Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Mar 2003, 14:55 (Ref:532728)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz livery

Livery is a touchy subject but we can all agree that the new Panoz(jml) livery is the makings of good stuff, similar to the Visteon cars, of course much improved over the all red, or american flag version...see the pic at sorry i don't know how to add links yet.
at Dailysportscar.net-----March 10 update.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:03 (Ref:532737)   #2
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new livery somewhat unispired IMHO... how about getting an artist to do it? or a graphic designer?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:10 (Ref:532742)   #3
a_r_c_a
Racer

a_r_c_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GUESS WHO IS BACK...

the new Panoz(jml) livery is from another world!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:47 (Ref:532776)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
What, the planet Bland?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:32 (Ref:532829)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
OK, we all like lists, so how about favourite sportscar liveries? In no particular order -

Gulf (any car, but 917 and R8 looked particularly good)
Schnitzer McLaren-BMWs from 1997
Rothmans Porsche 956
D2/Mannesmann Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM
Zakspeed Porsche 911 GT1-98

Of course there are dozens of others...
Old 11 Mar 2003, 17:45 (Ref:532926)   #6
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, the Panoz Livery is a snore.....

The Audi also looked better with the red/yellow highlights.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 17:51 (Ref:532941)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree anything Gulf, but my particular favourites were the Gulf-sponsored McLaren F1s.

Also the gorgeous Shell-liveried works 962s of 1988.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:00 (Ref:532957)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen the livery of the new Panoz yet. I hope its more attractive than their cars have been over the years!

As for the best liveries, Ayedasi is absolutely right, but also:
-Any Martini livery, especially the pschedelic colourscheme on the second-placed 917L at Le Mans in '70
-Jagermeister 956/962
-Kouros and AEG Saubers (1986-88)
-That fab 'Crocodile' livery on the Audi R8 at Adelaide in the 'race of the millenium'.

Am sure there are loads. I'll have to go away and think of some more....
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:42 (Ref:533034)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a photo of the Panoz:
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/alm...eb-tm-0107.jpg

My favorites are:
Any Porsche or Audi in Gulf or Sunoco colors
Rothmans Porsches
Castrol Jaguars
Goodwrench Corvettes
962 or 911 GT1 with Texaco sponsorship
962 with Miller sponsorship

But it's hard to go wrong with British racing green, blue for France, silver for Germany, or America's blue with white stripes.

I know tobacco's been legislated to death, but where have all the beer, oil and gasoline sponsorships gone?!?!?!?!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 11 Mar 2003 at 18:45.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:45 (Ref:533040)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks...dull. Alright i think is the word. As for liveries in genral, i agree with Ayse, those Shell Porsches looked great, but i also liked more recently the Toyota livery.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:47 (Ref:533045)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just looked at it again, doesn't it look like the 3rd placed Audi at Le Mans last year?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:36 (Ref:533113)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back the 1997 DAMS livery!

Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:54 (Ref:533128)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find the new Panoz livery boring, snoring, plain Jane, you name it...

Personally, I like some of the CART and IRL Looks better...the Marlboro on the Penske cars...the Valvoline and the Players paint schemes on the Reynard chassis in recent years...

But if we're talking strictly sportscars...the Old Ford GT40s were sharp (with or without Gulf colors)...

The Gulf scheme, the Toyota Scheme, and I like the Champion Audi as ellthe Hot Wheels look for the MG was OK...

The American Spirit look for Panoz could have been cool...paint a red, white and blue tinted Eagle with the beak and head on the nose (Like Gurney did for his Eagle Chassis in CART) with the wings arching on the front fenders and the tips running down the sides of the top to the back fenders and the tail spreading near the wing on the back...

Bottom line...I havent seen much imagination in paint schemes in a Long, long time...many cars look clean, but boring...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 20:15 (Ref:533141)   #14
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked Team Persson's Mercedes CLK-GTR from 1998, very cool with the bodywork "peeled back."

