Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Jan 2003, 20:52 (Ref:472423)   #1
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
F1 Awards 11/1/2003

Hi All

I recall there was a message thread on this forum where someone suggested putting forward the marshals for one of the categories of the "Bernies", the F1 equivalent to the Oscars.

Well, marshals & officals were indeed in a category for "Outstanding Contributions", against Herbie Blash and Charlie Whiting.

Well, guess what - it went to one of Bernie's men (amid some boo-ing it has to be said, in support of the marshals)! Charlie even seemed to get all embarrassed and actually said something along the lines of the fact that its the marshals that deserved it.

Or shouldn't I have been surprised .....................!

Steve
Old 13 Jan 2003, 18:08 (Ref:473272)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well in fairness Steve, at least the nomination was put in as promised.

If that was the reaction it received, then who knows - maybe we'll get it next year!
Old 13 Jan 2003, 19:07 (Ref:473334)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the fact that Marshals were nominated and the nomination read out is a huge step forward. Well done to EP I think?

From little acorns...
Old 13 Jan 2003, 23:30 (Ref:473452)   #4
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excuse me guys but.......... do I take it that Marshals were mentioned in the same sentence as F1 ??? How did this come about???

Please excuse me if I missed something but it's not as if this happens very often except for......

"What, .........Marshals?????????????"
Old 14 Jan 2003, 15:08 (Ref:473959)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi Stu - there was a thread about this but I can't find it anywhere now

Basically, CDN Girl said that it would be a good idea to get the marshals nominated for "the most outstanding contribution to Formula 1" in the Bernie awards this year. I thought it was such a good idea I wrote to Mr. Ecclestone about it. He very nicely wrote back and said that he'd put the nomination in.

I have a letter from Bernie where the last sentance states that F1 could not run without marshals - and it's signed!

Incidentally, can anyone tell me what happened to the original thread? I can't find it anywhere. If it's been removed can someone tell me why?

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 14 Jan 2003 at 15:08.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 21:37 (Ref:474439)   #6
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well CDN Girl certainly made a good contribution at USGP, and was one of the guys who made my job so easy, I would have voted for the marshals.
Thanks all, and have a beer instead
Old 15 Jan 2003, 19:57 (Ref:475480)   #7
cdn girl
Rookie

cdn girl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think all of EP's hard work paid off.We may not have won but we were noticed.Which is a good thing.Harder for them to forget about us that way.

I had a great time last year too, racegypsy..but know I'm looking for a cheap hotel for this year
anybody got any ideas????

P.S.
I won't tell anyone about your moped driving skills!!!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 20:22 (Ref:475511)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cdn girl, I presume that you are looking for cheap in Indianapolis. We used this chain for our stay in Houston and it was superb.

http://www.intownsuites.com/locations/state.asp[/URL]
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:48 (Ref:477601)   #9
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cdn girl

I had a great time last year too, racegypsy..but know I'm looking for a cheap hotel for this year
anybody got any ideas????

P.S.
I won't tell anyone about your moped driving skills!!!
Blueflagger booked the cheapie hotel for us out by the airport, good basic and cheap, with an easy ride in and out from the circuit. But that was 2 couples sharing. .
As she works as my travel agent for my US trips she will probably still have the details.

You won't havre to worry about the moped skills this year, as US visa restrictions will not let me back in after the summer trip .
Old 20 Jan 2003, 15:22 (Ref:480031)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ok, I have to hold my hand up. In an effort to do some 'housework' within the forum I deleted the original thread a few weeks ago. My reasoning was to make some extra space available on the server. Craig has informed me it makes no difference whatsoever and so I apologise for my actions. Unfortunately the thread cannot be recovered once it has been deleted
Old 20 Jan 2003, 16:50 (Ref:480123)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
that's ok *sob* I understand that I'm expendable.....
Old 20 Jan 2003, 21:11 (Ref:480454)   #12
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
should that have been 'expandable'?
Old 20 Jan 2003, 22:47 (Ref:480586)   #13
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
You obviously know how to flatter the women ................
Old 21 Jan 2003, 08:54 (Ref:480830)   #14
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You know me.......charm personified!
Old 21 Jan 2003, 09:02 (Ref:480840)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Gee what's that cracking noise? Could it be the thin ice you're treading on.......?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 13:31 (Ref:481043)   #16
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
He'll be applying rescue training procedures on himself if he doesn't watch out!!!!!!

No wonder he sits all race day in a Medic car on his own .........!

Oops - training day in 3 weeks time, he'll have time to serve retribution! H-E-L-P, I don't have a leg to stand on!!!!!!!! :-))
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:36 (Ref:481219)   #17
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teletubby
should that have been 'expandable'?
Dont worry EP some of us still Wuv u !!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 02:08 (Ref:483090)   #18
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gypsy, I can't earn enough money as your travel agent if you don't travel here more often.

CDN Girl, last year we stayed at the Airport Dollar Inn. Phone 317-486-1100. It's more run down than the "official hotel" but was cheaper and the people were kinder. The manager even knocked the price down when he found out we were race volunteers ($50 US per night instead of $60). The catch? I had to pay the full fee in advance to reserve the rooms. I was leery of that but they sent a letter of receipt.

It wasn't glamorous by a long shot but we were only there to sleep and shower.

CDN, do you have pictures of Gypsy on the moped? Or rather, off the moped? I only heard about it.