Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2003, 23:45 (Ref:816501)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Webber to Renault in 05?

Quote:
Full story available at Planet-F1.com
According to Briatore, who is Renault's team boss and Webber's manager, he has an option on the Australian for 2005. And may choose to use it.

"We have an option on him in 2005, so we have to decide whether to exercise this option," Briatore told Atlas F1.
Interesting.

Alot of this I think depends on Alonso. IMO, Flav will make sure either Alonso or Webber is sitting in a Renault at any one time. If Alonso goes to Ferrari, Webber will be pulled in, if not, he may be allowed to chase the Williams drive.

One way or the other, I dont see both of them getting a top line drive at the same time.
Old 20 Dec 2003, 00:26 (Ref:816531)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's hoping Webber gets to follow the Williams path
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Dec 2003, 04:25 (Ref:816581)   #3
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber & Alonso in Renault at the same time would be the strongest driver lineup in F1 today bar none and would give Renault its best chance to take both titles
Old 20 Dec 2003, 04:33 (Ref:816585)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are dead on right wrex.It will all be about wheeling and dealing
Old 20 Dec 2003, 05:05 (Ref:816591)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

One way or the other, I dont see both of them getting a top line drive at the same time.
Not too sure, imo, Flav will do all he can to keep Alonso, and i can see Trulli being replaced by Webber.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
Webber & Alonso in Renault at the same time would be the strongest driver lineup in F1 today bar none and would give Renault its best chance to take both titles
JPM and Kimi at McLaren would still be stronger
Old 20 Dec 2003, 05:19 (Ref:816597)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
its not till 05 and give both Mark & Alonso another year so by then I don't think so. but again its only my opinion
Old 20 Dec 2003, 05:53 (Ref:816617)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
Not much pointhaving a strong driver line up if the car is craap
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Dec 2003, 06:56 (Ref:816652)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
true but hey the Renualt is far from craap it would have to be 1 of the better chassis actually
Old 20 Dec 2003, 08:45 (Ref:816667)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see Webber & Alonso team up for Renault, i think the competition would bring the best out of both of them. Whether Mark is with Williams or Renault for 2005 doesn't really worry me as both cars would are better than Jaguar at the moment.
Old 20 Dec 2003, 12:28 (Ref:816735)   #10
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Webber and Alonso were together at Renault, where would Montagny goes?
Old 20 Dec 2003, 17:47 (Ref:816952)   #11
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, the top 4 teams' driver market looks like this for '05, and ultimately it all comes down to whether Schumi retires or not.

McLaren Mercedes
Raikkonen, Montoya, Coulthard, Villeneuve, Wurz, everybody else???
So it's all settled for McLaren for 2005 then. The contracts have been settled, and F1's ultimate driver line-up is in place. Or is it??? Montoya looks almost certain to come in, but Raikkonen might not be best pleased with his arrival, and his contract is only optional for '05. And if he did go, who would replace him? DC has to move mountains next year if he's to stay, but who else is available. IMO this is one of the least talked about but also most important aspects of the '05 silly season. Test driver Wurz would be an option, but would he perhaps be a little rusty racing-wise? There were tentative rumours that Villeneuve wanted a McLaren test seat for '04, but looks to be doing NASCAR or some other form of racing next season. Will that harm his chances? If he doesn't succeed with Williams, then he'll pounce on this chance. But are there any Merc junior drivers that could be brought up, or indeed any current F1 drivers? The list of drivers who could replace Raikkonen, unlike the others, is endless...

Ferrari
M Schumacher, Barrichello, Fisichella, Massa, Alonso, Raikkonen
IMO, their line-up centres around whether Schumi retires or not. If he does, then Barrichello will probably stay on to help a new teammate learn the ropes. If he doesn't then Barrichello will probably get the chop anyway. Who that new teammate will be exactly is the big question. The Sauber boys look to have a good chance, but if the Scudi are prepared to part with cash then they may look at buying Alonso or Raikkonen out of their contracts.

Williams BMW
R Schumacher, Barrichello, Villeneuve, Rosberg, Piquet Jr, Button, Webber
I think it's only a matter of time before Schumi II makes way for a younger driver, but I don't think it'll be until '06-'07. If Barrichello gets the boot from Ferrari then he'll start talking to other teams immediately. Villeneuve is a possible, but has been in the doldrums for perhaps too long. Webber is often talked of as the favourite, but will Flav be willing to let him go, particularly if Alonso gets a Ferrari drive? Button is another option, but needs to shine in '04 against Webber to have a chance. Rosberg has been more solid than Piquet Jr in F1 testing, so perhaps has a chance.

Renault
Alonso, Webber, Montagny, Trulli, Kovalainen, Lopez
I agree 100% with Wrex here. Briatore is unlikely to allow both of his stars to be in other teams, but he may choose to only hold on to one of them. But if he does let them both go, who will line up for Renault. Montagny and Trulli? Unlikely, IMHO. Kovalainen and Lopez have a chance as well though. Interesting point about Montagny there, Mekola, but I think he'll either remain as a test driver, replace Trulli if both Webber & Alonso shift or be placed by Briatore in a team like Minardi to learn F1 racing. Whatever happens, Trulli has to pull out all the stops in '04 to save his rear end.

It's all interconnected, and '05 could prove to be the start of F1's new post-Schumi era

Last edited by crozier74; 20 Dec 2003 at 17:53.
So I ride out to the old sundown