Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 11 Jun 2010, 04:09 (Ref:2708864)   #1
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian cars imported to the UK

I thought I would start a thread to see if any members have memories or thoughts on these? I have a rough knowledge of Ford, Chrysler and Mitsubishi exporting cars to the UK, and there seems to be a common theme of high prices, very limited distribution and ultimately low sales.

The Chrysler case is particularly interesting as I understand the cars were intended to be a replacement for the Humber Super Snipe - and while it is a separate topic and don't know a lot about them, I find the Humber V8 one of those fascinating automotive blind alleys.

More recently there was the Verde Tempest (aka lpg-powered ute), Mitsubishi Diamante, and I remember seeing an AC that was intended to use the 4.0L lpg 6cyl engine - were any ever made? There was also a company intending to import tuned 650+ hp FPV Typhoons a couple of years ago, but that fell through (youtube link).

Some reference info:
http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/index.html
http://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/aussie-chry.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bEe-rXaZ_w

Looking at the 1960s/1970s major manufacturer activities in particular, does anyone have som thoughts on why it didn't work? Was it too much of a culture shock to change from a Humber to a Chrysler? Cars too downmarket for the price point, just plain too big, etc?

Also I am sure I have seen a picture of a Chrysler Charger in the UK but can't find it now, can anyone help?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2711919)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Britain had a bit of a motor industry still back then didn't it? The laws might have been protective against imports in the same way Australia's laws protect local manufacturing, in turn making importing, particularly from Europe, unfavourable.

You do see the odd Falcon or Holden around here although more often in the classifieds than on the road. And Vauxhall have been importing the top spec Commodores for a few years with a little bit of success.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2713062)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Thanks for the reply zac.

I'd expect it made a difference being in the Commonwealth however, although I'm sure there was still some duty. Eg most of the "American" cars sold new in Australia (back in the 40's-60's) came from Canada. Britain certainly had a kind-of thriving industry in the mid-late 60's, a decade later not so much...

Given the fuel price difference now I can understand why a car that averages say 24mpg would not be great, but I think the size of a Vauxhall VXR8 would be a problem more often (ie multiple times per tank-full!) unless you kept to a-roads and motorways only. Obviously the same applied in the 60's, but not to the same degree.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2714190)   #4
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
loads of old auz mopars here in the uk
http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=33
& a lad called sandy run this one for the old auz fords
http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/links.html
I race a 99 falcon V8 supercar & yes it is quite large for uk circuits
Old 21 Jun 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2715544)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Andy you would probably be surprised most Australian circuits are pretty narrow too! Thanks for the Mopar link, just what I was after!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2744069)   #6
The Grey Ghost
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
The Grey Ghost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's one for you ....

I've also got a couple of photos of a P76 body that was sent over to the UK and put through the assembly line to see if would fit
Old 9 Oct 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2771887)   #7
Harold
Rookie

Harold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford LTD in the UK

I remember seeing a Wheels article from the early 1980s where Ford Australia was exporting their top of the line LTD to the UK.

I will sift though my old magazines and see if can find it but I believe it was the FD or FE model, two quite different looking cars I know but it was a while ago I saw the article.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2771899)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Hi Harold, I have seen a similar reference, possibly on the Aus-Ford website above. From memory they were used by the Aust Embassy, not sure if or how many others were sold. My dad had an FC model (1979) LTD years ago with the 351 V8 - quite a car!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2775144)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Warm welcome to Harold. Not often we see a new poster starting in the Classic car forum. Hope that you stick around.
Old 30 May 2011, 02:40 (Ref:2887908)   #10
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remebee years ago Wheels magazine took a HDT VL Calais to Europe to do a comparison test among est Europe's best marques.The Calais stood up pretty well