Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Feb 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1220411)   #1
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coulthard considered Ferrari test role...

Reuters and a few other news sites have picked up on this. Not sure what to say in comment to it except it cements (at least in my mind) DC's passion for racing is genuine and he isn't just grinding out the last few years of his career like some believe.

The Ferrari pay packet must have been bigger than what Jaguar/Red Bull put on the table that's for sure.

I'm a DC fan so I'm glad he stuck to his guns and wasn't lured away from the grid by the world's greatest team.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1220419)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were some good quotes from DC regarding this.

Quote:

“I had the impression that if I had the opportunity to work in that team I would have felt at ease there,”

“So we talked about the possibility of becoming test driver (at Ferrari), but in the end I had the chance to race so it's fine.”

It was always a fall-back option
Old 8 Feb 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1220424)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not exactly an interesting prospect, doing the "dirty work" for the guys that for the past few seasons are your biggest opponents.

But i'm sure Ferrari and DC are professional enough, that they understand the situation and if they really work together, they would work well.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1220447)   #4
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
It's not exactly an interesting prospect, doing the "dirty work" for the guys that for the past few seasons are your biggest opponents.
I'd have thought it was, could have been very interesting.

And would it have placed him in any (more) demand for the following season?
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1220509)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1220546)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have taken the Ferrari job - Barrichello isn't going to last much longer, I don't think...that would have been a good opportunity.

Although having said that DC was attracted to RBR by the thought of being able to work with P&P, two guys he respects.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1220565)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed
And would it have placed him in any (more) demand for the following season?
JV didn't need a year of testing to get two offers to return. And supposedly gifted drivers like Wurz and Badoer have gone into testing roles and never returned - no one approached Gene for 2004 despite his seemingly-impressive efforts at Monza 2003 either. He definitely chose the right option, even if the car isn't going to be great.

Logrence, why would Ferrari replace Rubens with DC? They have a simialr set of strengths and weaknesses, but Rubens has been aprt of their team for years and has a good rapport with them, as well as a total commitment to Ferrari as an organisation and swuad.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 8 Feb 2005 at 16:50.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1220578)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
I would have taken the Ferrari job - Barrichello isn't going to last much longer, I don't think...that would have been a good opportunity.

Although having said that DC was attracted to RBR by the thought of being able to work with P&P, two guys he respects.

DC has been quite open about the fact he knew Purnell and Pitchforth would not be at the team long term when he was discussing joining Red Bull.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1220664)   #9
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC always said that his first priority was to get a race seat for 2005.........even testing for Ferrari would not come above this.

DC's passion for RACING is genuine.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1220678)   #10
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i admire dc for wanting to race instead of just driving, even if he would be driving one of the best cars or racing an unknown quantity. i don't understand a driver who would more rather test than race, even if it means racing outside f1.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1220729)   #11
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

It was always a fall-back option
I guess if he couldn't get a drive, then testing for the best would have been the best result, and maybe doing Le Mans or something else as well
Old 9 Feb 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1220893)   #12
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned up in Brundle's Aston Martin DBR9 once or twice next year.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1220899)   #13
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC will find a home racing in a lower catagory in years to come.

I would say Le Mans, maybe WTCC
Old 9 Feb 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1220917)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think one or two may argue about Le Mans being a "lower category"...

But yes, I'd love to see DC make an appearance there sometime.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1220971)   #15
Kev_205
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Kev_205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
going to a test role would have effectively written off a race drive chance in the future
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1221689)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Wurz cannae be all that chuffed with Mclaren, I would've thought, although Ron is good as gettting people to feel wanted.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1221702)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Ron Dennis often publicly says Wurz is a key part of the team, and I'm sure he's very well paid.

He also looks and sounds much happier than he did at Benetton
Old 10 Feb 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1221921)   #18
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
I think one or two may argue about Le Mans being a "lower category"...

But yes, I'd love to see DC make an appearance there sometime.
Anyone who knows anything about Le Mans will know that it's worth 2 or 3 Formula 1 wins. The driver makes the difference, he has to have amazing stamina over the course of the race, and drive in completely different conditions, with no hardware making it easier for him, and much more complex strategic considerations. The only areas in which is doesn't match F1 are prestige and prize money.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1221933)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not quite borne-out by the experience though is it, N I T?Plenty of not-quite F1 drivers succeed in Sports Cars, but never the other way around.

And - no hardware making it easy? What does that mean? Sports cars have downforce a-plenty, and I would also imagine they would have the kind of undectable TC (ie clever engine management) that F1 had before they gave up on banning it.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1221950)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too would argue against Le Mans being a lower category. Just a different one. Although I wouldn't dispute the standard of drivers in F1 is higher.

It is just different. Variety and endurance are the beauty in sportscars. F1 is about ultimate pace. Although both are usually won in the pitstops! This is all off topic, so it is probably best left at that, but I've never been one to have to prove one branch of motorsport is better than the other. The differences are good for both.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1222261)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
KB, that I do not doubt. I mean him being passed over for Kima nad then for Juan. Apparently not quite key enough. Just figured that may have, um, disappointed Wurz somewhat.

With regards the Le Mans/F1 thing. They are totally different branches of motorpsort, I don't see how any particularly valid comparisons can be made really.....
Old 10 Feb 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1222324)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
KB, that I do not doubt. I mean him being passed over for Kima nad then for Juan. Apparently not quite key enough. Just figured that may have, um, disappointed Wurz somewhat.
I think Alex was realistic enough to know that while he's an excellent driver, he's not from the absolute top drawer - and the job he has now is well suited to a technical minded driver like him.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1222342)   #23
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could have understood the urge to drive for Ferrari, but to test for your main opponent after McLaren offered a well paid test drive seat. I guess he was a bit bitter after all.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1222449)   #24
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
No Paarma, I think that if he had been bitter or vindictive he would have taken the Ferrari job just to stick it up Ron.
His decision not to do so but to race for a second (or third?) string team just shows the strength of character DC has, and his genuine love of racing.
If the Red Bull car is any good he may score a few more points this year than he did last year, and that would be good for Red bull and the sport as a whole.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 04:32 (Ref:1222650)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
It would be very stupid to make such career decisions based on such petty notions as "getting back" at a former employer. DC isn't stupid.