Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2002, 16:03 (Ref:288173)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
More Important :- Team or Driver

as everyone knows, my favourite driver is Juan Pablo, but i'm also fortunate that he drives for a team that i would consider my favourite, williams! there are a few people on here whose names give away the preference (not picking on anyone here, just using as an example!) but we have SATO san, RALFS girl, BERNOLDI chic, BAR chic, FERRARI chic etc, but the we also have the likes of NEILAP, who tends to support HONDA over any particular driver (sorry neil!)

so it got me wondering, who is more important to you, a driver, or a team? for me, it's the driver, should MONTOYA go to anyother team (ferrari as an example) and racing against a driver in a williams, i'd still want montoya to win.............who would you choose?
Old 16 May 2002, 16:09 (Ref:288178)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH....A driver definatly . As for me , i will aways follow Taku no matter what team he drives for !!....mind you , im also a huge admirer of the mighty Juan Paplo as well.
Old 16 May 2002, 17:20 (Ref:288213)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The WDC was in existence for 8 years before the WCC.

Its all about the guys who put their lives on the line. Machines are interesting, but its people who make theater.

Last edited by EERO; 16 May 2002 at 17:21.
Old 16 May 2002, 17:32 (Ref:288220)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A team is more important. Put MS in a Minardi and he wouldn't win.
Old 16 May 2002, 17:52 (Ref:288228)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While the drivers are the ones the ones to get all the press, take all the credit and develop egos unlike those in any other sport (except for maybe be NBA players in the US), it is the teams that determine whether a driver will be on the podium or a backmarker.

I contend that with today's cars you could find any number of drivers in lower formulae around the world that would be capable of winning in F1 given the right car...say an F2002. The 22 that many chose to worship are just the lucky ones.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 May 2002, 18:11 (Ref:288247)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
sorry but i think your missing my point here, maybe i should have called this topic, who do you support more. i was trying to make the point that although F1 is a team sport, if a driver leaves, do you still support that team or is the fact that the drivers gone more important to you? i.e... as a west ham supporter i will be gutted should paulo di canio or joe cole left but it wouldn't stop me supporting west ham, but motorsport to me is the one sport where to me, the driver (or should i say "player") is the more important aspect, and i was just wondering, who or what to you was more important!
Old 16 May 2002, 18:44 (Ref:288265)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh...I see what you mean mr. v. For me it all depends on the driver and the team.

For example...
I don't like JPM, but I like Williams, so go Ralf!
I don't like TGF or Ferrari, but I do like Rubens...
I don't like BAR, but I do like Villeneuve(sometimes)..

I'd be a full time Williams fan if they didn't have JPM. I like Williams attitude toward racing. They try to run a lean mean operation. Their budget is actually less than BAR or Renault, yet they are probably the second best team. THey refuse to pay drivers giant salaries like some other teams, and would rather bring in young drivers into the sport. A good thing. Even if one of them was JPM...hehe

Last edited by Jay; 16 May 2002 at 18:45.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 May 2002, 19:49 (Ref:288286)   #8
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I'd be a full time Williams fan if they didn't have JPM.
Any particular reason, Jay ?
Old 16 May 2002, 20:00 (Ref:288291)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just shooting from the hip here, but I think Jay has met JPM. Or he knows someone who has. And JPM wasn't very friendly in that instance, from what I gather...

For me, it's the driver. I would support Jacques and JPM (hehe...) no matter who they drove for.
Old 16 May 2002, 20:04 (Ref:288294)   #10
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I 'started' watching formula one because of a team called Ferrari.

I 'continued' because of a 'driver' named Senna.

After Senna I realized... I am 'addicted' to it! So now I just watch it for the sake of a 'brilliant manouvere', a 'special drive', a 'brilliant performance'.
Old 16 May 2002, 20:08 (Ref:288299)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In 1958, Fangio said, about that the importance or car/driver, that the imporantance was 75% of the car and 25% of the driver. I think in these years the importance of car is more than in those times.
Old 16 May 2002, 20:16 (Ref:288307)   #12
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Back to the main question... which is more important.

