Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 23 Sep 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1414721)   #1
P51Mustang
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton
P51Mustang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irish Formula Ford drivers

From my observations of races and results it seems the Irish are quicker Formula Ford drivers. Peter Dempsey humbles everyone at English circuits but not so in Ireland against fellow countrymen. Why are they so much quicker? Is it the cars? Is it Irish engine builders? Or is it purely that Ireland is like Brazil in that the country seems to produce fast drivers?
Old 23 Sep 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1414905)   #2
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P51Mustang
...is it purely that Ireland is like Brazil in that the country seems to produce fast drivers?
I might not be impartial enough to answer this question!!!
Old 23 Sep 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1415123)   #3
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or is it purely that Ireland is like Brazil in that the country seems to produce fast drivers?
And England doesn't? You have only named one Irish example. On subject though, Charlie Donnelly is looking very handy this year in Zetec.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1415126)   #4
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it the cars?
Also, how can the cars make Irish drivers go much quicker?!
Old 23 Sep 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1415155)   #5
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gavin is on pole for tomorrows race

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 24 Sep 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1415629)   #6
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some Irish lads show us English how its sometimes done!!!!

Edgar did it last year, came over for one race and won by like 20 secs, and that was to Roberts!!
Dempsey, setting the standard as this years pace setter in MSV, + won MT Heat 1 by 20 secs.
Tannahill going quick in the NWFF, if he contests next year could be a serious title contender.
Kris Loane, rising star, but needs more experience (ie, 1/2 - full season) to then be really quick.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1415678)   #7
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speaking as an Englishman who's just raced in Northern Ireland this year, I have to say that standards in Ireland are tough. There are probably just as many stars in the English championships but look how many championships there are. In Ireland theres the Northern championship and the southern championship and that's it.
To me there appears to be the same names that crop up such as Edgar, Dempsey (All 3 of them), Tannahill, Dunne, Nev Smyth and Loane(who let's face it, he's had some rotten luck this year)
These drivers although hard tough, but fair, drivers have provided fantastic close racing this year and I think there is a mutual respect between them that helps with the close racing. This can't help but to sharpen their skills, so when visiting tracks such as Oulton Park, they can give as good as they get and it doesn't seem to phase them.

......Speaking of FAIR............did anybody get a picture of Schiller punting me off at Fisherman's???????...........There was nothing fair in that!

Bjorn if you're reading this..........What the hell were you thinking? ??????????????

Going to bed now TIRED, BITTER and TWISTED!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1416209)   #8
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Edgar did it last year, came over for one race and won by like 20 secs, and that was to Roberts!"

Don't mean to be picky, but got to stick up for myself on this one. In the one race I raced against Mike Edgar at Oulton last year, I span on the first lap and came back from 16th or something. Don't think it would have been the same if I had kept it on the black stuff, but I didn't so who knows. The car only had two wheels after that race so I didn't make the second of the day.

I seem to remember out-qualifying him by 0.6 secs though!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1416281)   #9
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50-SIX
"Edgar did it last year, came over for one race and won by like 20 secs, and that was to Roberts!"

Don't mean to be picky, but got to stick up for myself on this one. In the one race I raced against Mike Edgar at Oulton last year, I span on the first lap and came back from 16th or something. Don't think it would have been the same if I had kept it on the black stuff, but I didn't so who knows. The car only had two wheels after that race so I didn't make the second of the day.

I seem to remember out-qualifying him by 0.6 secs though!
0.6 secs..........Mike hadn't been to Oulton in 12 years!

50-six - Why don't you go over for the festival next year and take Mike on at his home circuit? - Anyone else want to go?
I'll be going over for it.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1416425)   #10
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've seen, it seems bigger business in Ireland.

There seems to be a lot more invested in it and it seems to be the main breeding ground for young Irish talent. In England, Formula Ford as a starter category has been hit by the likes of Formula BMW/Renault which has diluted some of the talent out of it. So when the Irish lads come over the water, you really are getting the cream of the Irish crop...
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1416532)   #11
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
From what I've seen, it seems bigger business in Ireland.

There seems to be a lot more invested in it and it seems to be the main breeding ground for young Irish talent. In England, Formula Ford as a starter category has been hit by the likes of Formula BMW/Renault which has diluted some of the talent out of it. So when the Irish lads come over the water, you really are getting the cream of the Irish crop...
Good point Walshy, since formula Ireland died a death it would appear to be the case, however, there are large formula V and formula Sheane grids over there too. They have some good peddlers also.

Formula BMW and Formula Renault need much larger budgets so I would doubt that many who would like to step up could actually get the funding together. So that would surely keep at least some of the English cream in the Formula Fords, wouldn't it?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1416672)   #12
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some quick kids knocking about in FF1600.

