Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2006, 01:20 (Ref:1594247)   #1
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is STR doomed to losing ground?

As the year progresses and V8 teams have their engines continually developed with one result being higher revs -- Is STR doomed to lose ground stuck as they are at 16,500???
Old 25 Apr 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1594274)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It would make sense.

I guess it depends on what they can do with the car.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1594390)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Possible, but it depends what they can do to maximise their potential as well. However it could happen.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1594468)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With young inexperienced drivers they have potential to improve in that area, but both the chassis and engine have been in use for a year and have probably reached their development limit. It would be intersting to see them apply to the FIA for extra revs later in the season once some of the other teams are running rleiably at higher revs.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1594472)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hehe that's going to go down soooo well!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1594507)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, it will be umm "interesting" to see what the other team managers have to say if Midland do ask the FIA for a larger air restrictor in the latter half of the 2006 season. As things are the Midland cars still look pretty fast in a straight line, they are losing speed more on the cars areodynamics rather than because of a poor enigne. Until this changes and the cars are visibily slower than the V8's down the straights I think things will stay as they are.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1594528)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Indeed, it will be umm "interesting" to see what the other team managers have to say if Midland do ask the FIA for a larger air restrictor in the latter half of the 2006 season. As things are the Midland cars still look pretty fast in a straight line, they are losing speed more on the cars areodynamics rather than because of a poor enigne. Until this changes and the cars are visibily slower than the V8's down the straights I think things will stay as they are.
Whoops Ive just noticed that Ive been putting "Midland" where I meant to put "Scuderia Torro Rosso".
Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1594638)   #8
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem to be in need of cranking on more downforce. If they do it and look slower they're sure to get alightly loser rules on the engine side. make it look like chassis improvements and that the engine is lacking.

In the long run though they are gonna be in trouble. Teams will develop and because the engines are new (and already fast) there is likely to be a lot of big development strides to come
Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1594664)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
As the other teams develop their V8 engines, STR are bound to lose ground, and I doubt that the FIA will risk the sizeable backlash that would occur should they decide to alter the V10 equivalency formula in STR's favour.

Given their unpopular use of V10 engines, I can't imagine that their slide down the order will cause tears to well up in their rivals' eyes.

Last edited by Super Hans; 25 Apr 2006 at 13:55.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1594978)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
As the other teams develop their V8 engines, STR are bound to lose ground, and I doubt that the FIA will risk the sizeable backlash that would occur should they decide to alter the V10 equivalency formula in STR's favour.
I would agree that Toro Rosso will gradually fall to the back of the midfield battle as the season progresses (although I can't imagine Aguri or MF1 being ahead of them). Having said that rules covering V8s and V10s refers to an equivalency formula. Therefore, the case can be made that the rev limit should be increased at intervals throughout the season in order for STR to maintain their current place in the pecking order, although I can't see it happening.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 07:23 (Ref:1595166)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I don't think the FIA can afford to, there's been enough of an outcry already about STR being able to use the restricted engines / Minardi etc etc.