Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Apr 2002, 11:52 (Ref:252618)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden V8 GenIII

I had real high hopes for this engine when it first came out. I was annoyed at first that the Australian Built V8 was dropped but though maybe in the long term it would be a better option. How wrong I appeared to have been. I have heard of nothing but problems with these engines in the last couple of years. From high oil consumption (Holden stateing that 2.5litres of oil per 10000km is exceptable consumption) to pinging coming from the engine between 2500rpm to 4500rpm to now rattle noises. Now I know we all hear one or 2 bad storys about a car but not as many as this. Have you heard anything like this????
Old 5 Apr 2002, 11:59 (Ref:252632)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know the blokes who race them have had a few problems, but i don't know anybody who has one for a street car.

I'm very keen to know if there is a problem, because I'm due for a new car next year and a 5.7 Commodore SS is on the top of my list.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 12:02 (Ref:252635)   #3
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
David the company I work for has a few leased out and at the moment there are 3 off the road with the problems I mention. All in different states and all different model of Commodre and Ute
Old 5 Apr 2002, 12:39 (Ref:252666)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought diffs were the problem. Not engines!

Doesn't really matter though guys. I am trying to buy a Ducati. So who am I to comment..
Old 5 Apr 2002, 16:33 (Ref:252818)   #5
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about the fact that they r just slow, or is that just a common phenomenen with bombydores Mate in a Rex just thrashed a new Monaro withe the Gen III

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 6 Apr 2002, 05:48 (Ref:253188)   #6
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have driven both a "rex" and a commodore ss with the 5.7 and i can tell you the holden leaves the subaru for dead
Old 6 Apr 2002, 07:54 (Ref:253225)   #7
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, all you aussies!

I might be able to give you some insight on the Holden V8's. I drive a '97 Camaro Z28, which has the "old" 5.7L V8 (the LT1, Chev 350). I've got the 6-spd with it, too.

In 1998, that engine (in N.A.) was replaced by a newer 5.7L V8 (346 cu. in. - the LS1). I know a few people with that powerplant, and have compared the two.

From what I've read, your V8 Holden Commodores have used these engines at one time or another.

Mine has 145,000 K - with no repairs, running strong as ever.
Old 6 Apr 2002, 11:53 (Ref:253396)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Davy, I believe the Gen III is the LS1 engine as that is what HSV badge their versions of Commodores.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 00:15 (Ref:253862)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
i have driven both a "rex" and a commodore ss with the 5.7 and i can tell you the holden leaves the subaru for dead
I don't think so. It may have appeared so, but on paper (and in practice) it does'nt turn out that way. Oh, and try it on a wet day and see what happens.

Anyway, with a name like Calais, your obviously bias.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 02:55 (Ref:253929)   #10
calais
Veteran

wrex, i'm talking of two totally standard cars, not a WRX with upgraded turbo, big exhaust and those annoying blow off valves.
i witnessed a drag race between these two cars, and although very close, the holden had the edge.
anyway, with a name like wrex, the bias is also obvious!!!
Old 7 Apr 2002, 05:43 (Ref:253939)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
anyway, with a name like wrex, the bias is also obvious!!!
I'm pretty sure I was making that obvious Calais. Thus the
Quote:
wrex, i'm talking of two totally standard cars, not a WRX with upgraded turbo, big exhaust and those annoying blow off valves.
i witnessed a drag race between these two cars, and although very close, the holden had the edge.
Well I don't have an upgraded turbo, big exhaust, blow off valve or any mod for that matter. And although closer than I thought, the SS could'nt do it over 400m. Its not that its lacks the power to do it, but its a big girl to get going from a dead start.

Sorry calais, but if you look up the performance figures on both you will see it on paper.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 07:49 (Ref:253964)   #12
DavyboyLT1
Racer

I'm not familiar with the weight of the Commodore, but my LT1 Camaro is about 3600 lbs.

We drag race the 1/4 mile here in N.A., and the Suburu WRX is a good match for me - (stock) it has a bit less power and ultimate speed, but far more grip.

By the way Wrex, I used to have an Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Mitsu 2.0L turbo). I'm very familiar with the advantages of all wheel drive, even on dry pavement. My current car is quicker through the quarter-mile, but only after making up for a full half-second lost in the first 60ft.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 07:56 (Ref:253966)   #13
DavyboyLT1
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
Davy, I believe the Gen III is the LS1 engine as that is what HSV badge their versions of Commodores.
Everyone in N.A. loves their LS1's. They're good for a half-second 1/4 mile improvement, and a bit better fuel economy to boot (over the LT1 350).

