Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 3 Jun 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2890724)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
X Games 17 - Los Angeles, CA USA - July 28th - 31st

Intro - Not long now until the X Games. With the global expansion looming soon maybe we might catch a glimpse of what the X Games can bring to rallycross in the future. I wonder if we might see stars from our side of the pond will jump over to the event? We could see oddball cars for America come along like a Citroen C4 or a Renault Cilo. Unlike last years simple dirt ring with a jump, this year, the race is happening in downtown LA with a more traditional layout (Although this, like previous years, has a 70 jump in the joker lap.) There could be one or two surprises along the way!

First wave of entries.

I hope we do see a few of our own drivers make the trip.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2890766)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Athlete Name Country
Marcus Gronholm TBD
To Be Decided?

If they want to be taken serious they have to invite some of ERC's best drivers.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2890933)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely with his new sponsorship Liam Doran is a pretty likely contender? I wonder if Isachsen will make a return as well? It was a shame that the Subaru couldn't perform better last year, hopefully the car will be better this year (or Isachsen will just ship his own car out there).

Given he is out there for the GRC Jernberg has got to be fairly likely to make an appearance, hasn't he? I'd also expect Stephan Verdier from the GRC roster to be there as well.

If Pat Doran is taking his second RS200 out there for Pikes Peak they should let him have a crack as well. An RS200 at X-Games, now that would be worth watching!
Old 4 Jun 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2890955)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Agree about Doran Jr (of course also what you said about Sr but that's unlikely ), Jernberg and Verdier.

Maybe Heikkinen? He already took part in one event last year and won it. Money seems no problem for the young Finn.

Was Kimi Raikkonen ever linked to a rallycross drive? The informal world of rallycross would suit him.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2890967)   #5
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Understood that Pat Doran and Petter Solberg are not doing the 2011 PPIHC.
Pitty, as in the US they claim that in 2012 the PP highway will be 100% tarmac.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2891005)   #6
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus is definitely confirmed for the event. Remember at Irwindale the race suit manufacturer put a Swedish flag on his suit. Perhaps this has confused ESPN re his country of origin!

Yes, you will see Jernberg, Verdier, another Hyundai but maybe not with Dodd in it - Robbie Madison?, Burke and I would guess Block as well. From Europe I think Liam has made it clear he wants to come and should get an invite.

ESPN/GRC use the 'invitations' very wisely (note Pastrana on the list) so a few people should appear soon - perhaps after Pikes Peak. Ford don't sell that model Focus here but now Holte's Volvo and he has been here before.......

You would have thought that rallycross would ever close off the downtown of one of the worlds largest cities for two days!?!?!

Mark
Old 4 Jun 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2891043)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about Carlos Sainz showing up next year in a Polo and Kris Meeke in a Mini?

I thought that ESPN.com writers would be smarter and list car manufacturers next to the drivers names.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2891542)   #8
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
How about Carlos Sainz showing up next year in a Polo and Kris Meeke in a Mini?
No chance
Old 6 Jun 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2891960)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
Understood that Pat Doran and Petter Solberg are not doing the 2011 PPIHC.
Damn. Guess Liam will have to take the RS200 to X-Games then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
Pitty, as in the US they claim that in 2012 the PP highway will be 100% tarmac.
Yeah, I've read this a few times now. I was also reading that they think they full tarmac course may actually end up slower? As some sections will be considerably narrower when fully tarmac?

Back on topic I hope the rallycross works out at X-Games this year, the theory of a layout in downtown LA certainly sounds like quite a spectacle. Whether people like the presence of rally/rallycross (arguably in diluted form) at X-Games or not, you can't deny its always a good spectacle. I hope the Super Special style rally reverts to its previous incarnation this year, as it came across more like a Gymkhana event than rally last year.

I hope they get a proper lap counter for the rallycross as well...
Old 6 Jun 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2892198)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ken Block's Gymkhana course was much better than the 2010 X Games super stage course, because it had longer straights and faster, longer harpins, so cars drifted a lot. In the X Games, hairpins were very tight and short, so cars run slow and drifted very little.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 04:54 (Ref:2893231)   #11
USRallycross
Racer

United States
From everything I have seen, X Games should be incredible this year and the track should show the cars in the best light to the watching world at the event and on tv.

A little like GRC Round 2 in Snoqualmie the event backdrop of city skyline, etc will feel like Dirt3 and merge reality and virtual life.

I am counting the days!