I would like to see someone like Andy Meyrick in a newer bit of kit. I dare say he might give some of the Irish lads a run in a similar car. Tom Doe is getting quicker and then you have the likes of Chiz who is still learning his game. You could throw Dave Marshall in there as well. The difference being budgets though. Just look at Pete D. He practically lives in his car. He is an exceptional talent though and there is no disputing that. I would like to see how he fairs if he moves up to the likes of Formula BMW or Renault though. I think these are a much leveller playing field than FF1600. I never used to, but then all the cars have less power than grip making them easier than a Formula Ford to drive (or so I have been informed by lads that have driven them) and they are all engineered by the best in the business, so the cars are always spot on when you get in them. So to stand out head and shoulders above everyone else in one of those, you must be a little bit special. Sam Bird springs to mind!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1416678)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Been there, done that. Pete's already done FBMW remember, and I wouldn't think that there is much chance of him doing that again.

Add David Mayes to the list of young quickies, too.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1416863)   #14
Ill at ease
Rookie

Ill at ease should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have been interesting to see how Pete would have gone in a second year of BMW, especially as he was at least as quick as this year's title contenders Bird and Smith (overtaking the latter on the outside of the Old Hairpin was one of his best moves). But Pete was on a very limited budget and jumped into the car straight from FF1600 in the middle of the season, so he didn't have the best preparation. Plus the BMW has a lot of grip and not much power, so the series is all about driving very smoothly, not wasting momentum with oversteer, and qualifying well because overtaking is so difficult at most tracks. None of which suited Pete's style. Perhaps Palmer Audi will be more to his taste?

I think the fact that FF1600 is the main choice for Ireland's top young (and not so young) drivers is the primary reason for the competitiveness of the racing. Budget doesn't come into it. There are English drivers spending more and going slower. Admittedly, Pete has had a huge amount of racing mileage this year, but he beat Steve Roberts, Ed Moore, John Loebell, Richard Tannahill and others in his first ever English FF1600 race last July, so he was naturally quick even without that additional mileage and experience. Similarly, Kris Loane qualified with Mike Edgar and Tannahill for his first ever race at the start of the year. Naturally quick Irish drivers head for FF1600. Naturally quick English drivers head for slicks and wings... or presumably just give up on their racing ambitions if they don't have a BMW/Renault sized budget.

I also agree with pretty much everything that "heel'n'toe-no" has written in this thread.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1417206)   #15
50-SIX
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heel'n'toe-no
0.6 secs..........Mike hadn't been to Oulton in 12 years!

50-six - Why don't you go over for the festival next year and take Mike on at his home circuit? - Anyone else want to go?
I'll be going over for it.
I think I took him on at the festival in 2003 in my first full year and beat him there, and it was my first time at that circuit!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1417263)   #16
50-SIX
Racer

Jesting aside, another young Irishman by the name of Charlie Donnelley tied up the UK Formula Ford C'ship at Snett at the weekend. Congrats on a job well done. He's probably still celebrating now!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1418145)   #17
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
I think I took him on at the festival in 2003 in my first full year and beat him there, and it was my first time at that circuit!
Mmmmm yes that's right - Mike had a poorly engine in qualifying but still made the final, albeit starting from 24th on the grid. After 3 re-starts and Mike being sent back the places he had made up on each previous lap, I do remember that you beat him over the line by a nosecone............Where did you start on the grid again????

I hope your doing the festival this year, I can't wait to see this re-match

Ding ding round THREE!!!!!!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1418176)   #18
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mmmmm yes that's right - Mike had a poorly engine in qualifying but still made the final, albeit starting from 24th on the grid. After 3 re-starts and Mike being sent back the places he had made up on each previous lap, I do remember that you beat him over the line by a nosecone............Where did you start on the grid again????

Think Steve's Zetec engine might give him an advantage

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 27 Sep 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1418187)   #19
50-SIX
Racer

Quote:

10sec or 0.001sec, unfortunately for some it doesn't matter which, they have still been beat!

I am doing the Zetec class at the festival, but if I have any budget left to be in a decent car at the WHT I will be doing that, so hopefully see you there.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1418260)   #20
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes we're like the Brazilians
Old 27 Sep 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1418308)   #21
Me and My Swift
Rookie

Ireland
Meath
Me and My Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athgoe Racing
Nev ill let you be the Irish Piquet jnr!
Old 27 Sep 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1418312)   #22
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athgoe Racing
Says he with his name about to get engraved on a famous trophy (along with the name of THAT Brazilian!)

Well done Nev!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1419199)   #23
Me and My Swift
Rookie

Ireland
Meath
Me and My Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
10sec or 0.001sec, unfortunately for some it doesn't matter which, they have still been beat!

I am doing the Zetec class at the festival, but if I have any budget left to be in a decent car at the WHT I will be doing that, so hopefully see you there.
We have a not so bad car available for WHT, it is a white Swift SC92 and we would love to run you, if you really want to do it give us a call.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1419321)   #24
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with Athgo Racing, the Irish lads are like Brazilians I was impressed with the Irish bunch generally (at the A1GP races), but David Mayes deserves a big mention. I wonder how he'd have done if starting at the front and with a similar car to the front-runners'. Pete D is the top "Brazilian" for me though.. he was noticeably quicker into Clearways (or is it Clark Curve?) than anyone. BTW Pete, I'd love to try your Swift at the WHT, but my pocket money is needed for my engine rebuild
Old 28 Sep 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1419441)   #25
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to try Pete's Swift too, but as I keep telling Cliff, he'll never get the chassis straight again....