Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 May 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3078335)   #2051
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
No, because if he stopped the car , he may not have been able to restart it (see the issue that they had restarting the car due to faulty sensor).
Well I assume he had better odds of stopping before the finish line, and hoping it'd restart, than crossing the finish, hoping it'd restart, and then having to complete another lap(where they could have ran out of fuel).
Old 23 May 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3078338)   #2052
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They may not have run out of fuel. They did not have enough fuel to do a lap at racing speeds, but they most likely could do a lap at slow speed.
Old 23 May 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3078438)   #2053
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
No, because if he stopped the car , he may not have been able to restart it (see the issue that they had restarting the car due to faulty sensor).
I understood they did not have the fuel for another lap, at any speed.
But surely they could have stopped short, then wound it over the line on the starter motor.
Reminds me of people who break dowm in the middle of a main road or mway and don't have the gumption to use the starter motor to get onto the shoulder or verge...
Old 23 May 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3078457)   #2054
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
GT86s won in 2 different classes
Yes, I was just speaking of the Gazoo cars.
Old 23 May 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3078569)   #2055
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
But surely they could have stopped short, then wound it over the line on the starter motor.
Reminds me of people who break dowm in the middle of a main road or mway and don't have the gumption to use the starter motor to get onto the shoulder or verge...
That's what I thought too; I just watched the last 20 minutes of the race again, and the corresponding Radio LeMans coverage, and not John Hindaugh(sp?), but the other main guy, Paul I think, said on that the last lap the Porsche was on was the last lap of it's fuel cycle, 9 laps, meaning Manthey most likely wouldn't have put more in to complete another lap. They said that that Porsche did a 10 lap stint only once in the race before, so assuming they were prepared with enough fuel to complete a 10th lap, is questionable. They said there were a lot of yellows around the track at the time of that 10 lap stint, so a 10th lap at racing speeds would probably spell trouble. Right when the Porsche and Mercedes passed the leading Audi on that last lap, John Hindaugh and Paul said they'd have to do another lap; a 155 lap race for them instead of a 154 lap race, thereby having four cars on the leading lap, instead of the two leading Audis. But some of you were saying that once time expires, once you cross the line, you've finished the race. So John and the other guy saying they'd then need to do another lap, for passing the Audi, wasn't quite true. Passing the Audi was no problem; they'd just have to get close to the finish line, close enough where they could sort of slow down and wait for time to expire.

Watching the coverage though, both cars enter the GP track at speed. With 20 seconds to go on the clock, right after getting on the main straightaway, the Porsche starts to slow down. Why did he slow down at this point is the big question? Intentional, because he thought less time was left on the clock? Or unintentional, as somehow the engine shut off at full racing speed(seems unlikely)? If it was intentional, and he wanted to wait for time to expire before crossing the line, then it's correct to assume he thought he didn't have enough fuel to complete another lap, so he had conceded defeat to the Mercedes, giving up 3rd place, and hoping maybe the Mercedes ran out of fuel on it's 155th lap.

But somehow, in slowing down, according to Marc Lieb, or whoever the interviews were done with, the engine shut off, and I assume in attempting to turn the engine on again, Dumas did not realize his car was coasting, and therefore the car crossed the finish line, thereby then requiring him to do another lap. If he HAD realized where his car was in relation to the finish line, he could have at least braked before the line, and attempt then to get the car restarted, to get it across the finish line.

John Hindaugh says, as the Audi is crossing the finish line, "The Manthey car, big mistake, if he was going to keep his position, he had to stop and not cross the line until the leader crossed the line. Now, he's crossed the line and started lap 155, Paul, but he won't finish it. Paul "He has to cross the finish line in order to finish the race, so he won't be classified". John "If he knew he wouldn't be able to do that last lap, he needed to give it up before he crossed the line and let the winner go across and go behind him(the Audi). At least he would have been able to finish the race. Paul "You will be classified even if you don't cross the line after the checker flag. All cars will be classified, taking into the account the number of complete laps they have covered. So those who complete the same number of laps, the order of which they cross the line, so it doesn't say anything about having to take the checker flag. John "So he's going to finish fourth then?" Paul "Yep". John "So he knew he was giving up fourth place".

So did John and Paul misunderstand the rules then?

In the end, the Manthey Porsche wasn't classified. In fourth place finished the Marc VDS BMW.

Last edited by Ferrari333SP; 23 May 2012 at 23:28.
Old 23 May 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3078577)   #2056
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
So did John and Paul misunderstand the rules then?
Here are the rules: http://www.24h-rennen.de/uploads/med...012_neu_01.pdf
In article 37 it says that cars have to cross the line under their own power within 20 minutes of the winner getting the checkered flag to be classified.

