Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 16 Feb 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1227494)   #1
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsports contribution to Kyoto

maybe all racing cars should run on bio ethanol or bio diesel. wouldnt take much to do it really. just a few modifications to engines and with bioethanol, a bigger fuel tank
Old 16 Feb 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1227566)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
So how do I make my V8 Camaro run on Diesel? Only way would be to change the engine, not exactly a cheap conversion. I have a Range Rover on Autogas I and I think that would be a good alternative fuel but I think you would loose performance and I am not sure what the effects on the piston crowns would be in competition use on gas as I know to my own cost it is very easy to wipe out an engiine by pre-detonation in a hurry. Shame more research on performance using Autogas has not been carried out as I know it can stand a higher compression ratio and more advance than petrol. I tell you this though I guarantee if I was to fit one of my cars with gas as a bit of a project I would run into all sorts of scrutineering and elligibility issues.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1227576)   #3
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
So how do I make my V8 Camaro run on Diesel? Only way would be to change the engine, not exactly a cheap conversion. I have a Range Rover on Autogas I and I think that would be a good alternative fuel but I think you would loose performance and I am not sure what the effects on the piston crowns would be in competition use on gas as I know to my own cost it is very easy to wipe out an engiine by pre-detonation in a hurry. Shame more research on performance using Autogas has not been carried out as I know it can stand a higher compression ratio and more advance than petrol. I tell you this though I guarantee if I was to fit one of my cars with gas as a bit of a project I would run into all sorts of scrutineering and elligibility issues.
dont use diesel, use bio enthanol. u just need to change some of the parts (seals, injectors, fuel tank)

I had another thought. Cars using restrictors could get rid of them if they use bio ethanol because it doesnt ( in the same quantities) produce the same horsepower. around 60% .
Old 16 Feb 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1227598)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Formula Talbot triied it in the 70's (I think may be 80's) a bit like a Formula Ford but with an ethanol powered Talbot engine. Never really caught on.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1227622)   #5
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe all road cars should have continued to be been run on (the extremely minute and further reducing quantities of) lead in fuel and using the "lean burn" technology being developed in the UK (by Ford and Rover?) at the time the EU was influenced (by makers of large German cars?) to go for poor quality US-derived unleaded fuel and catalytic converters that produce far greater quantities of the "greenhouse gas" CO2 that has been pumped into the atmosphere for all those years now..........

Last edited by Anuauto; 16 Feb 2005 at 20:57.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1229365)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
A couple of kart tracks I've been to run "thunderkarts" which are LPG conversions. They seem to run fine, so would that be a better option for the environment, or would the potential risks in an accident be too great?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1229663)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I don't think they would be any more dangerous than petrol, the gas is contained in a reinforced steel tank. As for the environment, put it this way, when I took my Rangie for an MOT it recorded zero C02 and the engineer thought there was a fault on his equipment. That is why I can drive into central London and not pay the C charge. The fuel costs 36.7 pence a litre in Sainsburys so it makes sense all round, also the engine will never need a de-carb and the oil will stay as clean as the day you put it i.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1230618)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LPG cars aren't allowed on the channel tunnel train. I suspect somebody is worried about the quality of some of the conversions rather than the fuel itself!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1230631)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Hi Dennis,

Ever seen the drop of petrol on a bean can experiment which shows the destructive force of petrol once it turns into a gas, I think channel tunnel operators are being a bit over zealous and I did not know that fact actually. Tell me this then if I wanted to take my Range Rover on the train would I be able to drain the gas tanks and run on petrol or is that a no no as well, I am very suprised they don't allow that.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1231347)   #10
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Alan, no idea. I just spotted once in a Motorhome magazine and logged it away to investigate further if it ever effected me.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1231643)   #11
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Shame more research on performance using Autogas has not been carried out as I know it can stand a higher compression ratio and more advance than petrol. I tell you this though I guarantee if I was to fit one of my cars with gas as a bit of a project I would run into all sorts of scrutineering and elligibility issues.

Vauxhall SRI Chapionship ran a gas powerd car running with the toca championship few years ago but never performed, too much of a power loss, the whole idea of petrol engines as it is, is supprisingly unefficient to start with unfortunatly.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1231668)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes but f the WHOLE field had been gas powered who would have noticed any difference in the racing spectacle, the odd second a lap would be niether here nor there if the whole field were in the same boat. The point is Vauxhall do manufacture a gas option and I think they may have missed a golden oppertunity to present a responsible face of motorsport.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1231698)   #13
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
o yea sorry if the whole grid was powerd that way then yes they missed out big time there!