Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:00 (Ref:795400)   #1
Dani Interlagos
Rookie

Dani Interlagos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Archie Scott-Brown

Sorry, if someone already post that history. I’m new here and I didn’t saw.
That Scotch man was born in 27 and does his season for the Connaught. He was extremely quick and his controlled sideslip was in the Moss’ level. Unfortunately, his bad luck was on the Chris Amon level. Four broke engines in five races.
But, it’s not the amazing part. Archie was victim of the prejudiced time he lived.
In the Italy GP, he achieved the pole position; with a worst car he was quicker than the Fangio’s Ferrari.
But, he was disqualified. Why? Because he was handicapped. He had a withered right arm (his arm ended in his elbow), his right foot had a 90 degrees rotation, and he barely could walk in a straight line.
Archie fight enormous adversity and became a great racer against the nature and the prejudice.
He died during a sports car race at Spa when his Lister-Jag crashed at the same spot, which claimed Dick Seaman's Mercedes in 1939 and died the following day.
Doing what he liked to do…

Please, excuse my bad English.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:39 (Ref:800335)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't worry Dani, your sentiments are clear and well-founded. It was outrageous that he was disqualified from that race. He had more talent than a vast majority of the grid (perhaps that was the problem).

Another one of those talents taken too early.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 19:04 (Ref:802925)   #3
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would include Archie in my list of favourite drivers, even though I wasn't even born when he raced. My interest in his career is due to his connection which Snetterton which is my local track and with Cambridge where he lived during his racing career. There is a memorial to him at Snetterton. and TVR Tuscans race for a trophy in his honour. I have wondered what he would have made of these 450bhp beasts, I bet he would have loved them. He was a great talent and apparantly loved as much by the public as Moss.

Dani, did you know there is a great book on the life of Archie, simply called Archie And The Listers by Robert Edwards. Don't know if you can get it over there. In it there is a great story that happened during qualifying for the Nurburg 1000ks, his first race abroad. He qualified first out of all the Jags and Dave Murray, of Ecurie Ecosse couldn't believe it. Murray asked Fangio to have a go in a Jag but even he couldn't beat Archie's time. It says a lot for the little Scotsman.

Steve B
Old 3 Dec 2003, 20:00 (Ref:802981)   #4
Dani Interlagos
Rookie

Dani Interlagos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tanks a lot for the hint. I’ll look for the book. It probably not to difficult to find, we have excellent bookstores here with almost everything.
I studied in Paris and there’s nothing there that I couldn’t find here.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 23:01 (Ref:805217)   #5
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
even though I wasn't even born when he raced.
Hard luck, Steve.

I was! And I feel privileged to be able to say that I saw him drive.

FANTASTIC is the only word I can think of to describe what this little man could do with a racing car.

I have discussed this with many people and yet even now, given his disabilities, I still do not understand how on earth he did it.

The accident at Spa was not just a tragedy - it robbed us of a man who, if allowed to, could have become one of the greats of British motor sport.

IMHO he already is!
Old 2 Apr 2004, 20:17 (Ref:927830)   #6
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my earliest and greatest memories was seeing A.S.B. drifting the big Green & Yellow Lister-Jag round Silverstone. A man of great courage in the face of adversity. His Memorey will live with me till my final days.