Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Aug 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1389229)   #1
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
J.J.S.S.Express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Searching for Jaguar XJR-14

Hy ! Bonjour !

I'm the webmaster of XJR-14 website.
http://site.voila.fr/xjr14/index.html
I actually update my website and I search to join some british guys who have send me some news and picture in 2003 after the restoration of the 2 Jaguar XJR-14 chassis 591 and 791 by TWR : Ian Edwards and Steve Carr. I have lost their e-mail adress.

Is somebody remember the name of the actual owner of the XJR614/591 ? I think it's Mr. Bennet but I'm not sure.

Aparently, the restorators have used my website because TWR have lost the original livery plan.

If you can help me, if you have a news, please tell me
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1389338)   #2
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pics
Old 23 Aug 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1389439)   #3
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On your site, you mention the last race for the WSC Porsche was Donington 1997. But Porsche officially brought an updated WSC, called an "LMP" to the Petit Le Mans in 1998, along with the LM winning Porsche GT1 (in which Dalmas flipped during the race).

Picture: http://motorsport.com/photos/select....etite_Le_Mans#

Is the LMP considered a derivation of the Jaguar XJR -14? or was it an all new car designed by Porsche?
Old 23 Aug 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1389447)   #4
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs346
On your site, you mention the last race for the WSC Porsche was Donington 1997. But Porsche officially brought an updated WSC, called an "LMP" to the Petit Le Mans in 1998, along with the LM winning Porsche GT1 (in which Dalmas flipped during the race).

Picture: http://motorsport.com/photos/select....etite_Le_Mans#

Is the LMP considered a derivation of the Jaguar XJR -14? or was it an all new car designed by Porsche?
Hi
I don't know. The front bonnet is very different. The Porsche wsc-95/001 (ex XJR-14/691 and ex XJR-14/192) is now in the joest privat musuem. I think in 1998 it was some new car. But I don't have any clues.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1389464)   #5
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chassis of the LMP 98 was a new one, not a converted TWR one. Porsche made something like a rebuilt / copy of the old TWR chassis for the LMP 98.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1389481)   #6
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
The Chassis of the LMP 98 was a new one, not a converted TWR one. Porsche made something like a rebuilt / copy of the old TWR chassis for the LMP 98.
ok thank you

do you have some news about the Porsche WSC-95 chassis 001 who win Le Mans in 1996 and 1997 ?
The Porsche WSC-95 chassis 002 who realised the pole position in Le Mans in 1996 was the Jaguar XJR-14 chassis 691. (transform in WSC before chrismas 1994 for the Daytona free practice in january 1995)
But the sister car, it was a new chassis from TWR ?
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1389497)   #7
Mad-Dog-mk2
Rookie

Mad-Dog-mk2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the story about the second WSC95 as according to a Jaguar book I've got:
XJR-14/591 was restored by TWR and sold in 2003,
XJR-14/691 / XJR-14/192 was converted into the winning (96 & 97) WSC95 late '94,
XJR-14/791 was in the TWR collection (now sold),

Was the second WSC95 chassis built new for the WSC95 by TWR?
As if so it seems funny that a chassis built in March '91 and converted was more successful then a chassis that must have been built to the modified design.

And it's how Porsche always say it's a derivate of a 956 - as it's got a 956 style nose and nothing about it being a 4 year old XJR-14 tub - ref the radiator intakes.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1389521)   #8
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Dog-mk2
What was the story about the second WSC95 as according to a Jaguar book I've got:
XJR-14/591 was restored by TWR and sold in 2003,
XJR-14/691 / XJR-14/192 was converted into the winning (96 & 97) WSC95 late '94,
XJR-14/791 was in the TWR collection (now sold),

Was the second WSC95 chassis built new for the WSC95 by TWR?
As if so it seems funny that a chassis built in March '91 and converted was more successful then a chassis that must have been built to the modified design.

And it's how Porsche always say it's a derivate of a 956 - as it's got a 956 style nose and nothing about it being a 4 year old XJR-14 tub - ref the radiator intakes.
;-) I have the same Jaguar book
I think the winning WSC95 was a new chassis. The old XJR-14/691 have just make the pole in 1996.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1390987)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pics, JJSS, the XJR14 was such a stunning car. I remember seeing it at the 1000kms at Silverstone - an incredible piece of kit!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1391014)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Check the www.goodwood.co.uk website and look under Motorsport and Festival of Speed 2005 as there were two Jaguars there this year. If they are indeed the ones then I suggest e-mailing Goodwood to ask for the contact details.

