Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 14 Mar 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3041082)   #51
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worldwide, probably the Cruze, but NASCAR is hardly a worldwide sport. Plus, you can't make a Sprint Cup car look like a Cruze; the latter is too small. But that takes us back to the Impala, and they've already said that the 2013 body will not be called an Impala.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3041239)   #52
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
What's the best selling Chevy sedan? Impala? Cruze?
In the US I'd guess the Malibu.

The new Charger looks pretty good. Now that the cars can have real features instead of stickers, they just need to get rid of the fake lights and we'll finally have stock cars that don't look silly anymore.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 03:22 (Ref:3041258)   #53
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post

Now it looks like the 2013 Bowtie will take the name from the front-engined, rear-drive V8 2013 'Commodore', which is simply never going to be a volume seller.
You'd be surprised.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3044024)   #54
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
But the given reason as to why the Monte Carlo SS name was dropped in favour of the Impala as the nominated GM Sprint Cup body in the first place was that the Monte Carlo was not a mass-market car.

I'd be delighted if the Great American Car-Buying Public came to their senses, and rushed in their droves to buy a front-engine rear-drive V-8 powered Chevrolet Commodore in 2013, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3044044)   #55
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
But the given reason as to why the Monte Carlo SS name was dropped in favour of the Impala as the nominated GM Sprint Cup body in the first place was that the Monte Carlo was not a mass-market car.

I'd be delighted if the Great American Car-Buying Public came to their senses, and rushed in their droves to buy a front-engine rear-drive V-8 powered Chevrolet Commodore in 2013, but I somehow doubt it.
The Pontiac G8 sold VERY well for the one year it was here.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3050083)   #56
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

You cannot get it unless you are a fleet buyer.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3050090)   #57
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
You cannot get it unless you are a fleet buyer.
Right now yes, but that is looking to change when the Commodore gets a major facelift for next year. The plan is to also sell it as a Chevy.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3050209)   #58
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The Monte sold so poorly that they stopped making it and that is why they changed the name. Good riddance.

The Charger sells pretty well, so I don't see that being the issue. I don't think you will see a V8 offered unless this car sells REALLY well though due to the fuel mileage standards. They already have the pick ups, Camaro, and Corvette to offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Right now yes, but that is looking to change when the Commodore gets a major facelift for next year. The plan is to also sell it as a Chevy.
It would have to be the Caprice though as the Commodore overlaps with the new Malibu's segment too much.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3050258)   #59
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The Monte sold so poorly that they stopped making it and that is why they changed the name. Good riddance.

The Charger sells pretty well, so I don't see that being the issue. I don't think you will see a V8 offered unless this car sells REALLY well though due to the fuel mileage standards. They already have the pick ups, Camaro, and Corvette to offset.

It would have to be the Caprice though as the Commodore overlaps with the new Malibu's segment too much.
Nah, the Malibu is a midsized ca,r the Commodore is large family car. Where the Impala currently sits.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3050525)   #60
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nah, the Malibu is a midsized ca,r the Commodore is large family car. Where the Impala currently sits.
What size wheelbase does the Commodore have in inches?

The current Camaro, I believe, has the same size wheelbase as the seventies Chevelles had and the Charger's wheelbase is only one iinch shorter than the originals.

The scam on supposed car sizes that Detroits floats on the public nowaday is pathetic.
The biggest from Detroit is barely a mid-size and most are smaller than the old Chevy II which was a compact.

If one wants a true full-size one has to get a Mercedes or Rolls.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3054510)   #61
mrchrisdavies
Rookie

mrchrisdavies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they do look good. Nice modernisation. I want one for the road!

They dont look as aerodynamic at the front though and are almost looking more like the Aussie Supercars which I never thought I would see.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3065656)   #62
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm....

Quote:
Will Chevy's new car be the SS? From Autoblog: Count us eager to get behind the wheel of whatever a "2014 Chevrolet SS Performance" turns out to be. Hopefully the appearance of [a] reference on the OnStar website is more than just a digital placeholder. Chevy SS rumors have been swirling lately, with General Motors registering the "SS" trademark earlier this month, just days after & spy shooters caught what looked like a hotted-up Impala. Then there's the NASCAR situation: Chevrolet has said its new entry in the racing series will be both a new vehicle and a new nameplate. We're guessing that car isn't going to be the Spark. So this new OnStar "leak," if it is such a thing, would point to the Chevy SS being a separate model. If we are reading our tea leaves correctly, the model will be derived from the rear-drive Holden Commodore (the same Zeta architecture that underpins Chevrolet's law-enforcement-only Caprice PPV), while the brand's front-drive Impala will get a new, sportier variant. We'd also assume that the long-wheelbase version of the Commodore used for the Caprice cop car would donate its top-level powertrain, the 355-horsepower, 6.0-liter V8.(Autoblog)(4-25-2012)
Old 26 Apr 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3065836)   #63
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new cars are looking great, any word on when we will see the Chevy?

