Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 13 May 2004, 13:31 (Ref:969833)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Archie Scott-Brown honoured today

William Archibald Scott-Brown was born on this day in Paisley Scotland, May 13th 1927.

'Archie' is remembered fondly in Cambridge as his family lived in the city and for his links with Brian Lister as the greatest driver of the Cambridge Lister-Jaguar marque. In his short career of only 7 years, he had 71 victories, 44 of those in Lister cars including 15 International wins.

He had this success despite adversity ( he had a malformed right arm), but died at Spa in 1958. He went off during a rain shower in his fine scrap for the lead with Masten Gregory. Archie's Lister 'VPP 9' left the road after the left hand kink before La Source (also where Dick Seaman was killed in 1939). The F1 pits are located on this spot now.

Today a 'blue' plaque is being unveiled in Cambridge to honour this fine sportsman with Brian Lister in attendance.

Archie's old garage is still standing but derelict. This was on the A604 road between Cambridge and Huntingdon, now known as the A14. It is next to the Travelodge, dead opposite the Cambridge Services.
I always think of the stories my father told me of him whenever I pass. A legend of the local car clubs, our local circuit Snetterton and the motorsport world in general.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:19 (Ref:969903)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm delighted at this. Archie Scott-Brown was one of those people who leaped off the page at me. I was born a decade after he died but I regard him as very much a hero.

Nice to see that other people remember him too.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:45 (Ref:969936)   #3
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truly a hero! Like Tim I was born too late to have seen him, but he appears to have been a fantastic driver despite his handicap, and to have been a true character. He was one of the few people to have been truly at home in a Lister Jag and so many of the photos of him show him drifting them perfectly around the corners. An excellent account is in "Archie and the Listers".

Duncan

PS There are stories of him inverting a car at a race meeting, then when crawling out from underneath. A Marshal arriving at the scene saw his deformed arm first and assumed that the rest of the arm had been lost in the incident and promptly fainted!
Old 13 May 2004, 14:48 (Ref:969938)   #4
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to echo what Tim says. It's good to see a driver of his calibre being honoured - his story deserves to be better known in the world at large. Funny how, when you see a picture of a Lister, you can immediately spot if it's Archie driving it - he has a very distinctive look and style!

Bob Marley
Old 13 May 2004, 14:55 (Ref:969941)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps the Supermods could add his name to our 'born on this day' section?
Not sure where the blue plaque will be displayed. I heard it on the local radio news but they did not say where. Possibly in Abbey Road where the George Lister engineering company was based, close to the river Cam. When I find out, I'll pop over and take a pic and post it here.
Old 13 May 2004, 15:49 (Ref:969980)   #6
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear to all the above. Perhaps fortunately I am old enough to have seen the man drive - at Aintree in 1957 at the Grand Prix meeting. He always was a hero of mine.
As Robert Edwards says, it is an interesting thought that today he probably would not get a licence - different times indeed
Tony Hodson
Old 13 May 2004, 20:47 (Ref:970256)   #7
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is good stuff.
As a kid, I saw him at Goodwood. I specifically remember he was very aggressive in his driving style - quite 'fearless' - in throwing the Lister Jag around. Intimidatory would be a good word. It was striking that he obviously had no fear in competing with Clark and Salvadory etc
Old 13 May 2004, 22:38 (Ref:970366)   #8
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be wrong but aren't blue plaques usually sited where a person was born or lived. If so it could be in Portugal Place where Archie lived.
Anyway it's great that Cambridge is honouring this great driver. I'm too young to have seen him drive but have heard many stories and read about him. He is a true racing hero of mine, one of the greats.

Steve B
Old 14 May 2004, 03:04 (Ref:970467)   #9
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is good news. I have a soft spot for Archie, more so since buying a copy of 'Archie and the Listers'.
Andrew do post a pic of the plaque.
Old 15 May 2004, 17:54 (Ref:971821)   #10
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fantastic sportsman, and one that deserves recognition outside of afficiandos of the sport. I've seen a plan of the lines he took round goodwood in the lister, and his car was virtually never in a straight line, a testament to the superb car control of Archie. He is a great example to everyone, not just fans of the sport, and to me he is one of those great what ifs had he not had his accident at Spa. Thanks Andrew for posting this.
Old 21 May 2004, 21:45 (Ref:978140)   #11
Gnuvolari
Rookie

Gnuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen this thread. Yes, Archie S-B was an oft referred-to legend during my formative years - my dad was always reminiscing about him, having known him well via the Cambridge 50 Car Club which he belonged to along with Brian Lister, Don Moore, etc.
I currently have on loan the Cambridge 50 Car Club photo album from the original photographer, Roger Bowyer. It is a major scanning job, but will be worth it. Lots of pics of Archie. Will post here as soon as, but it may take a while.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read in the local paper last week that the plaque is to go on a house in Hills Road, Cambridge?

Last edited by Gnuvolari; 21 May 2004 at 21:47.
Old 22 May 2004, 18:34 (Ref:979008)   #12
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am glad that Archie is being remembered. In researching my Masten Gregory biography, which can be purchased at www.mtcabooks.com if anybody is interested, it was quite apparent that he was an extremely talented driver, arguably the fastest British driver in his era, who unfortunately did not get show what he could do in major interntional events due to his "handicap."

I have some tidbits on Masten's rivalry with Archie in my book. Hopefully my efforts will result in Masten getting the recognition he truly deserves locally.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 10:55 (Ref:993721)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Photos of the plaque and unveiling ceremony, with a line up of Archie's cars at Marshall aerospace can be seen here
http://www.marshallgroup.co.uk/Lister/images.asp
Old 4 Jun 2004, 11:43 (Ref:993755)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is my favourite picture, full marks for just sticking your fingers in your ears rather than walking a bit further away.

Old 5 Jun 2004, 04:51 (Ref:994437)   #15
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew Thanks for bringing these photos to our attention.
Mick
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1020052)   #16
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a man Archie was. A real inspiration to disabled peple,a dna great racer in general.