I hope that helps.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1391025)   #11
Mad-Dog-mk2
Rookie

Mad-Dog-mk2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't see any XJR-14's there, sure you're not thinking of the earlier Group C and IMSA Jag's?
Old 25 Aug 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1391041)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure, I saw (and helped unload) two Silk Cut Jaguars, one of which raced in the HSCC meeting at Brands Hatch a few weeks ago followed by Silverstone the following weekend.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1391056)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stephen, I don't think they could have been XJR14s - certainly not at Brands anyway. You may have been thinking of the XJR11 which Gary Pearson was driving at Brands, as was, I think, an XJR12LM, also in Silk Cut livery. I believe for some reason the XJR14 and the Peugeot 905 are excluded from the Group C races - can anyone confirm that? Is it because thay are not strictly Group C cars? We had the IMSA equivalent XJR16 at Brands.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1391057)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
ahh right, I stand corrected. Cheers John
Old 25 Aug 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1391135)   #15
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Stephen, I don't think they could have been XJR14s - certainly not at Brands anyway. You may have been thinking of the XJR11 which Gary Pearson was driving at Brands, as was, I think, an XJR12LM, also in Silk Cut livery. I believe for some reason the XJR14 and the Peugeot 905 are excluded from the Group C races - can anyone confirm that? Is it because thay are not strictly Group C cars? We had the IMSA equivalent XJR16 at Brands.
Yes it's true, peugeot 905 is excluded.
Team Europe would run with this car : http://www.equipeeurope.com/img/015905.jpg
but group C organizer doesn't want. 905 is like a formula 1 ! lol

XJR14-591 and 791 is now in USA. Ian Edwards tell me that the new owner of XJR-14 chassis don't want to run in classic race. He said "cars were also fully track tested before it was shipped to America."

But who have testing the car in 2003 ? Martin Brundle ?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1391607)   #16
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably because they're not really Group C cars, but Bernie's F1 in disguise sportscar series.

YES, the XJR14 and 905 were great race cars, but the rules they were built for were designed to kill the increasingly popular sportscar series (and succeeded in doing so)

Cheers.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1391648)   #17
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First racing cars I ever saw.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1391779)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Strange that the IMSA XJR16s are over here and the XJR14s are in America!
Old 26 Aug 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1392128)   #19
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or a silk cut sponsored jaguar @ brands hatch that look identical
Old 27 Aug 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1392329)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
Or a silk cut sponsored jaguar @ brands hatch that look identical
Sorry, please explain.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1392768)   #21
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the relationship between the bud light XJR16 and the XJR14 GTP? Presumable the XJR16 is a later model and I’m guessing it uses a V6 TT?
Old 28 Aug 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1392828)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I believe that they are very similar, but the IMSA car, the XJR16, had a smaller 3-litre version of the 3.5 fitted to the XJR14, plus, I guess, a few other differences required by the respective regs. for the two series.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1392848)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC the 16 was based on the 14, but with the 3l V6 Turbo fitted (the XJR10, XJR11 motor as well as the XJ220 and metro engine). The 14 had the Ford HB.

I saw one of these engines in the Brooklands museum. It is quite odd to see it with that engine cover.

Old 28 Aug 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1392932)   #24
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
IIRC the 16 was based on the 14, but with the 3l V6 Turbo fitted (the XJR10, XJR11 motor as well as the XJ220 and metro engine). The 14 had the Ford HB.

I saw one of these engines in the Brooklands museum. It is quite odd to see it with that engine cover.

Acutally the two cars have almost no relationship with the XJR-14 being the work of Ross Brawn and the XJR-16 being the work of TWR Valparaiso's (USA) Ian Reed. That they have similar rear wing architecture is too coincidental and you must make the allusion that Reed had an inkling to what Brawn was up to but frankly I wouldn't be surpised if that wasn't the case. Aerodynamacists and Designers are a strange breed and even within the same organisation you see massive competition. So I wouldn't be too surprised if the XJR-14 effort was 100% cloistered from the XJR-16 design team. Also from what I've heard, Walkinshaw was somewhat irritated about the XJR-16, he figured they could just carry on with the XJR-10 over in IMSA. In 1992 Valparaiso TWR wanted to further update the XJR-16 but Walkinshaw put his foot down and forced the XJR-14 on them. Dowe etal in the US were less than amused and the constant infighting between TWR UK and TWR USA certainly did more harm than good over all the years of the TWR IMSA program. What the IMSA effort needed was consistency between '91 and '92 and in the end the effort suffered. The XJR-14 was a mega car for sure (but then so was the XJR-16), but I can't say it was the right car at the right time (designed to European specs for European tracks vs. the XJR-16 which was exclusive to IMSA GTP regulations). Not to mention, it was same car as raced in '91. It had no additional development where as had TWR USA continued with the XJR-16 they would have further developed it for '92.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1392935)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the clarification. The seperate operations in the US and UK were never as close as they could be. Even when resources were pooled at Le Mans many could still see they were different teams!

How close were the 10 and 11. The 10 was introduced earlier in the US and I assumed the 11 was the same apart from those minor changes demanded by the regs. Were they developed independently too?