Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jun 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1627661)   #1
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HSCC Brands Hatch June 3rd/4th

To the HSCC, all teams and organisers,
thank you for a trully memorable weekend. Yes, the weather helped, especially after Silverstone 2 weeks ago. Due to the number of incidents us marshals had to deal with, you were certainly were not hanging around and showing your wonderful machinery at their true potential, or maybe you just weren't used to racing on a dry circuit .
Well done to Simon Hadfield (Derek Bell Trophy), Richard Piper (Orwell Supersports) and David Mercer (Group C) for winning their races on both Saturday & Sunday. A big thank you to Adrian Newey for his great drives, at exeptional speeds (are you mad??!!) in, my favourite all time racing car, the Ford GT40. Thanks also to Richard Meins, Leo Voyazides and Shaun Lynn for their fine examples.
Thanks to the team of the JPS Lotus, not in the programme and Simon Diffey for his Surtees, in the Derek Bell Trophy. I hope Graham Willcox gets his Hesketh back on the track for Silverstone. Well done to Philip Harper (Formula 2) for making up for the disappointment of Silverstone.
The Group C cars I have mentioned in another thread, so I'll move on to the Orwell Supersports guys. Richard Piper, you are mad, but thank you, that Mclaren M8F is awesome, especially in your hands. Thanks to the German guys for bringing their beasts over . I hope Gerd Wuensch's Lola T222 will make it back on the circuit. Well done to Peter Hoffman for finishing 3rd on Sunday, after starting at the back, but why paint your M8F pink???!!!
Once again I thank you all and hope to see you again soon, as everybody should (memories are made of this).
Old 5 Jun 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1627743)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So now, we need someone to put some pics up here!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1627771)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went on the Sunday and took a few (poor) photos. I'll put some on here tomorrow.
It was a great day for racing, really warm and sunny.

It didn't have any races quite as exciting as the pre-61 race last time at Brands for the Superprix, but the Group C and European F2 races were certainly contested at a heck of a pace.

One photo for now; I don't know why it would be painted pink either, but it looked pretty good I thought
Old 5 Jun 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1627780)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, looks pretty striking! Looking forward to some more pics!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1627794)   #5
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To White Flag Man, and all the others dressed in orange - Thanks!! It may not always be obvious, but most drivers do appreciate what you do.

If we're at Brands, and staying overnight, breakfast at Hailwood's is worth it for the banter alone!

Marshals are a special breed, and there aren't enough of you so ...........

Do I need to draw a diagram?..........
Old 5 Jun 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1627800)   #6
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went on Saturday and what a great set of cars there was running.

The Orwell Supercars were great to watch and listen to, combine those with Group Cs, screaming one litre F3s, F1 and F5000s in the DBT and an excellent field of F2s it was a amazing meeting.

The winner of the Orwell races, Richard Piper in a McLaren M8F
http://images.fotopic.net/yhuu0n.jpg

and Simon Hadfield in a Chevron B37
http://images.fotopic.net/yhuvyf.jpg

I was surprised how few spectators were there on Saturday, given the cars running, but the meeting was a great joy for me and the few others.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1627804)   #7
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Summer arrived!

Yes, a most enjoyable meeting with the warm sunny weather helping greatly. Everyone has their favourites. I have always liked sports cars and the Group C machinery in particular, but it was such a reminder of earlier days seeing the F3 machines of the 1960s - sleek bodies without wings. Many youngsters of the 1960s must have drawn a Brabham or Chevron or Titan lookalike. The two from Sweden brought interesting cars: Leif Joensson in the ex Charles Lucas Titan Mk 3 and Ferdinand Gustafson in the ex Ahrens/Peterson BT18. It was a shame that some ten-tenthers had problems.

Alan Brown
Old 5 Jun 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1627806)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Thanks Alan,
From the feedback on the Marshal's forum, you guys appreciated us a lot, and we thank you too.
Sorry it got a bit messy during Saturday practise, with all the Red flags, but as you say, there just wasn't enough of us to deal with the incidents and keep the practise going. I've rearranged my calendar today so that I can make it to Silverstone in July, can't wait.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1627898)   #9
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=White flag man]Thanks Alan,
From the feedback on the Marshal's forum, you guys appreciated us a lot, and we thank you too.
Sorry it got a bit messy during Saturday practise, with all the Red flags, but as you say, there just wasn't enough of us to deal with the incidents and keep the practise going.

It is not only that, I was the Observer at Westfield, (Sat), and could not allow such fine machinery you guys produce sit near the edge of the track; "just in case!" At the previous HSCC Meeting, I was at Stirlings, and had a similiar problem with the Amon sitting on the grass, although not a "red-flag", it did create a third Pace Lap for the GP Masters, and a delayed start!!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1627918)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
The winner of the Orwell races, Richard Piper in a McLaren M8F
http://images.fotopic.net/yhuu0n.jpg
Great photo. Sounds like it was an impressive event I missed

Looking forward to more photos.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1628154)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK here goes with some photos. Apologies in advance for catch fencing etc...

I think the first thing we did on arrival is head for the paddock, to look at some of the Derek Bell Trophy cars, so that's where I'll begin.
First, David Coplowe's Surtees TS19, with Jaguar XJ220 road car in background

Simon Diffey's ex-Mike Hailwood Surtees TS8

The cars of Tony Trimmer (Lola T332), Frank Lyons (McLaren M26) and just visible, Judy Lyons (Hesketh 308E)
Old 6 Jun 2006, 06:03 (Ref:1628159)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Now for some race shots.

The Sports Racing Masters race was led away by Adrian Newey in his Ford GT40, everyone else dicing it out behind in Druids

Adrian hurtling down the back straight, on his way to second place.

