so far is that the "10 tenths" average is not the population average.....I wonder if it's some kind of motorsport fan syndrome
Old 31 Jul 2001, 21:46 (Ref:124486)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, who wants to be average?

After years of suffering comments from others about my speed, suggestions from the unknowing that I drive dangerously, decades of watching as they had crashes and could never explain them, I think I have to say that I pass far more than those that pass me.

But the high level of policing has brought me to heel. Anywhere there might be a speed camera, a hidden police car, that sort of impediment to modern progress, I am sticking to a very limited number of kmhs over the stupid limit... a limit which generally didn't exist at all the first decade or so of my driving life.

So as cars have improved, and their equipment has got better and better, I'm forced to slow down most of the time. Mind you, there's the odd pet road where I still get to drive the way I'd like to all the time... very fast!
Old 1 Aug 2001, 08:33 (Ref:124635)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i drive as fast as i can DEPENDING ON THE ROAD CONDITIONS. you will not catch me doing 100mph when there are other cars around. because at that speed, my car needs either a parachute, or a 747 length runway to stop.
on a clear motorway, i will go as fast as i can, because you can't go fast on country roads (pheasents, foxes, deer, cyclists, tractors..).

i always try to obey 30 limits in villages. they're there for a reason.

there are two people who are terrified of my driving. one is a cyclist, and thinks he knows how to drive. pass your test first, mate. second is my gran. she was stamping on her brake pedal all the way up to yorkshire from my house
i think she forgot to convert the speedo into miles an hour from kilometres....
Old 1 Aug 2001, 11:15 (Ref:124678)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say I drive fast up to the speed limit (and occassionally over it, unless you are the police in which case never of it).

What I don't like are people who cannot accelerate out of corners. It's amazing how often I've accelerated slowly out of a corner and still had to hit the brakes so not to hit the car infront.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 21:26 (Ref:124934)   #8
F1Babe
Rookie

F1Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatly, my car won't let me go very fast, infact she only just goes!

I have to admit though that i'm not a very good driver

Old 2 Aug 2001, 18:05 (Ref:125302)   #9
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as I learnt to drive on a race track, and have spent a majority of my driving life on a race track, I normally don't see the need to race around on the roads.

However I have been prone to have a go when some cocky ******* starts sitting right on my arse with high beams on.

I sorted one bloke out the other night. He tried that ****, and I found myself in a 160kmph race at 4am through the back roads in a farming district.

I was in a 12A Series 2 Mazda RX7 and he was in a V8 Commodore.

He got a big fright when we approached a roundabout at around 100kmph and he tried to out-brake me. hahahahahaha

He backed off after he realised that Mazda's are a dream when it comes to handling, and well V8s commodore's kinda need to break a hell of a lot earlier. hehehehe HE learnt!!!

Other than those temperamental outbursts, I never go more than 20kmph above the speed limit in any zone.

Here we lose our licence if we go 30kmph over the speed limit.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 21:28 (Ref:125356)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I go for average.

But if you people could see the highways I drive in, you certainly call me nuts !!!!
Old 22 Aug 2001, 17:24 (Ref:134335)   #11
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my dear friend Sharky, you`ve been my passenger so you know how Fast I drive. I think I drive at an average speed, but when the road is clear and I can go faster I can reach 70mph. I usually don't change lanes like a freak but when I'm late for something I become the master of overtaking. Now when I get off the city I tend to drive faster, and take the corners at the max speed. I think I don't have to look at the panel to know how fast I'm going, I just have to look at my mom's face.
Old 22 Aug 2001, 18:09 (Ref:134367)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by kuchi
I think I don't have to look at the panel to know how fast I'm going, I just have to look at my mom's face.
White pale = 150 Km/h