The CoT brick was/is truly uninspired.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3065858)   #64
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
I am somewhat surprised that GM had to register the SS brand, as I thought that they owned it already, at least in the US. Chevy Nova SS, Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS?

I dare say that they will have to rebrand the car for the German and Israeli markets....
Old 26 Apr 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3065975)   #65
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am somewhat surprised that GM had to register the SS brand, as I thought that they owned it already, at least in the US. Chevy Nova SS, Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS?
...Holden Commodore SS...
Old 27 Apr 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3065996)   #66
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So the Impala will have an even bigger sister? That's ridiculous, as if the Malibu was that small.
Old 16 May 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3075273)   #67
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Holden to announce export of the Commodore to U.S. as Chevrolet SS: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the Commodore, which will see the Adelaide [Australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the United States. Though sales of the Elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in Australia, a Commodore V8 will be exported to America where it will be sold with the Chevrolet SS Performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the NASCAR stock car racing series, which runs second only to Formula One in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in Victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the Dodge Charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the USA hint that an announcement of the Chevrolet SS program is imminent, including the Holden connection. The coming VF Commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for American muscle car fans, and NASCAR stock car racing as well, thanks to its V8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former GM Holden president Mark Reuss, now the head of GM operations in the US and a known fan and supporter of the Commodore, dodged Carsguide's questions on a link between the SS program and the Commodore. Holden chairman Mike Devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the US, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012)
Old 16 May 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3075308)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
That's a very boring name. I'd rather have Chevrolet Caprice.
Old 16 May 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3075400)   #69
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So the Impala will have an even bigger sister? That's ridiculous, as if the Malibu was that small.
It as far from ridiculous as one can get; it actually shows that some at Chey/GM still have brains.

The supposed full-size cars nowadays are barely as large as the old compact Chevy II or Nova as it was later called.

Four of us, gents, took a long weekend camping trip in my cousins Malibu only we had to motel it, as there was no room for camping gear in the trunk of what are really sub-compact econo-boxes passed off as family sedans.

People who mock persons for buying utes or SUVs as they are called in the States, definitly are the ones who do not use their cars for anything but hauling themselves or maybe one other person downtown and back making them ignorant of just how useless todays sedans are for anything but hauling people minus luggage or cargo.
---------------

On a side note: why not call it a Caprice SS?

I can see it happen- "I drive an SS."
"SS what?"
"An SS."
"OK I get it. Who's on first?"

This move ranks on the stupid side along with Chrysler dropping the Dodge from the Viper name and creating the SRT brand; it gives me the feeling that some in Detroit, or where ever, are totally clueless to the mind set of the the U.S. buying public.

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 16 May 2012 at 18:51.
Old 17 May 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3075644)   #70
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure about America, but the last time Holden exported the Commodore, it was sold as the Vauxhall VXR8 in the UK, and the Chevrolet Lumina everywhere else. You'd think Lumina would be a good name for it, with it's NASCAR history.
Old 17 May 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3075925)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just don't see what's wrong with "Commodore", even with an American accent.

The original Lumina was a big hunk of . No more of this, please:
Old 17 May 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3075930)   #72
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
It as far from ridiculous as one can get; it actually shows that some at Chey/GM still have brains.

The supposed full-size cars nowadays are barely as large as the old compact Chevy II or Nova as it was later called.

Four of us, gents, took a long weekend camping trip in my cousins Malibu only we had to motel it, as there was no room for camping gear in the trunk of what are really sub-compact econo-boxes passed off as family sedans.

People who mock persons for buying utes or SUVs as they are called in the States, definitly are the ones who do not use their cars for anything but hauling themselves or maybe one other person downtown and back making them ignorant of just how useless todays sedans are for anything but hauling people minus luggage or cargo.
---------------

On a side note: why not call it a Caprice SS?

I can see it happen- "I drive an SS."
"SS what?"
"An SS."
"OK I get it. Who's on first?"

This move ranks on the stupid side along with Chrysler dropping the Dodge from the Viper name and creating the SRT brand; it gives me the feeling that some in Detroit, or where ever, are totally clueless to the mind set of the the U.S. buying public.
The Caprice is bigger.
Old 17 May 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3075931)   #73
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well its now official...
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/05/18/...car-confirmed/
Old 17 May 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3075932)   #74
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
I'm not sure about America, but the last time Holden exported the Commodore, it was sold as the Vauxhall VXR8 in the UK, and the Chevrolet Lumina everywhere else. You'd think Lumina would be a good name for it, with it's NASCAR history.
The last time Holden exported the Commodore, we got it as the Pontiac G8.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3076051)   #75
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The last time Holden exported the Commodore, we got it as the Pontiac G8.
That's the one. I forgot about that.