Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Aug 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2941932)   #1
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
ALMS Round 6: Road America 18-20 August 2011

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

Live Video ALMS

Live Video ESPN3

Radio Le Mans

World Times

Seeing as the event is this weekend, I thought time was getting a bit short, and a start to this thread was in order.

The race is back to Saturday afternoon/evening, and will once again be 4 hours, not just 2hr 45min.

Last I saw, the entry had 36 cars: 4 LMP1s, 1 LMP2, 7 LMPCs, 15 GTs, and 9 GTCs.

Feel free to provide the other customary links that go with these race threads.

Last edited by Bentley03; 19 Aug 2011 at 08:28.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 02:46 (Ref:2941941)   #2
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dagys is reporting that there have been some late changes to the entry list. It looks like the big change is that Kyle Marcelli is not racing with Intersport and is instead in the Performance Tech car with Jarrett Boon and Anthony Nicolosi. James French and Michael Marsal will be in the #37 LMPC with Jon Field and Clint will be in the #89 with the Ducotes. I wonder what to make of all these moves. Someone brought bigger checks to Intersport? Or maybe Marcelli wasn't too impressed with Jon's moves at Mosport!

Also, it looks like Emilio Di Guida will partner Dion von Moltke this weekend.

Dagys says there has been a lot of breaking ALMS news tonight and he'll have more on it tomorrow. We'll have to see what is going on (obviously the points situation discussed in the Mid-Ohio thread is pretty big news).
Old 17 Aug 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2941959)   #3
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the other big news has to do with Marcelli. Initially, when he debuted in the ALMS, he was with Performance Tech or Primetime Race Group - however it was branded (as I believe they are one in the same, Prime Time being the name Joel Feinberg's money brought to the team)... then he took his (Dad's? Mom's?) car and sponsorship to Intersport and now he is once again turning tail, and going back to Performance Tech. Curious stuff. I guess JD will clear it up for us tomorrow.

Chris
Old 17 Aug 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2941993)   #4
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!

The Spotter Guide for Road America, supported by Ten-Tenths is now up at http://spotterguides.com/alms-2011-guide

Includes the latest driver changes announced today and the extra entries. Will be updated later in the week if required.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2942185)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Andy! Looks good (as always). It will be interesting to see what that new GTC car looks like in the flesh. I keep thinking bumble bee, but we'll see.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2942248)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It seems strange that Tucker would choose the spyder, as opposed to the coupe, for a track like Road America.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2942249)   #7
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It seems strange that Tucker would choose the spyder, as opposed to the coupe, for a track like Road America.
The spyder is cost-capped and therefore has more power, less weight and faster refuelling times than the un-cost-capped coupe.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2942279)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not like any of that matters since they're running against no-one... coupe can finish races and that's what they're after, plus at least that car would have the looks on it's side. But I guess it should be considered a success if they finish ahead of the LMPC field - which I think is still running with bigger restrictors than the European counterparts(?) - and maybe Autocon lolz.

If there's an ideal Corvette track in this world, well, this it is. Mark my word, we'll be on the top step of the podium come saturday.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2942301)   #9
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
If there's an ideal Corvette track in this world, well, this it is. Mark my word, we'll be on the top step of the podium come saturday.
And yet it seems the BMWs have had the upper hand at this track the last few years with a win last year and a 1-2 the year before! Just saying, I wouldn't count my chickens...

DK
Old 18 Aug 2011, 00:37 (Ref:2942323)   #10
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a reason for that but I'm not sure if we need to start this Bimmer rant again, leads nowhere... at least the FIA was kind enought to separate them from the rest of the GT2 field last year at Spa
Old 18 Aug 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2942326)   #11
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If there's an ideal Corvette track in this world, well, this it is. Mark my word, we'll be on the top step of the podium come Saturday.
Back in the GT1 days, RA clearly suited the Vettes. But they have never seemed to have as much oompfh(sorry technical term) as the Bimmers.