I haven't heard of high oil consumption with these engines, but I'll keep my ears open.

At the time I bought my car, both the old LT1, and the new LS1 were available. I chose the LT1, since it was proven dependable, and was cheaper to upgrade.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 09:41 (Ref:253995)   #14
calais
Veteran

wrex, we are talking about the new, heavier, model WRX, arent we??????
Old 7 Apr 2002, 11:32 (Ref:254033)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
No. And this may explain our difference of opinion.

Your right in saying the new 'bug eyed' WRX is slower than previous models. (In fact the 94 model was the fastest and the 1/4 mile times have increased with every model.

Mine is 98.

Old 7 Apr 2002, 13:11 (Ref:254102)   #16
StuiE
Veteran

Quote:
upgraded turbo, big exhaust and those annoying blow off valves.
Annoying! they r the maddest!!

those V8 bogans never learn...

05 - Peter Brock
Old 9 Apr 2002, 10:45 (Ref:255456)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
just to add some more to this story the manufacturer is now saying it can use up to 3 litres per 10000km. Now I am a Holden fan through and through but if it was my car I would be saying thanks but no thanks I'll see you in court
Old 10 Apr 2002, 06:06 (Ref:256148)   #18
Rotary
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Rotary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heaps Of Leaks Dents & Engine Noise?
Old 10 Apr 2002, 10:38 (Ref:256258)   #19
calais
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
just to add some more to this story the manufacturer is now saying it can use up to 3 litres per 10000km. Now I am a Holden fan through and through but if it was my car I would be saying thanks but no thanks I'll see you in court
funny, i had a vs commodore v6 that lost nearly all its oil from the 1500km service to the 10000 service,and i was also told it was "normal usage"
Old 10 Apr 2002, 10:58 (Ref:256264)   #20
StuiE
Veteran

nice one Rotary

05 - Peter Brock
Old 10 Apr 2002, 19:48 (Ref:256713)   #21
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is not the GenIII related to the Corvette engine?
Old 13 Apr 2002, 04:15 (Ref:258652)   #22
DavyboyLT1
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by strad
is not the GenIII related to the Corvette engine?
Yeah, it's the LS1, also used in the '97-up Vettes (except for the Z06, of course - and I think the newest ones are using the LS5 or something), and the '98-up Camaro/Firebird. I haven't heard of high oil consumption with LS1's over here (but, I've got an LT1 though, so I have no direct experience).

I think that the engines are being manufactured in both Aus. (for Holden) and N.A. (for Chev). The 2 LS1's undoubtably use the same specs, but are made at two different facilities. That may explain why the problems with high oil consumption in Oz don't seem to exist here.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:28 (Ref:259124)   #23
Rotary
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Rotary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they were still importing LS1's from o/s? Only literature I can find says the Aussie delivered LS1's are still manufactured in Romulus, MI, USA.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 02:35 (Ref:259514)   #24
DavyboyLT1
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotary
I thought they were still importing LS1's from o/s? Only literature I can find says the Aussie delivered LS1's are still manufactured in Romulus, MI, USA.
Sorry there, you're right.

I goofed on that one - it was the old V8 that was made in Aus.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 03:06 (Ref:259529)   #25
DavyboyLT1
Racer

OK - I've done a little research on the LS1. Like I said, I'm more familiar with the LT1, but here's what I've turned up:

Engine noises: pinging/rattling type noises at mid RPM's seem to be fairly common, especially when the engine is cold. Most common explanation - piston slap - the pistons / rings / cylinders don't seem to seal very well until they've all expanded with a bit of heat. This, of course, might relate to problem #2.

Oil consumption: this is where it gets weird. Some guys have virtually no oil consumption, and others need to add atrocious amounts between changes. It's been suggested that cars with autos use less oil than those with 6-spd's - as if the oil gets past the rings when you lift to shift. That's one explanation that people have heard from the odd GM dealer. And, of course, they're saying that this excessive oil usage is "normal".

All this info, by the way, came from the message board at: http://www.camaroz28.com/

By comparison, my LT1 makes similar "piston slap" noises when its cold (has since new), but with 145,000 Km, changing the oil every 5000, I haven't had to add any between changes.

I hope I've been some help.