I would say the the 'driver' is more important than the team.... Ferrari is an exemption though
Old 16 May 2002, 21:36 (Ref:288384)   #13
TTT

RACING wouldn't happen without drivers. I can understand somebody supporting a driver or team of individuals, but when it comes to manufacturers, why would anyone be a fan of that ? These guys are in it for the money are they not ?Maybe if you work for them or believe the company philosophy to be of some merit you could admire them in some way, but where does the passion come from ? Ferrari have a certain quality, but as has been made abundantly clear, RACING (as we know it) is not part of that anymore when a championship is at stake. How many people just enjoy watching cars drive around without real sporting competition?

over

Old 16 May 2002, 22:08 (Ref:288413)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not a fan of any driver off the track. On the track I admire drivers with heart. However, I care mostly about the manufacturer. As for the question why would anyone. Well, why would anyone admire some rich, arrogant and usually unfriendly driver. I dont care about their lives. I love the technology of F1. I love the fact that teams/manufacturers are able to extract so much from so little. I like the teams philosophy. The drivers are only as good as the tools they are given.
Old 16 May 2002, 22:12 (Ref:288417)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
It may be more important to the success to the car, but it may not be where your loyalties lie. As for your example, how long do you think it would sit at P21/22 for? Not long I think.

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Its all about the guys who put their lives on the line. Machines are interesting, but its people who make theater.
Very true EERO, and the drivers will always be the spark that keeps us coming back. It was'nt a Williams that put that move on Michael at Brazil last year, it was Monty. It was a McLaren that went around a BAR(?) to passed a Ferrari at spa, it was Mika.

That said, I support many drivers and many teams, for the same reason. Attitide.

Michael, Juan, Frank, Dennis & Ferrari all have one thing in common - a massive desire to win. Call it ambition. Stoddart is another for his determination.

It is this that attracts me to my friends, work mates, these drivers and teams, Formula One, and motorsport in general.
Old 16 May 2002, 22:23 (Ref:288430)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
However without the manufacturers giving the drivers the tools then they would be also rans.
Old 16 May 2002, 23:11 (Ref:288453)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The driver is _far_ more important to the fans, except to the Italians, and sometimes to the Americans, who practice a lot of brand loyalty and don't take time to find out who the drivers really are. My countrymen typically just love the speed, the atmosphere, and sadly, the carnage.

Endurance racing, of course, is the exception. It's typically been all about the team.
Old 17 May 2002, 00:51 (Ref:288481)   #18
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intersting topic. For me I think it comes down to the people. As an example I have loved Jaguar since I first saw my first e-type, and that love has gone unabated even when Ford took over. I personally think they have improved the breed. So saying that when Jaguar entered Formula One I was very excited, unfortunately they have done nothing but make bad decisions IMO. Hiring Irvine was a monsterous mistake. But when they hired Rahal I saw a light , but then there was Lauda. Then there was Adrian Newey, which didn't work out and so Rahal left. The gist of all this is that it's the people of Jaguar that are killing my affection for a team I really want to love.
Love Hurts, I imagine there are a few tifosi who feel the same way about their team and the Schumacher infection.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 17 May 2002, 01:05 (Ref:288486)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Driver, absolutely. I have my favourites too.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 17 May 2002, 01:15 (Ref:288496)   #20
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Favourite current drivers - TGF without a doubt
Favourite teams - Ferrari (of course) & Sauber
Old 17 May 2002, 06:47 (Ref:288608)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always supported Heidfeld, but only started supporting Sauber when he joined the team. However, I've always had soft spot for the Swiss team, they are a nice, tight band of workers.

I supported Mika but never really supported McLaren.

I've always followed Minardi and was always a fan of Pierluigi Martini.

Drivers are important, but it appears the car is becoming the bigger factor. Fisi is doing nothing in the Jordan this year but if you put him in the Ferrari he'd be dominating like TGF.
Old 17 May 2002, 10:38 (Ref:288750)   #22
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have always supported williams, but i would rather see anyone, except ferrari, win ahead of halfie!!!
my fav at the moment is JPM, who i regard as the succesor to TFG as the dominator in F1, but with a bit more class.
mclaren is also a favourite, but i dont like the way DC has been treated the past few years
Old 19 May 2002, 07:14 (Ref:289928)   #23
Aussiefan

Personally I see F1 as a team sport. The drivers are only two employees out of hundreds in a team although they are the last link in the chain (and one of the most important, obviously). I really only 'support' Mark Webber as I've been following his career for a while. I'm more into F1 as a whole.

Old 19 May 2002, 07:30 (Ref:289937)   #24
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the teams themselves might see it as a team sport, but most of the paying public are interested in there favourite driver, apart from ferrari fans who will follow whoever drives one of those cars!!!!!!
Old 19 May 2002, 15:21 (Ref:289989)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I look at F1 as a team sport...they all work together to achieve one goal which is to win races..I like most of the drivers,and as much as I love Ferrari, seeing Michael win most of the time this year I find a little boring. There still seems to be a lot of Ferrari and TGF haters at Ten-Tenths..I realy don't quite understand. but maybe I am just biased I suppose. Ron Dennis,Frank Williams,Flavio Briatori are as cold as ice in my view..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 19 May 2002 at 15:23.