Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1699185)   #1
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if? / Car #0 in 2007 ? (MERGED)

What if Micheal Schumacher wins the World Championship and decides to retire after this season? Will his replacement or team mate have to drive with number 1 or with number 0 as Damon Hill did in 1993 and 1994?

http://f1gt.ifrance.com/images/GP/IMGP543c.jpg
http://f1gt.ifrance.com/images/GP/IMGP553c.jpg
Old 1 Sep 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1699189)   #2
hando
Rookie

Australia
At my desk copping head....
hando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there's no WDC to carry the no.1 next season on their car, then I think that top constructer would take C1 and C2 in pit. As for the race...well it hasn't happened for a while. My guess would be that there would be no car running with the no.1 decal on it. Any guess as to what the replacement driver for that team (team of previous WDC driver) would use?
Old 1 Sep 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1699242)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't make a lot of difference nowadays as the cars don't carry numbers that are visible anyway!

However, I think that if the reigning champ isn't racing then the number 1 shouldn't be used.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1699275)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed! Does always seem a little weird.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1699299)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
What if Micheal Schumacher wins the World Championship and decides to retire after this season? Will his replacement or team mate have to drive with number 1 or with number 0 as Damon Hill did in 1993 and 1994?
What if he doesn't win? We won't need to worry about this!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1699432)   #6
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am almost sure that Ferrari will have #0 and #2 if Schumacher wins and retires.

I think it's more likely to have Massa in car #0 than Kimi.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1699487)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think they will just use #1 and #2 as normal, certainly if they win the constructors.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1699572)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember reading in the FIA sporting regulations that:

#1 is reserved for the current world champion and #2 is for his teamate, the numbers are then allocated in order of the manufacturers championship.

If the current world champion does not race then the numbers #0 and #2 are allocated to the winner of the manufacturers championship.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1699578)   #9
jnr blue 91
Rookie

United Kingdom
jnr blue 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well thats that then
Old 1 Sep 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1699579)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Although I could be mistaken...
Old 2 Sep 2006, 00:02 (Ref:1699634)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for clearing that up (supposedly- ) MagnetON. I always wondered how the numbering went if say Schuey won the WDC and Renault won the WCC.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 2 Sep 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1699939)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I belive Jody Scheckter also used #0? Was it 1979? I can't remember.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1699945)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza

However, I think that if the reigning champ isn't racing then the number 1 shouldn't be used.

Agreed, and always find it weird watching Premat driving the #1 car in GP2
Old 2 Sep 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1700154)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scheckter used 11 and 1 in his Ferrari time. He used 20 when racing for Wolf, and 3 when in Tyrrell, that I recall...

It seems perfectly right to not use number 1 if the champ isn't racing. After all, I started cheering for Damon Hill (and started to follow F1 at all, at age 7) because he had number 0 in his car!
Old 2 Sep 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1700189)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scheckter used 0 at McLaren in 73, I think
Old 2 Sep 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1700194)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi

It seems perfectly right to not use number 1 if the champ isn't racing. After all, I started cheering for Damon Hill (and started to follow F1 at all, at age 7) because he had number 0 in his car!
And I'm sure the FIA have taken that into account!

Thing is though, it doesn't matter. As people have said....you can't see the numbers at all. Damon's Williams FW15C had a massive 0 splattered across a low nosecone, nowadays teams daren't increase the numbers above 3cm as they will upset their sponsors so they plant a spec of a numeral decal in a place on the car undetectable to mere mortals.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1700229)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
And I'm sure the FIA have taken that into account!

Thing is though, it doesn't matter. As people have said....you can't see the numbers at all. Damon's Williams FW15C had a massive 0 splattered across a low nosecone, nowadays teams daren't increase the numbers above 3cm as they will upset their sponsors so they plant a spec of a numeral decal in a place on the car undetectable to mere mortals.
hmmmm....you would have thought that by now someone would have just called their company '1'
Old 3 Sep 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1700656)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both drivers who've carried 0 on their car have gone on to win the title in later years - a fact I hope Ferrari will consider if this happens.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1725473)   #19
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car #0 in 2007?

Just got me wondering during Martin Brundle's grid walk when he was speaking to Kimi. If Michael does indeed win the title, will either Kimi or Massa get the #0 car, like Damon Hill did back in 1993 and 1994, when both Mansell and Prost left as defending champion? Or has that idea become obselete over the intervening decade?
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 2 Oct 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1725482)   #20
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know the rule is that the defending champion gets the use of the #1. If the title is not defended the team in which the champion drove for gets the use of the numbers 0 and 2. Out of Massa and Raikkonen, I believe the decesion is Ferrari's at to who gets which number.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1725489)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
See here, also discussed recently

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87936
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1725781)   #22
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool beans.

Admins, feel free to merge/delete this thread. It's served its purpose lol
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1725789)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Suze ! Sweet as always
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1725790)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I would like to see the return of car #0, haven't seen it in a long time... Let's hope Kimi gets the honours, they usually give their number 1 driver the higher number...
Old 3 Oct 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1725809)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Honestly, it would be nice to see the #0 in F1 again !