Dave(still pining for the Vette vs Ferrari 550 days)Henrie
Old 18 Aug 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2942332)   #12
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Wasn't there a Lamborghini Gallardo in the series a few races back? What happened to that?
Old 18 Aug 2011, 02:07 (Ref:2942339)   #13
Deleted
Veteran

Corvette always goes well in high-speed flatout tracks like Sarthe, RA, Mosport... even if the current package might not match the GT1 (or indeed the current opponents) elsewhere.

2009 is a bit hard to judge as it was the second-ever race for the chassis plus they were still using the seven liter, and while the german smiley-faces were slightly ahead in last years race our cars did qualify 1-2.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2942341)   #14
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
Wasn't there a Lamborghini Gallardo in the series a few races back? What happened to that?
The team put the car they used earlier in the year up for sale. They claimed on their Facebook page that they will be returning with a new car later on, but we'll see.

The car was highly uncompetitive so I can't really blame them if they pull the plug.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2942390)   #15
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The motor, for what is said about how powerful the GT3 cars are, seemed pretty anemic. I imagine IMSA knocked on the trailer door the week before race day at Sebring with some tiny little restrictors for the Lambo. It was also silent most of the time I saw it at Sebring, even before it was being dragged back to pit road done for the day.

Back to the topic at hand, I am quite interested to see where the 55 fits in with the LMPC cars, as I haven't heard or seen any bulletins that say the PC cars must go back to the early-season restrictor.

As always will be rooting for the 45 Lizard and anything Porsche in GT.

Chris
Old 18 Aug 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2942452)   #16
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post

the car is on sale with an unfair price, i really doubt that someone will buy that uncompetitive gt3-masked car, maybe some collectionist in future. By the in 2009 the corvette ran with the katech LS7 but the displacement was reduced to 6.0.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2942462)   #17
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will be interesting to see where the BMWs sit. They commented something about how the restrictor change killed their straightaway speed, but then later on commented that they were confident (or something like that) going into Road America because they have always been strong there.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2942555)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The Spotter Guide had a small updated as GMG have now reverted back to their regular #32 number
Old 18 Aug 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2942596)   #19
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Anyone watching t&s? Melanie Snow and Scott Tucker in M3s. Who makes this stuff up?
Old 18 Aug 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2942605)   #20
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Anyone watching t&s? Melanie Snow and Scott Tucker in M3s. Who makes this stuff up?
I saw that, it was pretty funny! I think the times were from a GT3 test earlier in the morning, but who knows what goes on with that T&S. It rarely works for the first session of a weekend.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2942625)   #21
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa, Sellers just jumped into the top 3 of GT...very nice. I bet that win put some serious wind in their sails.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2942705)   #22
AGD
Veteran

The #16 Dyson car is about 2.5 seconds ahead of the Autocon car. I'm not sure what to make of that. Autocon did get a restrictor break for this race, but then again, being only 2.5 seconds ahead of that car is probably not a good sign. Not that it would be a surprise at a high speed track like Road America, but I think Muscle Milk should be in pretty good shape this weekend.

It wasn't by much, but it is good to see the Level 5 car ahead of the LMPC field.

One of the BMWs ended up slower than one of the Jags! Whoa! I'm guessing the 55 car must have had some sort of an issue as they did not do very many laps.

Bleekemolen once again put a whooping on the rest of the GTC field, but we'll see what happens the rest of the weekend.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2942722)   #23
Deleted
Veteran

Cytosport sat out the test session again? Are they that afraid of crashing the car or what...

That's some nice pace from Risi and ESM but this year both teams have had a very bad habit of screwing things up as the weekend progresses so...
Old 18 Aug 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2942733)   #24
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Cytosport sat out the test session again? Are they that afraid of crashing the car or what...
That is a legitimate question actually. I wonder if AMR's decision to start racing the Lolas again has led to any sort of parts/spares shortage.

Then again, maybe Cytosport does not see a need to test. It did not really hurt them at Mid-Ohio.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2942754)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I was also wondering about that. At first I thought maybe budget issues were at play, but that doesn't really make sense. You would think that since they have a new car (to them at least) they would want more time on track when they go someplace they haven't raced the LolaAMR at. Maybe spares are an issue as mentioned above