A couple of the other GT40s in the race
On the left, Richard Meins leads Leo Voyazides. And on the right Shaun Lynn.

Next up was the European Formula 2 race, which I didn't really get any good photos of, but it was close up front until Martin Stretton's March 712 gave up on him coming out of Graham Hill Bend in the middle of the race. I can't remember who won it, but in the end it was a convincing victory. There was a hell of a scrap further back in the pack for the places in the bottom end of the top ten between about 5 cars.

After the lunch break, it was the turn of the mighty Group C cars.
David Mercer led away, with Justin Law in hot pursuit. That was how it was to remain though, and Mercer won quite convincingly in the end.
Anyway, looking through the rather thin crop of photos I took...
Nick Rini's Jaguar XJR12D exiting Sheene Curve

A couple of fence obscured photos of David Mercer's Spice and Justin Law's Jaguar XJR12 respectively

(it's only doing this now that I realise how few I actually took that are actually any good. I must admit, I spent much more time with my camcorder than my camera, so it might be worth seeing about trying to get some video up, or failing that, extract some stills from it)
Old 6 Jun 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1628167)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Back to the Derek Bell Trophy cars now.
I managed to find a good perch on the inside of Surtees that got me a bit closer to take photos with my honestly totally unsuited camera...

A couple of the cars from earlier then, this time on track.
Tony Trimmer, at this point in second place, before the car broke down.

Simon Diffey

Race winner Simon Hadfield, Chevron B37

The last race of the day for us (we didn't stay for the Gentlemen Driver race), Orwell Supersports.
A blurred shot of Richard Piper, McLaren M8F just out of the bridge on Pilgrims Drop.

One of the cars that ended up in the gravel; Jim Gathercole's Coldwell C14B is lifted out of the kitty litter at Druids at the end of the race

That's it folks.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:01 (Ref:1628184)   #14
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Yes, looks pretty striking! Looking forward to some more pics!
Here are 68 of them! first go with a DSLR and without the use of a telephoto lens, quite pleased, start playing with the setting next!

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p30029201.html

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p30029235.html

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p30029255.html

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/c979917_49.html

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/c979917_25.html

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/c979917_1.html
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1628190)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Now those are more like it
Thanks Nordic, some nice pics there.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1628201)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan
To White Flag Man, and all the others dressed in orange - Thanks!! It may not always be obvious, but most drivers do appreciate what you do.

If we're at Brands, and staying overnight, breakfast at Hailwood's is worth it for the banter alone!

Marshals are a special breed, and there aren't enough of you so ...........

Do I need to draw a diagram?..........
Next time you are there look out for the ten-tenths badges on overals and come and say hello!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1628213)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
This is good, guys; keep them coming; I don't feel so alone now! Pirenzo, you're a brave man trying to grab shots through the fencing. Just serves to remind how safety has changed our viewing opportunities so much over the last 30+ years.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1628239)   #18
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure you won't object to me linking to these photos from the meeting, John. They're by my good friend Owain Shaw and I am sure you will agree that they are very striking!

http://owainshaw.fotopic.net/c980988.html
Old 6 Jun 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1628259)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
This is good, guys; keep them coming; I don't feel so alone now! Pirenzo, you're a brave man trying to grab shots through the fencing. Just serves to remind how safety has changed our viewing opportunities so much over the last 30+ years.
Well, I've only got a little point and shoot digital camera, if I went a bit further down the track closer to the pros and clear of debris fencing I'd feel rather silly standing next to them with their proper cameras

Ian; thanks for the links to Owain's photos. Striking indeed

Last edited by pirenzo; 6 Jun 2006 at 08:28.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1628262)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Trying some video uploads...
Concentrating on download speed rather than absolute quality for now (except the F2 one, I just shot it in lo-res mode unfortunately)

Derek Bell Trophy, back straight, down Pilgrim's Drop and beyond.

Start of the Orwell Supersports race. Richard Piper takes early defensive action.

Start of the European F2 race. Car stalls near back but gets away eventually

Group C/GTP cars on the entry to Stirling's Bend. David Mercer (Spice) and Justin Law (Jaguar) appear first, then a long gap to the rest of the field.

Hopefully that'll work for everyone...
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1628332)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland

Thanks for the great photos guys,
Although I take a camera, mainly to photograph the post I'm working on, we can't, for obvious reasons, take pictures of the action.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1628344)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I'm sure you won't object to me linking to these photos from the meeting, John. They're by my good friend Owain Shaw and I am sure you will agree that they are very striking!

http://owainshaw.fotopic.net/c980988.html
Of course, Ian, any relevant links are great. Unfortunately for me, despite altering my PC settings, I never seem to be able to get picture enlargements on a lot of those sites that use fotopic.com and this one is no exception! Anyone know a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Well, I've only got a little point and shoot digital camera, if I went a bit further down the track closer to the pros and clear of debris fencing I'd feel rather silly standing next to them with their proper cameras.
Well, I do ..... but then I am silly (and at my age, don't care!)
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1628393)   #23
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course, Ian, any relevant links are great. Unfortunately for me, despite altering my PC settings, I never seem to be able to get picture enlargements on a lot of those sites that use fotopic.com and this one is no exception! Anyone know a solution?
Do you get the thumbnails and then nothing happening when you click on them?

No idea what the solution is - just trying to figure out what the problem is! I think it could be do with some settings on the site designed to ensure that people can't nick the images.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1628441)   #24
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took a fair number of photos on Sunday. you can view some of my best ones at www.dcb-images.co.uk , just click on gallery and follow the link
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1628451)   #25
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my fave shots...http://www.dcb-images.co.uk/jps.bmp