Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 May 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2193038)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one think that had they of been banned at the very start of thier recreation,there would not have been the bad feelings that surround them now.Yes,I know that cars get bent and broken,but to build complete ,brand new versions,there was only one reason behind it.
Old 3 May 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2193043)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just re-read the above,The post is directed at the copy cars,not the current replacements,IE,not continuation.
Old 3 May 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2193053)   #28
chrisks
Rookie

chrisks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a little early to be able to fully understand your posting. Please explain what you mean by copy and are you saying they are not the same as continuation.?
Old 3 May 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2193054)   #29
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What is the difference.The so called contiuation cars are copies of the original.Your Chassis are built by Arch Motors but this does not mean they are the same or does it.?I reckon Old English Marmalade does not taste the same as it did when I was a boy although its made by Chivers
Old 3 May 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2193057)   #30
chrisks
Rookie

If you can find the time to look you would see that my B8 is exactly as they were originally i.e NO T45 or TIG anywhere.Fabrications taken from the original paper drawings.
Old 3 May 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2193060)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Will look and see but you Chris have filled a need as the Organisers are going to let in your cars ,as seen at Donnington ,and in time they will be merged/blurred into one and in my opinion the whole reason for Historic racing has vanished.Its a load of old farts driving quickly, or in most cases slowly, cars with continueous History.I may be wrong and missed the point
Old 3 May 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2193067)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Chris,as I said,I know that original car get bent or broken,replacement components,like any mass produced car do need to be available in order to keep these cars up and running,as long as those components[like yours]are made to original spec!.But,saying that,the racing world would be a happier place if brand new cars were not available"off the shelf".If the Lolas had not been re-created in the first place,would this current trend have gotten to the stage it has now.?
Old 3 May 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2193068)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chris, I'm sure these are great cars built to original specs, but I think the point is that they are new cars and that many of us question whether they should be in historic racing because they are new. They have no historical provenance as rebuilt or restored originals might have.

As a layman with no knowledge of either enterprise, I ask if there is any commercial rapport between you and Vin Malkie, or is it pure commercial competition? Or is it that you cater for separate niches and can co-exist?
Old 3 May 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2193089)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes,exactly John.I reiterate something I posted elsewhere about a car with over fifty years of continuous history and not being able to obtain HTPs for it,yet you can buy a brand new T70,complete with HTP papers.I say that is wrong!!
Old 3 May 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2193118)   #35
chrisks
Rookie

see you all at Silverstone next week
Old 3 May 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2193121)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Its that Monte Carlo job next week .No Chevrons,not so good!

I sold my B8 before all these copies hit the market so leave it to you boys.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2261220)   #37
Graham De Looze
Rookie

Graham De Looze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new arch chassis are different in construction to original chassis in the engine bay
Old 1 Aug 2008, 06:25 (Ref:2261437)   #38
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Are you sure?
Old 1 Aug 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2261564)   #39
Graham De Looze
Rookie

yes, some of the tube joints are different. so it will be easy to determine originality of these cars in a few years and buyers will be able to make up their own mind.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2261586)   #40
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Sure the new type is just a tweak and does not effect performance and I thought they were exact copies made by the same man in Arch Motors.How wrong can you be!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2261612)   #41
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different brazed as oppose to welded, or vice versa? different materials?different stronger? different angles? different how?
Old 1 Aug 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2261718)   #42
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Be easier if they stamped chassis with a C,R or F .That would solve problem in future.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2261725)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Till everyone bought a set of stamps!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2261749)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
? - you wouldn't add a C, R or F to an original car, Terry.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2261750)   #45
Graham De Looze
Rookie

chassis shown at oulton had some tube and joint detail differences.brazing was modern style probably silicon bronze and definatly done with a gas fluxer using methyl borate.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2261782)   #46
chrisks
Rookie

Should they be made from T45 and TIG welded???
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2261802)   #47
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Chris -I assume it not one of yours?Could be an 80's or 90's job
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2261820)   #48
Graham De Looze
Rookie

T45 is not a period material but its not much better than reynolds 531 which has been around since about 1950. TIG was heliarc and been around since 1940 and so is period the gas was helium but later switched to cheaper argon. These tubes and processes were ex aero but still available. in 1966 bsa motorcycles made a titanium framed motorcrosser but it was a flop.your chassis are correct and should be brazed ordinary ERW tube because it was cheap and easy to work and more forgiving.The fabrication on your chassis was of the highest standard. even if you did try these aero tubes and weld processes I doubt it would show up in lap times.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2261822)   #49
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm lost.

The original said "new arch chassis are different in construction to original chassis in the engine bay"

Last post seems to say they are not much different etc.

I have no interest other than to try to follow the discussion and on that I'm really struggling. Can you be concise and clear - what is wrong with the car you saw?

Its getting late here so this could be a good thing to put me to sleep tonight.....
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2261829)   #50
Graham De Looze
Rookie

sorry I only jumped in at post 37 and my observation of the chassis i saw at oulton shown by Kelvin was that it wasnt "exact" there was some obvious fabrication detail differences in the engine bay and therefore are unlikely to be able to be passed off as original some time in the future. The brazed erw tube used is correct and the standard was high.