Also, the pitlane exit is closed when the checkered flag goes out, not when the time expires. So they might have been able to get the car in, add a little fuel, and send it on a final lap.
Old 24 May 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3078584)   #2057
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Here are the rules: http://www.24h-rennen.de/uploads/med...012_neu_01.pdf
In article 37 it says that cars have to cross the line under their own power within 20 minutes of the winner getting the checkered flag to be classified.
Yeah that's how I would have expected it.

I didn't realise/remember that they actually passed the leading Audi on that last lap, so clearly he'd already slowed up so as not to do another lap either. So I think while the Merc & Porsche were battling tooth and nail they just forgot all about the end game, until it was too late, then ****ed it up.

Made for an unforgettable finish
Old 24 May 2012, 05:33 (Ref:3078628)   #2058
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Both the Porsche racing report and Manthey report refer to "racing speeds" or "full power".
Old 24 May 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3079004)   #2059
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the overall winner have to cross the finish line first? I heard the flights were being timed seperately, so I would figure that the clock just stopped at 24 hours, and didn't have to wait for the overall winner like at Le Mans.

I want someone to interview Romain Dumas. Specifically:

Could he see a countdown timer or was he just waiting for the checker?
How did he miss the start / finish line?
Was he out of fuel?
Could he have done just a lap of the GP circuit and finish in the pits or refuel and take his last lap (it would have been inside of 20 minutes)?
Old 27 May 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3079749)   #2060
blovell
Rookie

blovell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic 2012 Nurburgring 24hr Video

Just watched an amazing video of the Nurburgring 24hr Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yk0F2hMBOI

It really captured the atmosphere.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3085408)   #2061
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I assume that many of the SP9 entries will partake in the annual trend of not competing in the post 24 hour VLN season to focus on their programmes in their national series and/or Blancpain. Does anyone have any information on who will be sticking around for the rest of the season?
Old 5 Jun 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3085455)   #2062
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix Racing enters two R8 LMS with Stippler/Basseng and Rast/Ludwig.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3086146)   #2063
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klaus Ludwig had to pay 10.000€ after his accident at the 24h with the Gembella-McLaren. He crossed the track to blame the Seat-driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RLg4ePaM30
Old 6 Jun 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3086152)   #2064
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very revealing onboard too. I hope Ludwig stays retired this time.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3086180)   #2065
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
He has always been a pathetic guy, there's a reason he's probably the most hated German driver in history.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3086217)   #2066
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Very revealing onboard too. I hope Ludwig stays retired this time.
Wow. Quite revealing indeed. Any German ten tenthers care to translate what he was shouting?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3086222)   #2067
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The only thing I'm able to understand is "A**hole!!" followed by something else that is numbed out with the commentator talking over it.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3086231)   #2068
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
He has always been a pathetic guy, there's a reason he's probably the most hated German driver in history.
What a bizarre comment.

Three time Le Mans winner, FIA GT Champion, DTM Championships, DRM Champinships............and from my experience an all round good guy, so how is he pathetic?

It is posts like this that give forums a bad name.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3086240)   #2069
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
What a bizarre comment.

Three time Le Mans winner, FIA GT Champion, DTM Championships, DRM Champinships............and from my experience an all round good guy, so how is he pathetic?

It is posts like this that give forums a bad name.
Titles don't make you a respectable human being. Ludwig was always hated, during the DTM years he was constantly booed and despised, I don't know any other driver in the DRM/DTM that was this controversial.

It's nice that you had a positive experience with him but most people can't say the same. His son is of the same breed and on the road to become equally popular.

The video above speaks for itself, the man has absolutely no class and it's always the fault of others with him.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3086275)   #2070
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babapapa View Post
Klaus Ludwig had to pay 10.000€ after his accident at the 24h with the Gembella-McLaren. He crossed the track to blame the Seat-driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RLg4ePaM30
That onboard is insane! Huge hit and a really low-percentage passing spot seemingly from Klaus.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3086631)   #2071
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Any German ten tenthers care to translate what he was shouting?
#%$&§''*! ?%$§$&#*#!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3086648)   #2072
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't see it that way.

The Seat moved to the center and then back over for the bend. I am sure Ludwig felt he was given room and then the door was shut on him. It also looks like it can be two wide through there.

I think it is really just a racing incident.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3086712)   #2073
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
There's pretty much a single line through there and virtually no chance to have a small accident if you get it wrong. Seat could give him room and go off at full speed into the barrier. It's not a straight, but a series of bends over huge undulations where the car would unload a lot and in some places take off. The accident happened when the faster car essentially made a dive into the 2nd apex of a 2-apex corner.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3086782)   #2074
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
The only thing I'm able to understand is "A**hole!!" followed by something else that is numbed out with the commentator talking over it.
I thought that he called the Seat driver an A##hole (maybe twice) but wasnt sure. Whatever he was saying it wasnt exactly an invite for a drink afterwards...
Old 26 Jun 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3098605)   #2075
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
here the Ludwig-onboard on the Gembella-McLaren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNjm08PdA78

remebers me of the rockenfeller-accident