Mark
Old 10 Jun 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2895019)   #12
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
From everything I have seen, X Games should be incredible this year and the track should show the cars in the best light to the watching world at the event and on tv.
Have you any idea what sort of track layout they are going for with the rallycross (or "Super Rally"?)? Will it be a basic oval type layout like last year, or will they be going for a "proper" layout like the GRC events?
Old 10 Jun 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2895038)   #13
USRallycross
Racer

United States
I believe it will be the same track. Certainly nothing I have seen has any rally/rallycross stuff in an stadium.

Should be really cool and the OMSE Fiestas will be even quicker than have been so far after the test this week! I have a whole new appreciation for Andreas after watching him work close up.

Mark
Old 23 Jun 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2904868)   #14
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder when the entry list is annouced.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2905090)   #15
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I wonder when the entry list is annouced.
I think invites go out over the next fortnight, don't they? (Perhaps USRallycross can confirm that?)
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2908782)   #16
USRallycross
Racer

United States
ESPN have announced 'confirmed' athletes for Rally and RallyCross. Just signed my ESPN Talent Contact so now can't speculate and can only provide facts!

So here you go
Block (Fiesta); Burke (Lancer); Gronholm/Deegan/Foust (Fiesta); Millen/Maddison (Hyundai), Higgins/Mirra/Pastrana (Subaru GR - Travis only in Rallycross); Verdier, Moro, Conley, Keeney (Subaru GD - Moro only SuperRally), Jernberg (Fabia or Scirocco?); Doran (C4?). There are currently 15 in each category. I had heard they wanted 20 cars but will be short notice now to include others.

The 2WD champion also received an invite IF they could compete in an AWD car. I don't Eriksson or van Way on the entry list and not sure of the status.

Anyway, just four weeks to go!!!!!

Mark
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2909186)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Doran got an invite then? Nice one! Wonder what he'll be driving?

Pity Isachsen isn't back this year; the equipment he was provided last year just wasn't up to the job (sorry Subaru, but it wasn't!), but given how much the Impreza GR rallycross car seems to have improved over the last year I was hoping they'd have Isachsen back for another stab at X-Games.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2925635)   #18
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Article about the European drivers.

Liam's bringing his C4, that should be interesting.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2926462)   #19
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Article about the European drivers.

Liam's bringing his C4, that should be interesting.
Would have been better if he was taking the RS200!

Have to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing this - hopefully won't have too much trouble finding some decent coverage of it!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2926703)   #20
USRallycross
Racer

United States
For that were wondering the 16th and final X Games Rally sport has been taken by Dillon van Way who this year competed in a 2WD Ford Focus. As only 4WD cars are allowed at X Games, Dillon is renting the Subaru GD of Tim Rooney. Tim debuted the car at Pikes Peak.

Dillon hasn't competed in a 4WD car before.

So the field is set and the format is set. Just a few weeks before it all goes down in the heart of LA!

Mark
Old 14 Jul 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2926834)   #21
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you got a link for a complete starting list, Mark?
Old 18 Jul 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2927964)   #22
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Slightly clearer circuit map (though without the dirt sections marked) can be found here:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0627/as_x_map.pdf
Old 18 Jul 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2928114)   #23
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Eddi - this is the link and looks correct

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/sum...athletes-rally

All the Subaru drivers are Impreza GD's except Pastrana, Mirra and Higgins who are all in 2011 Impreza GR's

Burke is the only Lancer EVO 9

Maddison/Millen - Hyundai Velosters

Gronholm, Foust, Deegan and Block - Ford Fiesta

Doran - C4 (to be confirmed I believe)

Jernberg - Skoda Fabia

Travis is only racing in rallycross because he is debuting in the NASCAR Nationwide Series event on Saturday in Indianapolis. Pat Moro is running his regular Impreza GD in SuperRally on Saturday

We have a new color scheme (wrap) for the car that we should be able share soon. It was inspired by Marcus (of all people) liking the P51'esq color scheme on Brian Deegan's car at Pikes Peak.....no shark's teeth though but something that should look pretty cool in the sunshine of downtown LA!!

Mark
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2928125)   #24
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
All the Subaru drivers are Impreza GD's except Pastrana, Mirra and Higgins who are all in 2011 Impreza GR's
Have SRT USA got anything to do with the running of Pastrana's car, or is he "on his own" now?

Quote:
Doran - C4 (to be confirmed I believe)
Liam has posted on Facebook that its going to be the C4 so I guess thats fairly certain?
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2928136)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Have SRT USA got anything to do with the running of Pastrana's car, or is he "on his own" now?
Vermont Sportscar(SRT) as far as I know runs the car as usual, the change is that Pastrana just isn't an official Subaru driver anymore.