Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jan 2003, 01:36 (Ref:483064)   #1
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart

Well this one is for those more educated in overseas Motorsports. With CART being at Brands Hatch in May and as I understand it they have their own Marshals, What will us Brit Marshals do for the three hours of the race. Possibly whith 20/30 CART single seaters thundering round the Indy Circuit running for cover might be more sensible. Paddock Hill bend will be fun I am sure. And Clearways will be busy if its raining, with the usual river coming off the Grand Prix Circuit. Can't wait.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 23 Jan 2003, 02:22 (Ref:483101)   #2
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a lot of changes going on for the CART observers right now. We recently received notice of personnel changes and the fact that CART will be moving back towards working with SCCA marshal licensing instead of creating their own licenses.

We've been told to hold tight and wait for more information, but in the meantime, could we all please apply to work St. Pete as they are desperate for workers?

I can't imagine they won't need local marshals, though there might be a limited number of spots available.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 02:23 (Ref:483102)   #3
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, wasn't clear on that.

I can't imagine they won't need local marshals at Brands though they might limit the numbers to less than you are used to.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 08:10 (Ref:483219)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
BARC have sent out the revised availability forms for the CART/BTCC meeting and so my guess is a certain number of us will be needed. It rather depends too on whether CART bring their own marshals or rely on the UK marshals in order to keep costs to a minimum.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 09:27 (Ref:483261)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be going to Brands on the Monday but only as a spekky cause I'm taking my young lad..(He will be 8 by then)..
Who can give me the best directions from the M25..
I am coming from the Midlands and will be travelling clockwise on the "Road To Hell"..
Old 23 Jan 2003, 09:38 (Ref:483268)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
goin to long beach(hopefully) and doin brands after that too- if they need me!!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 09:43 (Ref:483271)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Over the QE Bridge, past the M2 and M20 turn offs. Take the exit signposted A20 (there's a Brands Hatch sign as well). Head south on the A20 and BH is on your left after about 2-3 miles.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 12:47 (Ref:483410)   #8
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would also work the other way, what are the CART boys (and girls) going to do while the BTCC is on?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 12:52 (Ref:483416)   #9
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blackx, you'd be lucky if you get anywhere on the M25, let alone hell!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 15:35 (Ref:483611)   #10
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scorch, why would we do anything different during the BTCC than we do during CART? I mean, aside from switching flag rules. I can't see a marshal of any kind walking away from the station during a session.

Or maybe you're thinking we'll do what we did in Mexico and just "stand down" from the headsets for the support races. That was fun -- the Mexican marshals ran the show and I got to flag, run response, back them up on the landline when their radio failed... it was a nice break in the day.

The designated CART communicator often stands down for support sessions at North American races too. At the Toronto Indy last year I got to flag the Formula Fords while someone else gave my ears a rest.

keke
Old 23 Jan 2003, 17:37 (Ref:483704)   #11
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART man their posts much the same way that we do except CART safety does their hero act on track. However, they used course marshals as extra eyes and ears on track. They also need course marshals to asist with pull-offs and the like. It's really quite good watching highly paid doctors and so on mooving tyres back into position and sweeping up! Plus they will need at least 2 flaggers per post, thats 15 communicators at least and 26 flag and about 60 "response" and I can't see CART bringing more than they did last year (6 observers, I think). Does anyone know what else BARC have lined up besides CART and the Bash & Crash brigade?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 20:53 (Ref:483832)   #12
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Over the QE Bridge, past the M2 and M20 turn offs. Take the exit signposted A20 (there's a Brands Hatch sign as well). Head south on the A20 and BH is on your left after about 2-3 miles.
Not forgetting the traffic around Brands will almost certainly be a nightmare!

Chris
Old 24 Jan 2003, 07:55 (Ref:484232)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yup, allow plenty of time to get there!
Old 24 Jan 2003, 09:29 (Ref:484283)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yup, allow plenty of time to get there!
...and even more to get out afterwards...
Old 24 Jan 2003, 11:29 (Ref:484354)   #15
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might just pitch the tent and not bother going home until the last day. Less hassle with traffic and I can also enjoy a beer in the Kentagon
Old 24 Jan 2003, 11:55 (Ref:484377)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I'll have to see where I am living by then, so might be joining you Alan
Old 24 Jan 2003, 17:16 (Ref:484740)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do you really think that a Northern Marshal such as I would get a look in at the CART event. BARC normally have their favourites for the big meetings, and that doesn't usually extend any further north than Dartford!
Old 24 Jan 2003, 17:17 (Ref:484742)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Do you really think that a Northern Marshal such as I would get a look in at the CART event. BARC normally have their favourites for the big meetings, and that doesn't usually extend any further north than Dartford!
Old 24 Jan 2003, 17:29 (Ref:484753)   #19
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well I'd expect any sane marshals' club to give preference to their regular marshals before they let in anyone else. Because the next week, when the rest of us are all back at our regular circuits, they still have to run the less glamourous events.

So yes, on that basis, I would expect them to use the people who show up for the **** events as well as the cool ones first and then allocate additional places after that. After all, if your own club/circuit dumped you in favour of outside marshals when a desirable event came their way, you'd have plenty to say about it.

In fairness to BARC, I put the names of our group in last week and we've just received our volunteering forms. So we'll see what happens from there. If I don't get to go, I don't get to go. I won't be getting snotty about it.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 15:11 (Ref:485586)   #20
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
You'll have to come and watch the Superbikes instead of traipsing down to London.

I was surprised that there wasn't an Oulton/Anglesey meeting at Anglesey that weekend - perhaps the event's scheduler new something which we didn't.

Old 26 Jan 2003, 00:01 (Ref:485978)   #21
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come to a MRO meeting and watch some real Action
Old 26 Jan 2003, 09:07 (Ref:486226)   #22
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if CART/BARC will have the same policy on trainee marshals that the F1 circus has (i.e. they're not allowed to volunteer).

If they don't then I might send my BARC availability form back!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 10:58 (Ref:486269)   #23
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wiggles, I would apply for the CART/BTCC meeting. There is alot of speculation over the marshalling of this event and the truth is no one knows what is going to happen untill BARC decide what they are going to do. So don't throw out your BARC form volunteer and wait like the rest of us.
Rich S
Old 26 Jan 2003, 17:50 (Ref:486592)   #24
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
ive talked to cart and the scca and they will need marshals. how many i dont know. ill find out more at long beach.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 19:46 (Ref:486684)   #25
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the directions guys..
Will be leaving the Midlands at around 5am so hope to be down there for 7-30/8-00am..