Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1451464)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oversized on board cameras!?

i noticed on my autosport front cover 2 weeks ago that there was a williams with a REALY big onboard camera, after getting my AS today i seen another williams with the same BIG camera!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1451473)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Could be the cameras they use for promotional stuff.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1451753)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It could be to do with a program which is shown by the "Speed Channel" before each Grand Prix. Inside Grand Prix I think is the name!
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1452012)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, we're unfortunate to get that on Motors TV.

Although to be honest, there isn't that much on-board stuff anyways....it's all computer generated tosh.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1452033)   #5
windsok
Rookie

Australia
wollongong.nsw.au
windsok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume you mean the picture here - http://www.autosport.com/magazine.html

It was taken at the Monza test session in August, after the Turkish Grand Prix.

If you recall, Williams had some major problems with tyre failures at the Turkish Grand Prix, and they were unsure exactly what caused them.

Speculation about the big camera was that it was a ultra high speed camera filiming the interaction of the tyres, to see if they could figure out what caused the failures, as the suspision was that they were rubbing against bodywork.

If you are an autosport subscriber you can see a 1200x800 version here - http://gallery.autosport.com/picture...TN37L044G9Z5-4

Webber was also on track on that day, and he had a normal sized camera, or fake camera as they probobly use in testing.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1452075)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speculation about the big camera was that it was a ultra high speed camera filiming the interaction of the tyres, to see if they could figure out what caused the failures, as the suspision was that they were rubbing against bodywork.

Tripe! its a funny kind of camera that has no lens! thats a solid bit of Carbon. Racecar Engineering suggests that it is the high accuracy QinetiQ GPS system, developed for fighter aircraft and missiles.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1452078)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit if I was going to film the tyres I wouldn't put the camera there (although it depends whatexactly you are looking for and there it is an easy place to put it). I haven't seen a picture of the 'back' of it so couldn't tell if there was a lense or not.

The GPS idea is intriguing. What would it before? Is their data is significantly improved by this? Or is it a test for a technical partner (and why doesn't QinetiQ put it on a Zytek )
Old 4 Nov 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1452090)   #8
windsok
Rookie

Australia
wollongong.nsw.au
windsok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The camera thing was just guesses, so the gps thing is probobly more likely to be true.

The "camera" seemed to come to a point at the back, you can kinda see it here - http://xpb.cc/f1/viewpicture.asp?id=82878

and http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarg...498&catID=1658
Old 4 Nov 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1452093)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes a typical aerodynamic shape.

(and why doesn't QinetiQ put it on a Zytek)
Actually I've seen a QinetiQ presentation that suggests it has, but because there is more space to put stuff inside a prototype its not visible
Old 4 Nov 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1452108)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After I posted that I was thinking about it and the space thing crossed my mind!

I would interested to know what the gain from it. Clearly the improvement in accuracy, but does that accuracy aid the analysis. Or do you just need more memory to store the data
Old 4 Nov 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1452122)   #11
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i recall seeing that on the Williams at the September F1 test at Silverstone.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1452162)   #12
jb59892
Rookie

jb59892 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be it's used to collect more acurate data on body roll, yaw, pitch etc along with more accurate G force data; it seems a bit big to be simply a camera or GPS unit. May be it does all sorts of things?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1452165)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
I think i recall seeing that on the Williams at the September F1 test at Silverstone.
I think it only appeared at the Monza test in August. The only pictures I've seen are Rosberg using it on the second day. On the same day Webber didn't use it.

Here is a good side-on pic for Autosport subscribers: http://gallery.autosport.com/picture...e/l_F0AA3542-4
Old 6 Nov 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1453327)   #14
j_hampton2000
Rookie

j_hampton2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>I think it only appeared at the Monza test in August.

We also saw it used at Silverstone in Sept:
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarg...662&catID=1671

We were listening into the radio communications of several teams that week, and I distinctly remember one of the engineers describing it as an "accelerometer". What I can't remember is which team the engineer was from who was calling it this. It might have been Renault or Toyota.

Jim.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1453810)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is a GPS device I suppose it's easier (and cheaper) to bolt it to an F1 or sportscar for testing under extreme stress than it is to put a plane up in the air for the afternoon as it is easier to swap things about every lap than it is to land every 20 minutes for tweaking.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 03:35 (Ref:1453826)   #16
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks way too big to be a GPS or accelerometer, both of these things can be made to fit easily in a cigarette packet, including batteries. My mobile phone has GPS built in, and Nokia is also building anti-theft accelerometers into prototype phones to perform gait analysis to automatically password your phone if it doesn't recognise the persons walking style. I have no ideas what that huge radar dome thing is if its not a high speed camera.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1454001)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Nah the really high accuracy stuff is sometimes a lot bigger than the low end stuff in a mobile phone (which is accurate to the street you are on but not to the tens of MM or better. However its is a guess.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1454161)   #18
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Nokia is also building anti-theft accelerometers into prototype phones to perform gait analysis to automatically password your phone if it doesn't recognise the persons walking style.
A link to any info on this?

It just seems a bit silly to me. What happens if you start to run for a bus? Will your phone think it is being stolen?
Old 7 Nov 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1454167)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Nah the really high accuracy stuff is sometimes a lot bigger than the low end stuff in a mobile phone (which is accurate to the street you are on but not to the tens of MM or better. However its is a guess.
It is about the right size for a high range gps system IMO.

But they weigh about 5 Kg's so I don't see any use of using such a heavy device so high on the car for testing purposes, what with the huge difference in testing data that you would get when using it as opposed to without it....

I'd rather think it's a high definition camera for PR purposes.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1454235)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ASCII its not a camera IT HAS NO LENS! just to clear that one up. I have images that have not been published of it (but can't post due to copyright), It is solid carbon, no cut outs or anything - so please lets not call it a camera anymore - unless its a special one that can see through carbon fibre!

Why high range GPS? perhaps to assess various drivers in minute detail.

why mount it so high on the car - if it is that size where else can you put it.

5kg up high - tough one that but if you are assesing a driver and not the car it does not matter.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1454352)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
ASCII its not a camera IT HAS NO LENS!
Sorry, didn't read your previous posts.
But why using an advanced GPS system to evaluate drivers, which solely transmits the cars exact position on the track, maybe other than tracking the racing lines that the driver took?
Old 7 Nov 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1454775)   #22
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsy
A link to any info on this?

It just seems a bit silly to me. What happens if you start to run for a bus? Will your phone think it is being stolen?
No, its a well established biometric. There are alogorithms built in to recognise obvious aberrant behaviour such as running for the bus. Besides, all it will do then is prompt for the password before the phone can be used. There is not much info in the public domain just yet, but check these links for some general blurb.

http://phone.ioerror.us/2005/10/futu...s-for-security
http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=v...=news&ID=11443
Old 8 Nov 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1455300)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
agreed ascii hard to understand why - however I have heard of a GPS system that can give exact lines - accel and decel of a car on a track once its calibrated. This system can 'spy' on rival cars and give you at least some idea of their performance (partial telemetry for any car on the track at any time)

but this is all guesswork - really GPS is a guess