Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Oct 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3325615)   #2926
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Well, I rather believe that Article 5.4.1 of the 2014 Technical Regulations explicitly allows VGTs, or "devices needed for control of (...) exhaust turbine geometry":
Thank you.

At first, I didn't quite understand exactly how that regulation worked, but when reading it, I realized it basically covers the exhaust just like Article 5.4.3 coverts the intake. On the intake there is no allowances for something like variable manifolds or intake trumpets, but on the exhaust, it looks like 5.4.1 does allow VGT on the exhaust turbine. Oddly enough, I think there is additional room for a designer to play with regarding the "charging system" allowance.

Lastly, I know enough to be dangerous on this topic, but I assume they are using a 4 cyl to reduce friction. And with low revs you are also reducing friction. What is state of the art regarding low RPM turbo engines? Typically the goal is high revs to produce power. But here the goal is efficiency with a given fuel flow and not ultimate power regardless of fuel flow. I wonder if they have found some efficiency magic with a low rev turbo engine? Also, I know large displacement fours are not the best, but does this particularly have to be a low displacement (2L +/-) engine? Could it be bigger than that?

Richard
Old 31 Oct 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3325625)   #2927
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
On the intake there is no allowances for something like variable manifolds or intake trumpets, but on the exhaust, it looks like 5.4.1 does allow VGT on the exhaust turbine.
As a matter of fact, variable intake manifold and trumpets are allowed pursuant to Article 5.4.3 of the 2014 rules, in contrast to what the current rules provide.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3325627)   #2928
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VAG has become very good at producing small displacement turbo engines.
The new Golf, features a 1,4L I4 TSI engine with 122, 140 and 160 (in the Passat). The Rev limiter is at 6000rpms. A very quick and fuel efficient engine.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3325628)   #2929
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
VAG has become very good at producing small displacement turbo engines.
The new Golf, features a 1,4L I4 TSI engine with 122, 140 and 160 (in the Passat). The Rev limiter is at 6000rpms. A very quick and fuel efficient engine.
it's fuel efficient if you don't drive too enthusiastically. Otherwise, it's just as fuel (in)efficient as any other 160 hp petrol engine driven hard.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3325629)   #2930
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
it's fuel efficient if you don't drive too enthusiastically. Otherwise, it's just as fuel (in)efficient as any other 160 hp petrol engine driven hard.
Of course! Thats the wonderful of modern engines - Power when you need it, efficiency when you don't .

But back to the point.
A low rev, small displacement VGT engine will fit the same description and could give Porsche the possibility of better strategies (fx. running full power at night with cooler temperatures, and "fuel saving" in the day)
Old 31 Oct 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3325648)   #2931
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Wow, I spend half a day off the forum and I miss this!

I'm not too enthusiastic about the sound, but I agree with GfJ... it looks absolutely brilliant. I haven't officially been approved to Mulsanne's Corner yet... does anyone have a flyby video that isn't hosted through the group?

EDIT: Never mind, thanks deggis. Very cool.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 02:20 (Ref:3325771)   #2932
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
As a matter of fact, variable intake manifold and trumpets are allowed pursuant to Article 5.4.3 of the 2014 rules, in contrast to what the current rules provide.
Not sure how I read that backwards. I find it interesting that variable valve timing and lift is not allowed but variable manifold and trumpets are. And that they allow it on the intake side, but not on the exhaust side.

Richard
Old 1 Nov 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3325779)   #2933
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
2.0L V4 with electric e-Turbo?

The electric motor has the same effect as a VGT by spooling the turbine in low pressure situations and when not needed the electric motor becomes a generator to charge the batteries.Also that would make the powerplant more efficent because you wouldn't need a waste-gate(the energy is turn to e-power instead of beaning released out the waste-gate).
I had thought of this too,... But the regs say that any power to an induction system must come from the main engine power circuit and not the ERS circuit
Old 1 Nov 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3325846)   #2934
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Hartley, Dumas & Bernhard were the drivers at Monza:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111020

Quote:
Long-time Porsche driver Marc Lieb, who is in line for the second vacant seat, was not present at the test, and is likely to drive the Porsche coupe at Paul Ricard later this month.

A Porsche spokesman explained that the team did not want to have both potential drivers at the same test to "avoid competition between them".
Old 1 Nov 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3325944)   #2935
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
It's a 14 liter V4 with the best truck technology there is
Old 1 Nov 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3325959)   #2936
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is a 2014 F1 1.6L V6 Power Unit allow in 2014 P1?

They wouldn't use a 2014 F1 1.6L V6 Power Unit because it revs to high...15,000 rpm limiter with shift point at 11,000-12,000 because of the fuel meter max flow at 10,500 rpm.

But a 2.0L V4 Power Unit with a shift point in the 6000-7000 rpm range would work and it would have less friction and would be more fuel effcient.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3326018)   #2937
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. Technically it is but, extremely unlikely. Porsche have no F1 involvement anyway.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3326105)   #2938
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Stumbled across this...

http://www.andwerndesign.com/porsche-wec-2014/

Interesting...
Old 1 Nov 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3326107)   #2939
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/hartley-tests-p...rticle/318917/

Hartley tests the LMP1
Old 1 Nov 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3326127)   #2940
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Stumbled across this...

Interesting...
Kind of nice, but...

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 2 Nov 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3326275)   #2941
FGE
Rookie

Germany
Lüneburg
FGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Stumbled across this...

Interesting...
Looks like the Yuppie-aera of the 90ies has still not end.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3326296)   #2942
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Stumbled across this...

Interesting...
Does anyone else see "P. Pilet" on the right set of drivers listed on the garage wall coverings? I can't imagine he'd be in the running for a seat...
Old 2 Nov 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3326298)   #2943
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Does anyone else see "P. Pilet" on the right set of drivers listed on the garage wall coverings? I can't imagine he'd be in the running for a seat...
It's a fan-made rendering, it's NOT OFFICIAL.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3326316)   #2944
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Still quite cool, however.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 16:55 (Ref:3326338)   #2945
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What kind of aero numbers can we expect from a car like this in LeMans configuration? Do the experts here think this car will get into the 2500 Kg of DF with say a L/D in the 6.5 region with the new regs.?
Old 2 Nov 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3326339)   #2946
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back to the power plant theories...

I just read in Automobile that the Porsche variant of the VW XL1 will be powered by a turbo'd flat 4 (210hp). What do you all think are the chances that the LMP1 car might have some variation of this engine?

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 3 Nov 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3326682)   #2947
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/wec/jani-exc...-with-porsche/

Not a whole lot of new info, but Jani says that it's hard to compare driving his old Lola with the new Porsche
Old 4 Nov 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3327027)   #2948
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Not to mention that it's an Audi R18 in fantasy Porsche colours...
Old 4 Nov 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3327055)   #2949
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Not to mention that it's an Audi R18 in fantasy Porsche colours...
lol yeah. Altough I did think how it looks so familiar with the R18 Ultra but I was only thinking about the colors...
Old 4 Nov 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3327069)   #2950
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Same here ..... was thinking how woeful the livery is ..... then thought it kinda looked very Audi-ish .

Also , no title sponsor of Mobil and at least some Red Bull on it too ..... It sounds pretty ok in this picture too !!!