Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer to own?
2 Year old BMW M3 Coupe 20 60.61%
Brand new 300bhp Subaru Impreza 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Mar 2003, 13:22 (Ref:524456)   #1
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would you rather have, on the driveway?

What do you think, is the most desirable to own.
A current model, 2 year old, BMW M3 coupe, or the brand new 300bhp version, Subaru Impreza ? They cost similar money around here.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 14:44 (Ref:524529)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Change from twenty grand, eh?

Then can I click the option which says "really nice 1970-1982 Aston Martin V8" please?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 15:42 (Ref:524562)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I voted for the Scooby. Assuming you mean the end of 2002 line special edition (grey import only, boo hiss)...

But given that in the UK you'd pay well over thirty grand for either of those, with that money I'd go for a Porsche 911 (993).

Seeing as I don't have that kind of money, I've just bought a new 2003 model Scooby WRX 5dr for just over twenty.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 16:48 (Ref:524599)   #4
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
The Subaru model I'm talking about is the new 2003 WRX STI @ £24,995 OTR + £2000 for the (officially sanctioned by Subaru)Prodrive kit, which adds an extra 35bhp to the STI's 265bhp. You can get a M3 with a bit of mileage for circa £28,000.
I realy admire the engineering milestones that Subaru (& Misubishi) have achieved with these cars, but as I'm 47, I can't help feeling I'll look like a 'just divorced' boy racer. The M3 on the other hand, is by all account's sublime, if not as effective as the oriental.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 17:06 (Ref:524608)   #5
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
M3 everytime, much more refined engine development, set up and rear wheel drive. Subaru like a fish out of water on a track. Won't last as long either.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 17:29 (Ref:524620)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For punch for your £££s you can't knock the STI at 25 grand can you, but - at an ageing and widening mid thirties myself - I can see your point about just divorced boy racer... the thing is a tad brutal. To be honest, I'd consider spending 2 grand on getting rid of those horrible gold alloys and adding a few more creature comforts rather than the PPP - awesome though it is.

Don't get me wrong about the M3 - it is a superb car - but I live in Wilmslow, and they don't call the 3 series "the Cheshire Cavalier" for nothing. And they're all driven by absolute s (IMO!)...

Even at 28 grand though, I'd rather pick up a 993.

As it happens, around twenty was my budget, and the 5dr Scooby suits my needs for some practicality and less of the boy racer image (I had a blue/gold Terzo a few years ago and got all that out of my system then... I think)
Old 4 Mar 2003, 22:22 (Ref:524940)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooooooh. I really don't know!! I'd have to give it some thought. What about an Evo VIII?? That being said, I don't think my choice would be any easier...
Old 4 Mar 2003, 22:49 (Ref:524982)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tough call ............ I wish I had to make it!!!

Really, you can't go wrong. Either one will deliver plenty of thrills.

Test drive them both, see which one you like better, and if you still can't split them, it will come down to stuff like which one you could live with, which one would look better parked in the driveway/at work, which one will pull the most chicks etc.

I think I'm probably leaning to the new car. But I change my mind all the time these days.

Actually no, the M3.

Hang on, maybe the STi ..... or the M3 ..... um.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 05:40 (Ref:525271)   #9
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M3 without a doubt. In my opinion one of the great cars as it is RWD & does everything well.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 06:47 (Ref:525292)   #10
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with you moff the M3 would be more of a car to play with than the sub and who wants to have a Subaru that everyone will want to pinch.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 11:18 (Ref:525491)   #11
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the (mostly helpful)responses so far. The argument seems pretty balanced.I guess at the end of the day, it's hard to imagine oneself, being dissatisfied with the M3, despite it's slightly flash image. I as I have already stated, I think the Japanese deserve more credit, for pushing the envelope, and getting an everday reliable 300bhp from an engine size, that 20 years ago, would have been advanced to produce half that.Also makes watching the WRC Championship more interesting!
Despite this, the M3 in a sober colour (met. graphite maybe) seems to be emerging as favourite.
Any more viewpoints and has anyone experienced anthing other than full reliability with their Subaru?
Quote:
Test driver to race engineer " I don't know what you've done to the settings, but it handles, like having sex with a fat lady in a hammock"- no offence meant to any lovely fat ladies

Last edited by C R Box; 5 Mar 2003 at 11:24.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 12:10 (Ref:525513)   #12
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i vote Scooby
Old 5 Mar 2003, 12:19 (Ref:525517)   #13
paul c
Rookie

paul c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tricky one this. Both cars are undoubtably excellent, but sadly I think too many people buy them for the image they convey rather than the car's ability. (I'm not suggesting that means you too C R Box.) I'd be worried about getting tarnished with the same brush. (Love the comment about "Cheshire Cavalier". It applies in Bedford too...) So I'm with Tim D on this one! (Did they do them in black Tim?)
Old 5 Mar 2003, 13:45 (Ref:525624)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M3
Old 6 Mar 2003, 01:38 (Ref:526220)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M3 every time- RWD, will last longer, that badge, more than likely more comfortable over long distance, no turbo worries.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 8 Mar 2003, 00:57 (Ref:528366)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
M3 - No strange noises (like my Alfa 146 makes...), more comfort, longer durability, better looks, etc...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 8 Mar 2003 at 00:58.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:32 (Ref:529154)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
beemer. having driven my mum's m3 convertible which would be glorious but for the chassis wobble i can safely say it's worth it if just for that amazing engine.

m3 is far more refined and less japanese. and the hold their value quite well here.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 20:55 (Ref:529170)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bim bimmer please, just that bit more tasteful and when was the last time you saw a beemer on a road rally? heh preston.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 23:18 (Ref:529298)   #19
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the bm i reckon in this poll, but i would rather have the older impreza wrx, the one with out the dodgy frog eyes for headlights. the 98 impreza..
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:00 (Ref:529826)   #20
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the owner of a C2 Alpina and a Impreza Sport I suppose I am quite close to the question. Well nearly.....!
It is a hard choice as both are great driving machines and both are very competent on the track. I suppose it comes down to image.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:11 (Ref:529834)   #21
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are the choices i'll rip up the driveway and turf it.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 11:45 (Ref:529918)   #22
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bomn do you like anything?
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:45 (Ref:531079)   #23
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No i'm a miserable *******.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 10:51 (Ref:531140)   #24
gsr
Racer

gsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll take the M3.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 13:19 (Ref:535015)   #25
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with TimD - AMV8 please. In any case, if you want an M3 - get the E30 - and if you want 4WD, how about a Lancia Delta Integrale?

Oh, go on then. The Impreza....no, wait....the M3. On third thoughts, the Subaru......