Nothing beats any livery by Gianpiero Moretti though...
Old 11 Mar 2003, 20:21 (Ref:533142)   #15
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I caught a glimpse of the new Panoz look, but i only saw it for a second before i nodded off...I loved the "Spirit of America" paint job, especially with the Evo bodywork, but i guess that with JML heading the charge they've let him redo the cars. I kinda like Tim's idea for the eagle paintjob, and i think it would have been smart to stick with some patriotic theme or some look that fans could really gravitate towards in order to get some more interest in the panoz cars and the series itself. Potential sponsors (i'm sure even Don would love some help with the bills) would probably like a more prominent car too.

As far as favorite paint jobs goes:
- Gulf Audi
- Spirit of America Panoz
- Gulf 917
- BMW Art Car (they raced the M1 Art Car didn't they?)
- There's been some others but i just can't think of them right now..i'll come back and update this later when i think of 'em
Old 12 Mar 2003, 01:28 (Ref:533422)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked Gunnar's Panoz that he drove last year. That would be appropriate this year too, actually.

My favourite besides the Spyker is the Rothmans Porsche. That car was perfect in every way. And the paint job was nice as well. And to look at, I liked the Prost 03. It was a beautiful car although it was about 5 miles per hour slower than a diecast.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 02:04 (Ref:533433)   #17
Osella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
But it's hard to go wrong with British racing green, blue for France, silver for Germany, or America's blue with white stripes.

I know tobacco's been legislated to death, but where have all the beer, oil and gasoline sponsorships gone?!?!?!?!
Tell it like it is!!!
Old 12 Mar 2003, 02:23 (Ref:533438)   #18
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, was that some kind of jab at the war machine (a.k.a. U.S.)? If so, very nice But either way, I had to smile at the whole Gunnar Racing setup last year. They had everything right down to the old Army Jeep - one of the team members told me that that thing was pretty much entirely made of Bondo because they'd only found it the week before and it was all rusted out. Very entertaining. I wish that more teams would have fun like that...But then again I guess some other teams' version of fun is going fast and winning...

Last edited by danhx; 12 Mar 2003 at 02:24.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:02 (Ref:533862)   #19
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the gulf colours were good, especially on the GT40, but then anything would look good on that car!
Old 12 Mar 2003, 16:18 (Ref:533951)   #20
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like some of the Porsche 911 (GT2/3, 996 etc) paint schemes over the last few years.

The Repsol car, with a night time view on the side was smart to look at close up.
The Tules car with the cartoon women all over it.
The shark mouth Frisinger cars (not a toatl paint job but little bits to make you aware of the car).
etc etc etc.

Other cars

The Suntec Jaguar in green was a good looking car.
The racing for Belgium 333SP.
The Den Bla Avis Panoz.

Cars with simple schemes but good to look at, the list would be endless.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 16:39 (Ref:533975)   #21
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the pic Lee Janotta,

The Panoz livery is a bit on the dull side isn't it?

I quite liked the rather strange purple that Jaguar used in 1991 on their XJR14s and 12s, though I know the livery isn't to everyone's liking. I agree that the Moretti shcemes are always good. Gulf colours are always good - I've got a collection of Gulf Racing diecasts from the '68 GT40 to Johansson Audi, though I can't seem to get hold of the '71 Le Mans 917L that Siffert and Bell drove (#17). I know Minichamps did it, but I can't seem to find one. Any ideas?
Old 13 Mar 2003, 03:12 (Ref:534689)   #22
Osella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Osella
new livery somewhat unispired IMHO... how about getting an artist to do it? or a graphic designer?
i've changed my mind. Panoz just look cool.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 04:32 (Ref:534732)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well the panoz livery is dull, but a vast improvement over the last one, that is what i was getting at, the Visteon colors being some of my favorite for the LMP. The spirit of america was good, and the eagle idea is smarts. Now here's a new topic, would we like to see Dan Gurney forestall the F1 embarrassment that an american effort would be right now (unless it would be Cadillac!) or let Gurney go back and tackle LeMans?