Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 9 May 2002, 03:14 (Ref:280691)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Solo 2 event...

I really enjoyed it !...until my power steering started making noises . The fluid was low. I managed 2 runs . The first was a DNF . The second was better ,but not too quick.
We had about sixty cars show up, and the cones took a beating !!
The course was quite challenging and gave the cars a go workout..
I'm looking forward to the next event !

Alan
Old 11 May 2002, 04:07 (Ref:282345)   #2
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're making quite a habit of this sort of thing--now I must really ask, did you put your snowtires on for it? (today on the radio, they said that Winnipeg got a dump too)

How long was the course layout, meaning, what sort of times did you have? I imagine that a WRX suburu would be the ideal sort of car for a pylon layout, with the point and squirt aspect being a big advantage.
Old 16 May 2002, 01:31 (Ref:287713)   #3
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
No, snow tires were not required !! The course layout was in and around the 1/2 mile oval and it's infield. Each run lasted between 50-70 seconds. There were some WRX's , and they did quite well . Having lots of power was not much help, as I found out. I went in way to hot into one corner, locked up the fronts, and slid into a bunch of cones !!
A small, light, agile car with good brakes works the best in Solo 2 .

The next event is tonight, but I have to work .
I have to wait til 05 June for the next one...

Last year I went drag racing quite often, but after a certain movie came out, the staging lanes filled up with 18 second Honda's .
So this year I'm trying autocrossing instead..

Alan

Last edited by fast95pony; 16 May 2002 at 01:34.
Old 16 May 2002, 20:41 (Ref:288331)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Call me an ignorant Brit, but what is a Solo 2 Event- sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 16 May 2002, 22:13 (Ref:288418)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Call me an ignorant Canadian, if not for the context, I would have said it was a canoeing event.
Old 17 May 2002, 01:24 (Ref:288501)   #6
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
Solo 2 is a timed event . It usually is held in a large parking lot (car park.., or at a local race track. ) A course is laid out using orange cones . The object is to drive as quick as possible through the course without hitting the cones . The course is set up to test the drivers skill, with increasing and decreasing radius turns, a slalom , etc . Speeds are normally low . Max is about 80 kms/hr. The course changes at each event and you are given 4 runs . Each run is against the clock .
It's a grass roots type of event . At my event there were about 60 cars taking part.

Solo 1 is similar , but uses a bigger course , faster times , better prepared cars etc...

Hope this help to explain it !!

Alan
Old 17 May 2002, 19:11 (Ref:289099)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds similar to autotesting. Does the course include things like reversing into marked bays?
Old 18 May 2002, 04:41 (Ref:289283)   #8
djb
Veteran

Alan, when I was a teenager in Ottawa, I used to go with friends over to the Carleton University parking lots to watch this sort of thing going on. Was the first time I ever saw "racing" and we loved watching it. Perhaps when I get out of driving mostly "poopbox" sedans I'll do some myself, as it looks like good bang value for the buck and relatively low car prep--probably just rotors, pads and tires once in a while.